Brand New Open Office 2.2 sfs!

News, happenings
mysticmarks

Re: My OO 2.2 is Invisible

#16 Post by mysticmarks »

davec51 wrote:Surely I am doing something bizarre, but I hope I can achieve fulfillment on this forum, as usual.
I downloaded and installed the 2.2 PupGet. Menu items were added to the Documents menu. But when I click on any of the items in the submenu, absolutely nothing happens. The .sfs is in my hard-disk root, along with all the other Puppy stuff.
Pupget? This is not a pupget install. Are you familiar with how to install sfs files in puppy?

davec51

OO 2.2 is Invisible -- Solved!

#17 Post by davec51 »

You're right; it's an sfs file, not a PupGet, and I knew that but misspoke.
As I said in my original post, I put in the root of the same partition where the other Puppy files (sfs, 2fs, swp) were. The problem, appartently, was that I had a defective file. I downloaded again and replaced the faulty file and OO appeared as it should.
Thanks for responding.

puppylinuxw

Re: My OO 2.2 is Invisible

#18 Post by puppylinuxw »

davec51 wrote: The .sfs is in my hard-disk root, along with all the other Puppy stuff.
If u downloadded the oOo.sfs - must be in /mnt/home as above descriped

Fishy

#19 Post by Fishy »

I have a vanilla full hardrive install. Pup save file and zdrv.sfs are automatically installed in /. I assume the openoffice.sfs should be placed there as well? /mnt has cdrom, cddrive, data, flash, floppy, hda3, msdos. ram1, swap, zdrv and zip folders inside.

Configure bootup shows the openoffice.sfs listed and the box is not ticked to ignore it. The OO.sfs download was from Barry's site and md5sum was verified.

Not sure what I am doing wrong? :(

Bye the way is there any way to get puppy to recognize and configure grub so that other distributions are recognized? It is quite ironic that it will automatically add Microsoft Windows but screw up the original dual booted Debian.

Windows hda1, Debian hda2, /home hda3, swap hda5, Puppy hda6 :roll:

mysticmarks

install

#20 Post by mysticmarks »

Im not familiar with full hard drive installs of puppy. I'm also not sure if your speaking of the sfs file i created. I created this one, which is OO22_215.sfs and it is larger than the one/s that others created. It also is structured differently. You weren't specific in your file name. There are (i believe) one or two other open office 2.2 sfs files. One for sure, as it was compiled alongside of BarryK's puppy 2.16 development. I think that one is 102MB, but is stripped down. I built this one from source, and made it complete, with everything available. This isnt following the puppy creed of size, but I figured if someone wants the full office suite as I did, that i was ensuring it was available. After over 100MB of data, im not one to squable over another 20 or so.

Im fairly sure that the full install of sfs files is covered in this forum elsewhere. Posts involving LobsterEd, pizzasgood, sunburnt, sithealspeak, and a few others are quite active reguarding this subject. (Feel free to jump in everyone. :wink: ) These folks all have experience with full installs and just about every other kind of puppy install you can think of.

I tend to think of myself as a USB only user. and although you can install puppy as a full install on usb, i found it suffered a variety of weaknesses and converted back to a standard usb install with a pupsave file. My main motive was these sfs files. I like that when open office, or some of the other sfs file packages that ive compiled are updated, i can build a new sfs file and delete/replace the other and have it be up to date. Then distribute it to other sfs file users. This way im the only one dealing with the nitty gritty of the file, everyone else just follows a basic 5 step process to enjoy the programs. 8) It's my small way of paying it forward in puppy. :wink:

edoc

Re: install

#21 Post by edoc »

mysticmarks wrote: I tend to think of myself as a USB only user. and although you can install puppy as a full install on usb, i found it suffered a variety of weaknesses and converted back to a standard usb install with a pupsave file. My main motive was these sfs files. I like that when open office, or some of the other sfs file packages that ive compiled are updated, i can build a new sfs file and delete/replace the other and have it be up to date. Then distribute it to other sfs file users. This way im the only one dealing with the nitty gritty of the file, everyone else just follows a basic 5 step process to enjoy the programs. 8) It's my small way of paying it forward in puppy. :wink:
If one boots Puppy via USB on a laptop with only one USB port -- using a USB
stick with 2GB storage one creates a savefile for documents, graphics, etc
on the USB stick or ??

I am using 2.14 but understand that USB is greatly improved in 2.16

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

mysticmarks

prefs

#22 Post by mysticmarks »

If you opt to use a pupmode 2(full install) of puppy, then you would have to format the flash drive to a linux file system (ie-ext2) this install will not require a pup save. It will behave exactly(just about) like a full HDD install of puppy. You should be able to use forum references to full installs of puppy, recognizing of course that yours is on a flash drive.
if you opt for this method, you will need to have a swap on the drive as well. You may also want to have a fat partition as simple means of coping files from a windowz system to your puppy without having to boot puppy. So 3 partitions, 1 is ext2/3, a swap(128mb?), and a fat part for system swapping, and file storage.

If you choose a standard puppy usb, it by default saves the pupsave to the same location that the puppy sfs file is. However, it can be copied and/or saved to another location. This is a bit more configuration. Do some forum searches for more info. Also check with others. :)

edoc

Re: prefs

#23 Post by edoc »

I would prefer a 100% USB stick operation.

Plug in the stick, reboot the PC, load from the stick and save to the stick.

Will the save to the USB stick be automatic under 2.16 or is there a menu
to select HDD or USB save?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#24 Post by edoc »

edoc wrote:I would prefer a 100% USB stick operation.

Here is an interesting handheld computer (sans monitor, keyboard, & mouse)
that runs from a USB stick:

http://www.linutop.com/wiki/index.php/Linutop_FAQ

280 Euro/$379.62USD which seems high for no LCD, no keyboard, no
mouse, no HDD, and a 433MHz CPU.

Hardware [Only 6W :-)] AMD Geode LX700 (x86) 256 MB RAM 4x USB 2.0 ports Audio in & out 100baseT Ethernet VGA output Size: 9.3 x 2.7 x 15 cm Power: DC in 9V - 1,5A Weight: 280 gr Storage Only external: Linutop comes with a 1 GB USB key containing the operating system and softwares. Software Linutop comes with xubuntu, customized for Linutop, including : Firefox webbrowser Gaim instant messaging Abiword word processor.

Wonder if Puppy will work on it?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

mysticmarks

#25 Post by mysticmarks »

edoc wrote:I would prefer a 100% USB stick operation.

It will automatically configure for the save to the standard location, but i've heard there may be a option to save to alternate site option. You would really have to direct this question to BarryK, as 2.16 is still in development.

ndujoe1

OPen Office 2.2 sfs

#26 Post by ndujoe1 »

I downloaded the news open office sfs for puppylinux 2.15 CE. I placed it in the /mnt/home directory rebooted and ran fixmenu.

The OPen office setup aapears in the document menu. I click on the OPen office writer word processor. The opening Open Office boot screen appears and the status bar completes, But it locks up my system each time.

I expanded my personal size file to 512 mb thinking that I may not have had enough memory.

I ran swriter from the console to see if any errors appeared. None did.

Any suggestions where the catch is?

MU

#27 Post by MU »

this happened too (with an older version) on a second notebook I have, it has 256 MB Ram.
I only could solve it, by adding a swap-partition of 500 MB.
Then OpenOffice ran fine.

Mark

mysticmarks

swap

#28 Post by mysticmarks »

MU hit it on the nose. Sounds like you need a swap partition. Pretty standard with any linux distro. Puppy doesnt normally require one, but the add on sfs files are large and will easily overcome ram in some rare cases.

If your puppy is a usb install, this should help:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17067

ndujoe1

Open Office 2.2 sfa and swap partition

#29 Post by ndujoe1 »

Ok, I follow Mu's suggestion that my computer may require a swap partition for the Open Office 2.2 sfs to work properly.

I do not use a full install I run off the live cd with a personal file size of 1 GB. If I place the swap partition on the hard drive. Where should I placeit and will the live cd setup with a personal file size see the swap partition and understand what is going on?

Thanks.

mysticmarks

swap

#30 Post by mysticmarks »

I would suggest some reading about linux and swap partitions. If you dont have a linux formated drive already, this may risk corrupting your harddrive data. Win Vista has a shrink partition option to allow this to happen if your using that OS. In puppy you can use gparted to perform the operations required. Once again, this may require some reading to avoid corrupting your hard drive installed OS.

ndujoe1

OPen Office and swap partition

#31 Post by ndujoe1 »

Ok, can you provide some links for me to read up on this issue? I am one of those who proceeds cautiously when I know just enough to be dangerous :)

Once i read up on it I will follow your advise.

mysticmarks

Re: OPen Office and swap partition

#32 Post by mysticmarks »

ndujoe1 wrote:Ok, can you provide some links for me to read up on this issue? I am one of those who proceeds cautiously when I know just enough to be dangerous :)

Once i read up on it I will follow your advise.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ or
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/re ... sizing.pdf this link is more for a general understanding of the tool you will be using.
You need to shrink your existing xp partition. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR PERSONAL FILES! and, MAKE SURE YOUR WINDOWS HAS BEEN DEFRAGMENTED FIRST!! gparted wont ask you about drive fragmentation. defrag right before you use gparted from puppym otherwise you may overwrite data blocks and corrupt your windows install. you should make a few careful decisions prior to using gparted and after you defrag.

#1. do i want to use my harddrive for a linux distro in addition to windows?
If you want a dual boot pc, you will need to end up with a windows fat/ntfs partition, a linux file sys such as ext2 or ext3, and a linux swap space.
If not, then just resize the windows partition to leave a remainder of what ever you want to format as the linux swap.

#2. how big should my swap be? (I personally would match my memory amount, but no more than a gig. This is entirely a personal choice, base it on available hard drive space. A swap for puppy should be fine as a little guy{ie- 128mb or something}, but a good alll around swap for most of linux distros is 512mb)

Wolf Pup

#33 Post by Wolf Pup »

are there any working mirrors for mysticmarks openoffice sfs file?
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

mysticmarks

bandwidth

#34 Post by mysticmarks »

server bandwidth goes quickly, check with MU or any others about when bandwidth will open up.

Previously known as Guest

#35 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Still available here