Updated Universal Installer

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Dougal

Updated Universal Installer

#1 Post by Dougal »

I have modified the Puppy Universal Installer and fixed some bugs. (I used the one from 2.14)

Please try it and report how it works.

If you have any requests concerning it, NOW is the time to make them.

I have one question, in case someone can help:
I have enabled installing to USB harddrives just like internal harddrives, but there's a comment of Barry's about USB harddrives needing syslinux -- in fact being installed like USB flash drives.
Does anyone know anything about this? I could easily make a distinction between "internal" harddrives and have the "externals" (USB) grouped with USB flash drives and installed like them.
Attachments
puppyinstaller.gz
(18.75 KiB) Downloaded 1759 times
Last edited by Dougal on Thu 10 May 2007, 13:54, edited 6 times in total.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Dougal :)

download and clicked on file
which unzipped in /tmp

moved "puppyinstaller" to /usr/sbin
and changed the permissions to executible

then ran fixmenus (I am in 2.15CE)

I am all set to test . . .
well it ran - wot is LS-120?

Will it install to an external USB hard drive?
an SD card? (tried that before but no luck)

Should it call the Multisession script?

more testers required on this one :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

I have just updated the attachment, a little bug fixed and some other things modified.

Lobster: LS-120 is a type of ZIP drive.

At the moment it might install to a USB external HD, but will do so like installing to an internal HD -- that's what I'm not sure about.
It should install to a SD card.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

bostonvaulter

#4 Post by bostonvaulter »

dougal,

could you add a description so that it is more clear that you can only do a full (option 2) install on a linux partition. here's the thread about it http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=111869

Also on the same page where you are given the option between "normal" and "co-exist" can you put (full hard drive) and (frugal) above the buttons or something. I know it says it on that page but there's a lot of text there and I don't think everyone will read it. Might want to put (option 1) and (option 2) there too.

Maybe we could even put (reccomended) near the frugal install? Some people might not like it, but I think it's easier to manage and it's closer to how Puppy was meant to be run.

Also we could have a button that says "which install is right for me" or "help me choose", then we could bring up a longer page that lists the benefits of each type of install, such as full-install is better if you have 128MB or less of memory, and frugal is much easier to back up. I could write a wiki page about choosing if that would be better than writing it yourself. Maybe we could even have a page for each "page" of the installer, so it would be easier to have people help you write that text.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for working on updating the installer Dougal.

Jason

[edit]sorry Dougal, I seem to be slipping...[/edit]
Last edited by bostonvaulter on Mon 23 Apr 2007, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Dougal, the most recent version of the puppyinstaller is in 2.16exp, last updated 3rd April. I don't recall what has been changed, minor I think, but it would be best if you could do a compare and incorporate my changes since 2.14, in case there's anything important.
Attached
Attachments
puppyinstaller.gz
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 1606 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

bostonvaulter wrote: Maybe we could even put (recommended) near the frugal install? Some people might not like it, but I think it's easier to manage and it's closer to how Puppy was meant to be run.
:oops: I only just discovered a frugal install. Really because the grub setup was beyond my ken and running from a pristine and new CD every 6 weeks cleared a lot of the gunk, uped my experience level etc. Now with a little more experience it seems quite straightforward to set up a frugal . . . It is probably even easier with the universal installer

Perhaps a help option to describe what exactly each install type/medium is and what the advantages and circumstances for use are?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

Re: Updated Universal Installer

#7 Post by WhoDo »

Dougal wrote:If you have any requests concerning it, NOW is the time to make them.
Oooh, yes please! Consider the following, if you wouldn't mind:

1. I don't mind "NORMAL" and "COEXIST" but found the Type 1 vs Type 2 confusing when the options are actually in reverse order; Normal comes first (left to right) but is Type 2, and Coexist comes second (left to right) but is Type 1.

2. Also there is way too much text that doesn't really explain clearly enough what's going to happen during the install. Like most I always accept the advice to simply choose the default options. Maybe a popup tool tip for each button would clear the clutter a little? Don't know if that's possible with different WM's. Just asking.

3. This one is crucial, IMHO. Make BOTH install types lead in to an option to create a Grub boot on the hard drive. COEXIST will do a Frugal install, but leaves the user lost as to how to boot if they don't want to use a floppy; most Frugal users don't.

