Can't download sfs as insufficient space on disk

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scoticus

#1 Post by Scoticus »

At last I have been able to download version 2.15 CE and OO22.sfs. I also loaded Opera 9.10 and currently Free Memory displays at 425 m. Attempting to load the web_sfs at 72 m I am told there is insufficient space on disk.

Up until now I have been working with the 2.15 Beta and only now have been able to download the 2.15 Final

When I downloaded Opera and unzipped it I was asked if I wished to delete the file. So far when this has been offered I have ignored this option. Am I doing the right thing ?

Can anyone offer guidance on this.

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Can't download sfs as insufficient space on disk

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Scoticus wrote:Can anyone offer guidance on this.
Menu-FileManager-MUT, Mount every disk drive you have, Rox every disk drive you have, click the up pointer to get to /, and then in such places as /mnt/home and /root/dotpups-download go through unneeded files with fire and sword. Open Opera and reduce the cache size...

Scoticus

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Sit Heel Speak

Many thanks for your reply. You have me totally confused. When I started with the beta 2.15 I was able to use /mnt/home to park the .sfs files for web and OOo but since using multisession somehow or other I can't find /mnt/home.

When you say Rox every disk drive I have and dispose of unneeded files again I struggle. Other than adding to the download Opera 9.1 pup and gemgame everything else is from the original 2.15CE download. Are you suggesting that rip out everything other than Opera and Gemgame.

Looking at Opera cache there seems to to a very large amount of stuff displayed but so far I have been unable to find a way to remove all the cluttter. How can I do this.

I am finding things a bit problematical as there are times that I feel that when one door shuts behind you another slaps you right in the face. This is one of those times as I am completely lost.

If you can guide me forward on this it would be most appreciated There are a couple of outstanding matters which I wanted to work on but as I was unable to download 2.15 Final I had posponed looking at them. I was hopefull that having 2.15 Final, 0022.sfs and web.sfs all working in harmony that perhaps this would have resolved those outstanding matters.

I was also looking at once I had things to my liking copying it all over to a USB drive and getting the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for your assistance

Ian

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Can't download sfs as insufficient space on disk

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Scoticus wrote:...You have me totally confused. When I started with the beta 2.15 I was able to use /mnt/home to park the .sfs files for web and OOo but since using multisession somehow or other I can't find /mnt/home...
Ah. You are using multi-session. Sorry, I did not know that--I should have known it was too easy a question :oops: . Perhaps Flash will chime in here, as he has multi-session experience and I don't.

Cache size in Opera is under Tools - Preferences - History. Default is 20 MB, but recommended setting according to

http://www.opera.com/support/search/view/109/

is only 2 to 4 MB. Reducing cache size might gain you the 16-18 MB, depending on where (I don't know where) Opera stows its cache.

But as for why it is showing insufficient disk size for the 72MB web_215.sfs in a multi-session Puppy with 425MB of free memory showing...no idea.

Anybody?

mysticmarks

mem buffer

#5 Post by mysticmarks »

A few thoughts. If your using a multisession disk, have you rebooted so that the ram is flushed?

second thought. Do you need the full web_215.sfs file? I have built 2 alternate sfs files that are smaller than that. webmini_215.sfs and webP2P_215.sfs. just in case your only downloading that sfs for flash and java, which both of those contain; 44MB and 49MB respectively. But ALL 3 of these are configured for seamonkey browser only, so you may need to make some minor corrections or symlinks for opera(not sure).