2.15.sfs addons for 2.15CE- need help to install them- stuck

Booting, installing, newbie
setecio

#16 Post by setecio »

I have now installed 2.15CE as frugal and the web_215.sfs all works fine as per the original instructions. :D

I did think that the web_215.sfs had everything needed to surf the net, but going to the BBC site to watch the news or some of thier online programs as streaming media, it doesn't work. The site gives the option of using windows media player or realplayer, and if i select realplayer it says plugin needed so I answer yes to download it, and it says can't do I want to do it manually, but I don't know how to or whether it would work with Puppy.

If i select windows media player and try and download the plugin it says 'no suitable plugins were found' 'Unknown plugin 'application/x-mplayer2'

Anyway I'm sad that the web_215.sfs doesn't also include whatever is needed to make the streaming media work. :(

How would I get this to work ?

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

setecio wrote:I did think that the web_215.sfs had everything needed to surf the net, but going to the BBC site to watch the news or some of thier online programs as streaming media, it doesn't work. The site gives the option of using windows media player or realplayer, and if i select realplayer it says plugin needed so I answer yes to download it, and it says can't do I want to do it manually, but I don't know how to or whether it would work with Puppy.
There is a dotpup/dotpet of Realplayer 10 available in the repositories which should fix this problem for you. You can't install the other downloaded plugin as it will be incompatible with Puppy.

Streaming audio and video add-ons were intended for the multimedia sfs that didn't eventuate, which is why Pizzasgood left them out of web_215.sfs. Just add the Realplayer package manually, ok?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

setecio

#18 Post by setecio »

WhoDo wrote:There is a dotpup/dotpet of Realplayer 10 available in the repositories which should fix this problem for you. You can't install the other downloaded plugin as it will be incompatible with Puppy.
Unfortunately it doesn't work. The same thing happens in 2.14. Realplayer works fine as a standalone, but it doesn't work for streaming media. It says plugin missing and then takes me to the plugins.netscape.com site and points to the full 5.5MB linux download of Realplayer.

bostonvaulter

#19 Post by bostonvaulter »

you could try looking for some of the information in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16878

You're probably missing the necessary files in your mozilla plugins directory. If you can't get it to work right away you should start a new topic so it's easier to find for other people searching later and such.

Jason
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]