webP2P_215.sfs!

News, happenings
Bill_Gates

#16 Post by Bill_Gates »

Thanks mysticmarks, I didn’t even try to start those apps via the console. I’m a lazy point and clicker myself! :oops:

I eagerly await your new sfs file for pup 2.16. But how about building 2. One with Opera and one without. :wink:
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

jonyo

#17 Post by jonyo »

Not sure why mentioning opera here?

Bill_Gates

#18 Post by Bill_Gates »

jonyo wrote:Not sure why mentioning opera here?
mysticmarks wrote:im currently following the changes to puppy in 2.16, and will be assembling a new sfs which will contain the brand new frostwire, azureus(maybe), flash 9 latest, java (1.6?), possibly opera as well. Im actually building a new puppy unleashed, thats in the works as well. Watch the announcements in the coming weeks!
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

jonyo

#19 Post by jonyo »

Wondered as opera's readily available :). Sure would be nice to have flash 9 & english spelll check good to go :D. More point & click good to go toooo :P
Last edited by jonyo on Sat 07 Jul 2007, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

T_B

#20 Post by T_B »

mysticmarks, any progress on a new convenient webp2p file?
Would love to see it working on 2.16, too bad the current version doesn't.

Also please add azureus :)

Edit: BTW I'm not really into frostwire (It's too bloated and slow for my taste) , aMule would be a great replacement. Maybe something to consider.

mysticmarks

webp2p

#21 Post by mysticmarks »

T_B - i've been out of town for a month. I havent worked on it much with my travels. I'm not really looking to include amule. I am a fan of emule on windoz, but many users are not skilled enough with software to configure the program correctly. Frostwire is simple, seems to work with every router ive tried virtually without issue, and is very user friendly. It also has the irc chat built in for added help with the program itself. Im still not sure about azureus being included down the road again, as the software developers have begun to go down a road i do not wish to follow. As frostwire follows limewire pro, the software isnt far off from performing the same functions as azureus, but with the added benefit of file sharing. Azureus is only a bittorrent client. There are many programs for every job on a pc. Few of them are a perfect solution. However, many are getting close. I am a very strict follower of the less is more when it comes to software. If i can get one package to take care of all the needs i can, then thats the one that i use.
Honestly, im not even sure that i will be releasing any addons for 2.16 as Barry and others are pushing Puppy's development along quite smoothly. In addition to that, I am doing alot of research and learning about the structures of nearly every linux distro constructed. I am working toward my own distro, and it occupies many hours already. Lots of software, lots of distros, tons of decisions. I've set a very large longterm goal of designing a linux distro. This is a big undertaking for myself. I'll be sure to keep up with posts.

T_B

#22 Post by T_B »

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I agree frostwire is simple and probably doesn't need portforwarding etc. It's only so slow even on my recent PC. The same applies to Azureus, I prefer it speedwise. The gui is just much more responsive.
But never mind, it's no problem to install the programs myself (I already did ;) )

I see you are having a bit too much work right now, and I don't want to rush you into anything. All programs are installable without too much effort so no worries about that. I just like the convenience of the sfs files :)

Good luck on your distro! btw Is it Puppy based?

jeffjeff

#23 Post by jeffjeff »

Don't forget to:
#1. move/save the sfs file to /mnt/home
I was trying to bring in the web.sfs inte a newly burned Shard 3.01 and burned it on the the CD after trying booting. I then mounted the CD and tried to copy the sfs into /mnt/home but there was no /home there.

I thought maybe that's created the first time one saves after a boot. So I tried the "save to CD" option but that lead to the CD no longer booting. :cry: Checking the contents of the the CD (from windoze) I could see new content there: a folder "2007_11" and under it "root" but still no "home". :cry:

Could someone peel off my layers of ignorance so I can see the light? :oops: