ALien Package:Skype 1.3.0.53. Release date: October 04, 2006

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
John Doe

ALien Package:Skype 1.3.0.53. Release date: October 04, 2006

#1 Post by John Doe »

Download Alien Package

*NEW PET, now with Desktop Entry*
Download PET

Works great with USB headphones and this tip (*edit, Barry added this in subsequent versions):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15188

My only "friend" so far on linux has been the "Skype Test Call" (not soliciting, just noting).

As they don't offer source, this is their package It is the WITHOUT QT version. You need QT to run it (not sure what version I have). I basically mimicked the current puppy package file structure. Use the 64x64 xpm for the 32 so it would look as good as possible.
Last edited by John Doe on Thu 19 Apr 2007, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

krumpli

#2 Post by krumpli »

John,

I did the download link but had no success. When I clicked on the program icon, no results. BUT I did find info after searching this forum (additional software) posted by FLASH that suggested download "skype_staticQT-1.3.0.53-generic.tar.bz2". I did and I now have a working Skype in both my Puppy 2.13 and 2.14. Only thing missing at present is for the default sounds to work (notification etc..). BUT I never have had notification sounds to work in my Thunderbird email program, so I doubt this is a Skype problem.

Also (probably something you already know) I was able to install the above on one of my HD partitions and just create a link to my Puppy desktop that I can click on to launch the Skype (provided I mount that HD partition which I auto mount on rc.local). This I thought was rather useful since puppy does not carry any extra weight within the Puppy OS.

Paul M

lvds

#3 Post by lvds »

Hi,

i confirm also i can have skype running but it looks very old, is this something related to the QT inside or GTK 1 ? i don't know very much about these things, may someone please explain what we can do to have a better looking skype ?

i do not have tested voice call by now but i will today or tomorrow as it really seems great tool worth to test. And we can also have conferences call in the ms-windows version, i will test to see if we can also have it inside linux.

Best regards,
Laurent.

lvds

#4 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I usually downloaded skype from the skype website but i found yesterday that someone created a PUP package for it. So i downloaded to test and i would like to report to the person who make it (but i don't know who is it) that package does not install.

I had to go far in a subdirectory to rescue the skype software directory and installed it by hand. I was running from a cd. May someone check this with me or if you are the one who create it, may it be repaired for newbie users ?

Best regards,
Laurent (allways think to newbies, they are the one whom really loves you, blindly)

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

lvds wrote:...i would like to report to the person who make it (but i don't know who is it)...
I think you are talking to me.

Try out the PET package above. I fixed it up tonight for you. Icons should show up under Menu->Internet. They will be blue instead of orange now.

Don't forget to restart X to see the menu entries.

Let me know how it goes.

John Doe

#6 Post by John Doe »

P.s. Don't forget to install QT from the package manager. I'll get the dependancy entered when I remember how that works.

lvds

#7 Post by lvds »

Hi,

Ok, and i have found also a PUP package for skype but i don' t recall where. I worked hard and did so many things, i can't recall if the package that is working finally and which i choose to keep is mine or yours ... :? I am sorry, i will do it again when i have a little free time.

Best regards,
Laurent