Type non english fonts in Wine?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mordor

Type non english fonts in Wine?

#1 Post by Mordor »

Has anyone been able to type in non-english character set in Wine?

I'm using Wine 0.9.28 and whenever I change the keyboard set, say to cyrillic I do not see the characters being typed in. Although it shows cyrillic just fine.

Is it possible?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

You might try to copy the neccesary fonts from your windows install to wine.
I did this to have more fonts available in wine.

P.S. I felt the wine 0.9.35 is more stable then the 0.9.28
P.S. Do you use winetools?

Mordor

#3 Post by Mordor »

I copied all the TTF files from Wine. It shows cyrillic fine but I cannot type it in. I've read reports of it working in Ubuntu, so the problem might not be in Wine.

With Wine 0.9.35 are you able to type in Cyrillic or in French? You can try by going to Advanced Keyboard Layout options and adding the layout and then switching the layout and typing in Wine.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

When I open notepad and type text with accentuated characters from the keyboad, they are displayed. The dead key support also works, like ñ ô û ê.

richard.a

#5 Post by richard.a »

I've used the MS Windows Character Map created characters - already existing in a document - to cut-and -paste into other documents using WINE in several versions of LInux and in Unix. I haven't tried copying charmap.exe across and using it as I seldom need to use other language characters.

I guess if you want to type those characters, your keyboard would need to be supported in both MS Windows and the *nix distribution you are using. If it is, then surely whatever you type will appear in the window regardless? My thoughts anyway :)

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Béèm

#6 Post by Béèm »

@richard.a
Will keymap.exe also take care of providing iso8859-1 and the like support in wine?

richard.a

#7 Post by richard.a »

I don't know. But I imagine you could always try :)

I used to have all the Scandinavian/Skandinavien characters on a Word document template years ago, specifically to save having to open and go through the table in charmap.exe when I used to communicate with folks in Sweden and Danmark. BTW Those two countries do not call them "accented" characters, they are extra letters in their alphabet :)

When I encountered linux and WINE one of the first things I tried was copy-pasting them and I found that it worked nicely :)

Richard.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]