4. As long as you're upgrading PUI, then Grub config also should be upgraded - the two are practically inseparable, despite being separate scripts. Grub config needs to make different menu.lst file entries depending on whether a Normal or Coexist install was chosen.

5. Can the number of drive choices be categorised in some way? For example; USB device, then an option to choose memory stick, external hard drive, whatever?

6. Finally, can the PUI create a one-time boot script for the new install that puts the user straight into the Wizard wizard? I solved the problem in 2.15CE by having the Setup icon right next to the menu button so it was virtually unmissable. Better if the user understands they still have some setup duties AFTER the GUI boots, too.

Hope I haven't been too greedy with my requests, Dougal. :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Sit Heel Speak

#8 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I am right now using the 2.15CE PUI to create a 2.15CE Option 2 install to an ext3 partition for testing purposes. Barry and Dougal, I don't know if you have changed this already in your new versions, but I notice the following typos in the dialog box "Puppy universal installer: SANITY CHECK"...

"hdb1 does not have pup_save.3fs file in it."

but it ought to say

"hdb1 does not have a pup_save.2fs file in it."

and further down says

"If the partition has pup_save.3fs in it,"

and

"if pup_save.3fs does not exist"

and

"you should not delete or rename pup_save.3fs right now"

...All these references should be to pup_save.2fs not .3fs.

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Ehhhh, and now I'm in a dialog box labeled "Puppy universal installer" which says,

"Please insert the Puppy live-CD (if not already) into the drive. Note, in case your PC has two CD/DVD drives, Puppy is expecting the live-CD to be inserted into hdb, which is described as:
WDC WD102BA

After inserting live-CD, click OK button..."

...What the...??

"WDC WD102BA" is hdb. It's the Western Digital hard disk I'm trying to install to. Obviously I can't insert the live-DVD there.

The live-CD should be (and already is) in the drive which MUT calls "PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A"...

Better wording and accurate placement of my DVD drive would be,

"Please insert the Puppy live-CD (if not already inserted) into the drive. Note: in case your PC has two CD/DVD drives, Puppy is expecting the live-CD to be inserted into hdc, which is described as:
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A

After inserting live-CD, click OK button..."

I'm going to cancel out and start fresh. I did have to unmount the hdb drive per PUI's warning on the prior screen, and perhaps unmounting hdb in the middle of PUI confused it.

Sit Heel Speak

#10 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

There should be an advisory right at the start, that the live-CD needs to (if that is the source of the Puppy files) be mounted...rather than several clicks into the process...

Sit Heel Speak

#11 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Hmm. PUI isn't working. Even though the target hd, hdc, is not mounted. Perhaps it isn't PUI's fault though: neither MUT nor PMount will mount the live-DVD.

MUT shows the message

seek/read failed track 1 00:02#16 (5)=input/output error

to the right of the DVD drive's "Mount" button.

Enough of this, it's late here. In 20 hours or so I'll unpack vmlinuz, initrd.gz, and pup_215.sfs to their own partition on one of the other hard disks in this machine and try PUI with that as the source.

veronicathecow

#12 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Dougal, thanks for doing this, I have always found the installer a little confusing (like the option 1, option 2 being reversed and a clearer description (including a frugall install and the pros and cons ) would be most useful. Also automounting the CD seems to make a lot of sense (didn't it used to do that?), I found mounting very confusing to begin with.

Any chance that someone could write a script to enable an install straight to HDD or USB stick etc direct from the downloaded ISO (would save a lot of CD's being burnt), be faster for testers.(could be made as a dotpup and later incorporated into Universal installer?)) Checkiing the pole currently 48% of Puppy installs are to the HDD.
Many thanks. Tony

drongo

#13 Post by drongo »

Dougal,

The last time I tried to use the installer was about a month ago. I was trying to install an older version of Puppy onto Flash memory to put into a Nohrtec Jr. (This came with 2.14 and was too slow.)

I got right to the end of the process and it failed a final "sanity check" which stated that it was an earlier version of Puppy. There was no option to proceed regardless. I think this "sanity check" menu should give the option of proceeding or aborting.

Whilst I like the latest Puppy, sometimes you want to install something else!

