Updated Universal Installer

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Dougal

#76 Post by Dougal »

veronicathecow wrote:I assume it will search for commands in that path before looking in the "Path variable"?
No, it only looks in the PATH. That's why you need the "./" before the app name.

Note that you can also open a terminal in the directory by presing the "`" button.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

veronicathecow

#77 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Dougal, thanks for useful tip (Never knew a use for that character before!)
I had to change permission to executable as otherwise it said I could not do it. See I am learning something slowely 8-)

Seemed to go okay until it said add to grub. Then it tried, and appologised for failing to be able to! Very polite, I like that.
Will see if it has installed in a mo.

Gn2

#78 Post by Gn2 »

veronicathecow

#79 Post by veronicathecow »

Thanks GN2 ......... ~

veronicathecow

#80 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Dougal, got myself in a bit of a knot earlier because I was running the installer from a HDD that was of course mounted when the installer was trying to do stuff including write new grub records. In the end I moved it to an unused partition (sda2) and set about trying to install to two partitions. A full on sda1(upgrade) and a frugal on sda3.
None of the installs worked, the first 3 came up with "Error 15 file not found" and the last one with Kernel panic not syncing no init found."
Anyway I had made a backup of my original menu.lst and copied it back to grub and am up and running again.

Linux on/dev/sda2
Linux on/dev/sda3
puppy 216 frugal on sda3
puppy 216 on sda3

Notice that sda1 is not listed
Any thought and thanks for your time. Tony

Dougal

#81 Post by Dougal »

veronicathecow wrote: Linux on/dev/sda2
Linux on/dev/sda3
puppy 216 frugal on sda3
puppy 216 on sda3
What exactly is that list you posted: what you have in the old (backed-up) menu.lst or what's in the one modified by the installer?

I assume the errors you mentioned are ones given by Grub when you tried booting? If so, what do the grub entries added by the installer look like?

And which (Puppy) files exist on those partitions?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

veronicathecow

#82 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Dougal my apologies for not being around for a while but a combination of computer problems and lack of cash means that I am having to spend my time doing my book business and sorting out my VERY late Tax. Many thanks for your hard work and I hope to be back helping in what way I can in a few weeks and I'm sorry for letting you down.
All the best
Tony