How to install Pizzapup 301 to HD, then clone to CD?

Using applications, configuring, problems
oldog1984

How to install Pizzapup 301 to HD, then clone to CD?

#1 Post by oldog1984 »

ok guys here it is. i am wanting to format this drive need to know witch way to go been working on it all day i am doing something wrong. i want it to boot strait to hard drive with o/s on it .wanting to go with pizzapup 301 then add a couple of things to it. after that i would like to make a bootable cd with my setup of files so i can load on to family and friends hard drive.
i am tried of redoing windows for them.lol any help will be great thanks :lol:

oldog1984

in my menu.1st

#2 Post by oldog1984 »

# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Tue Apr 24 16:28:09 2007
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/sda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.sda.23853'. You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.sda.23853 of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
#timeout 0
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
root (hd0,0)
setup (fd0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

No help... Just moral support.

I've seen so many posts about Grub, & I've never got it working.

Suggestion: Try using the boot setup from "SysLinux" instead.
Last edited by sunburnt on Tue 24 Apr 2007, 23:12, edited 2 times in total.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

So, does that work, or are you asking what's wrong? If it doesn't work, solving it depends on which install you did. I'm not familiar with a Full-HD install, just the Frugal-HD install.

As for booting straight to Puppy, I think if you uncomment the timeout line it will go automatically. Change

Code: Select all

#timeout 0
to

Code: Select all

timeout 0

Once you get it installed, you're going to want to do a quick fix for an error with Pizzapup 3.0.1. I forgot to move the mplayerplug-in to the correct place after I moved Firefox, so streaming content won't show up right otherwise. All you need to do is move the files from /usr/local/share/firefox to /usr/local/firefox.

Also, it may help to make symlinks of the plugins at /usr/local/firefox/plugins to /root/.mozilla/plugins, especially if you plan to upgrade Flash (it comes with version 7, but 9 does work after you do the fix).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

oldog1984

#5 Post by oldog1984 »

ok thanks can anybody help me move this to where it needs to go?

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I moved it for you. Now we're in Users, because this doesn't seem like a beginner's task to me. Just the installing part maybe, but not the overall goal.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

rob2306

#7 Post by rob2306 »

Hi Olddog1984,

I'm not exactly sure what your current setup is (i.e. have you loaded Pizzapup to your HD from the live CD? etc), but I have Puppy 2.14 installed to my hard drive & my Grub menu.lst file is:
# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Mon Apr 16 17:36:45 2007
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/hda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.hda.20644'. You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.hda.20644 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
timeout 2
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
#title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
#pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
#root (hd0,0)
#setup (fd0)
#pause Press enter to continue.
#title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/hda1)
#root (hd0,0)
#setup (hd0,0)
#pause Press enter to continue.
#title - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
#root (hd0)
#title - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
#root (hd0)
I have hashed out (#) the lines that I don't want there & uncommented the timeout line so my system automatically boots from the hard drive when I power up. Your menu.lst file refers to sda - which suggests to me booting from a flash drive - i.e.
title Linux (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal .
Whereas mine is:
title Linux (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
Perhaps that is the problem. Note - I have actually installed Pizzapup 3 to my hard drive and it booted successfully some time ago (I am not using it nowthough).
If you could clarify what you have done etc, perhaps some of the more technical Puppy Users might be able to provide more detailed assistance.
Good Luck,
Rob.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

SATA drives also show up as /dev/sd**, so my Puppy is installed on /dev/sda5.

oldog1984

#9 Post by oldog1984 »

that was it thanks alot... thank you for your work puppy. i will let you know the setups it works on so

pizzapup 3.0 works on ecs km400-m2 all in one board with 256 megs of ram 10 gig hd

pizzapup 3.1 running on msi k9nbpm2-fid amd 3800 x2 65w chip 512 megs of ram sata 160 hd .when i did cd boot earlier today i had ata 1.40gig ata 2. 160gig sata 1. 120gig sata and plug in 2gig flash drive it was able to see everything .. thanks alot to evrybody ...
just want to tweak a couple of thing so i can do hard drive install on my 3 sisters computers
again thanks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldog1984

java

#10 Post by oldog1984 »

ok guys i lost again need to get java so the girls can play on line games any help will be great thanks again

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

Off the top of my head, go to the java web site. Download the Linux version of the Java Runtime, specifically the "self extracting .bin" Right click the .bin file it creates, go to "Properties". At the bottom, make sure the "executable" bits are checked. Close the Properties window. Press the back-quotes key (also tilde ~) to open a terminal at that location. Run <java-file>.bin where <java-file>.bin is the file you downloaded (you can use tab-completion to save some trouble). Answer the questions, I think they were all simple. It will either ask where to install to, or just put it where you are. You want it to go into /usr/local/, so if it makes a jre<version>/ directory where you are, just move it to /usr/local/. If it asks about where Mozilla or Firefox are installed, tell it /usr/local/firefox.

Okay, next we need to do the actual plugin. Go to the java directory in /usr/local/. I'm going to assume it's /usr/local/jre1.5.0_11/ in my directions. Symlink /usr/local/jre1.5.0_11/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so to /usr/local/firefox/plugins/ (middle-click and drag). Also, symlink to to /root/.mozilla/plugins/ for good measure (the .mozilla directory is hidden, click the "eye" button on the toolbar to show it. If you don't already have the plugins/ directory in it, make it).

Okay, now restart firefox, and it should hopefully work. If not, I can install it myself this afternoon and make a more accurate tutorial.

oldog1984

#12 Post by oldog1984 »

ok thanks alot for your help..