Second Sit Heel Speaks' comments re mounting CD.

raffy

notes

#14 Post by raffy »

If CD/DVD identification is troublesome, copying the Puppy files to a temporary hard disk directory could help. This can be done by the user himself at the start. This will also allow extraction of files from the ISO, if there is such a utility added to the process.

I also agree that Grub should be tailored to each install. Right now the frugal install has no matching menu.lst settings.

Why don't we "promote" frugal install by calling it the "preferred" install of Puppy?

Thanks for working on this, Dougal. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Dougal

#15 Post by Dougal »

Ok, I'll go over all these requests and try and accomodate as many as I can.

I have just updated the attachment in the first message:
I have made a separate option for USB HD.
I have fixed some little bugs. Also changed the way I find SATA drives (they apear as "Direct-Access", rather than "disk").

Regarding some of the comments above:

I have already changed the cdrom part so it doesn't ask you to put the cd in a specific drive -- it just checks both drives.

I have also changed the wording of some dialogs.

I think it might be a problem to change the "option 1" and "option 2" naming, since those terms are already widely used (on many forum threads) so it might cause a bit of confusion... I'll see what I can do to clarify it, though.

Concerning installation from an ISO: it's already an option: you can choose a directory that has the files -- just mount the iso and select the mountpoint.

It would be best if people try and run my modified script (at least half-way through, when you can still bail out), so the comments will be more relevant to how it is now (there could be simple bugs like drives not being detected...)

Also, I could use some info on things like USB hard-drives -- even just the output of test-scsi or probedisk.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Sit Heel Speak

#16 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@Dougal: I'm busy elsewhere for the next ten hours or so, but will give your installer a thorough workout when I return.

Dougal

#17 Post by Dougal »

I've updated the attachment in the first post again.

I've added the option of selecting the Pupy ISO and then it gets mounted and used.

A couple of things people asked for that I've already done before:
- Automount the cd: the script check the cd-drives and, if not empty, mounts and checks for the Puppy cd. Only if not found does it prompt you for the cd (and only asks that you put it in a cd-drive, no names or anything).
- Mention that "option 2" is only for Linux filesystems: I actually modified the script so that the dialogue giving the two options only shows up if you have selected a Linux fs...

I am attaching here a little script with the "options" dialogue that people find very confusing. You just need to gunzip it and click on it in rox. Let me know what you think.
It is also possible to create this dialogue with gtkdialog and have two "frames", one for each option, and each having a "info" button that opens a little window with info about that option.

I've started looking at grubconfig, but I don't know much about grub, so I'm not sure how much I can do.
Attachments
option-dialogue.gz
(856 Bytes) Downloaded 493 times
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

bostonvaulter

#18 Post by bostonvaulter »

dougal, that looks much better. I have modified the wording slightly and added a reference to isomaster. Also added reccomended to frugal install

As for not showing the full hard drive option when the user doesn't choose a linux partition, it should say that you cannot do the full hard drive installation there. This would avoid confusion like in this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=111869

Keep up the good work,
Jason

[edit]oops, sorry meant Dougal, thanks Sit Heel Speak[/edit]
Attachments
option-dialogue_new.gz
(892 Bytes) Downloaded 533 times
Last edited by bostonvaulter on Mon 23 Apr 2007, 03:10, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

Note, I have fixed the bug in grubconfig. Attached.

Dougal, I hope that you looked through my pupyinstaller script -- I recall now, there were some important bug fixes.
Attachments
grubconfig.gz
(12.09 KiB) Downloaded 545 times

Sit Heel Speak

#20 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@Dougal: Great job, guy!

I just downloaded and unzipped Dougal's newest-version installer. With 2.15CE booted from live-DVD, it has succeeded in putting an Option 2 (full hd) install on my 10GB ext3 hdb. No muss, no fuss, no hassles about needing to mount the (unmountable) DVD, this is wonderful...

Next I came to the screen where it asks whether I wish to create a boot floppy (or boot USB pen drive), or put GRUB on the disk. I'm going to bail out here, download Barry's grub installer (above), unzip it, and examine it first to see if it poses any danger to my already-existing multi-paragraph menu.lst. I've been using autoexec.bat on hda1 to start grub.exe (not mbr grub), with three Puppy variants plus Gentoo...

So far, so swimmingly...
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 24 Apr 2007, 00:37, edited 3 times in total.