How to upgrade a real Puppy hard drive install

Booting, installing, newbie
BenoitRen

How to upgrade a real Puppy hard drive install

#1 Post by BenoitRen »

I've looked through several FAQs, and searched the message board. Of course, I first checked the "Hard drive" page, but it only explains it for frugal installs.

Due to issues with ISA sound card drivers, I would like to upgrade the Puppy Linux box from 2.12 to 2.14. It was installed using the Universal Installer for real, not frugal. How do I upgrade to a newer Puppy Linux version without losing saved data?

Thanks in advance.

bugman

#2 Post by bugman »

I just did a full-install upgrade from 2.14 to 2.15 without losing any settings. Apart from maybe fstab and rc.local. Although it was only a couple of days ago I've already forgotten if I had to fix them (automounting issues) or not. Everything else (dialup, printers, installed software, old passwords, etc.) came through with flying colors!

bostonvaulter

#3 Post by bostonvaulter »

use the universal installer and choose the "normal" install option rather than the "coexist" option.

here's some instructions from the wiki http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HDDInstallChecklist
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

bugman

#4 Post by bugman »

Sorry, shoulda mentioned how I did it, which was the bostonvaulter method (not actually called that in the menu!)

WhoDo

Re: How to upgrade a real Puppy hard drive install

#5 Post by WhoDo »

BenoitRen wrote:How do I upgrade to a newer Puppy Linux version without losing saved data?
As mentioned, boot from the new LiveCD and use the Puppy Universal Installer from Menu>Setup on the CD. Use the Normal install option and choose the partition. Puppy will recognise it is already installed there and ask if you want to UPGRADE or REPLACE the existing installation.

You should retain all of your existing data with the possible exception of WM settings. Make a backup of your /root directory if you are worried, and then you can copy it back over the top of the new install. That should have zero effect on the updated program files.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

octobclrnts

#6 Post by octobclrnts »

I used this exact procedure to upgrade my full install of 2.14 to 2.15CE. It worked without a hitch other than it changed one of my desktop icons. No biggie.
Puppy [color=green]2.17[/color]
HP Pavillion [color=green]dv1000[/color]
Ram [color=green]512MB[/color]
Proc [color=green]1.5GHz Pentium M[/color]

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

octobclrnts wrote:I used this exact procedure to upgrade my full install of 2.14 to 2.15CE. It worked without a hitch other than it changed one of my desktop icons. No biggie.
Well done! I love it when a plan works that well! :P

Might be worth checking that your default applications are also unchanged. If they aren't then you can use the Defaults Wizard to change them back to your preference.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

BenoitRen

#8 Post by BenoitRen »

I upgraded painlessly earlier today. Thanks for the help. :)