xmms problem

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
eden6000

xmms problem

#1 Post by eden6000 »

hi everybody,
i'm a totally newbie in linux, trying to learn and use puppy, i'm using pizzapup 3.0, which i find wonderful and extremely beautiful to see...almost everything goes well, installed also new software, like skype....the problem is xmms, when i play mp3s from hd (ntfs) it randomly stops playing for a fraction of second, sometimes short, other longer, so it's impossible to use it and listen, and when it happens you hear a noise from hd, as if the heads were moving somewhere..the problem is not cpu, since its usage is extremely low..i tried playing mp3s from an usb key and everything goes well, no stops, xmms works fine..my system is a VIA epia me6000, 600mhz cpu, with a 2.5'hd...i also tried booting puppy 2.15ce and that works fine, any stop....but i want to use pizzapup, it's far more beautiful.
thank in advance to all replies.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's strange. Pizzapup 3.0 is based on a slightly older version of Puppy than 2.15CE, so maybe the NTFS support has improved?

Have you tried Pizzapup 3.0.1 yet? It's based on Puppy 2.14, so it should behave similarly to 2.15CE. Personally, I prefer 3.0 as I put more time into it and 3.0.1 feels more scattered as a result. But it still runs fine. Though I just noticed I didn't fix the Mplayerplug-in after I moved Firefox :roll:

Maybe Mplayer would have better performance? It may be an XMMS issue. I'm pretty sure I used a different version of XMMS than 2.15 used. I doubt that's the problem, but you never know.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

eden6000

#3 Post by eden6000 »

hi pizzapup, thanks for reply...yes, i tried also 3.01 an it has the same problem..i also tried 3.0 on my pc at work (p41.6) and it has the same annoying stops....for the few i can understand, also i think it's a problem of xmms or of the ntfs interface; mplayer works fine however, but to play mp3s xmms is far better.....

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Strange. I'm listening to some music on my ntfs partition now and it's working great (in 3.0.1). I'm testing both mp3s and wavs, both come out nice.

Have you defragmented the drive lately? I know Linux has trouble with a fragmented NTFS partition. Maybe the files are fragmented and it gets delayed piecing it together. :?

But that wouldn't explain why 2.15 could do it. Hmmm. So maybe it's an XMMS problem.

You could try copying the XMMS files from 2.15 into your Pizzapup. I don't know where it's located in 2.15, but in Pizzapup 3.0.1 it's like this:

/usr/share/doc/xmms/
/usr/share/applications/xmms.desktop
/usr/local/lib/xmms/
/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/xmms16.xpm
/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/xmms.xpm
/usr/local/lib/libxmms.so.1.3.1
/usr/local/lib/libxmms.so
/usr/local/lib/libxmms.so.1
/usr/local/bin/wmxmms
/usr/local/bin/xmms
/usr/local/share/xmms/
/root/.xmms/
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

eden6000

#5 Post by eden6000 »

ok, so i've made some tries...on my pc at work, xmms seems to work, so the problem seems only to be in my system; i think you are right when you speak about ntfs fragmentation..i tried also an ext usb hd, fat32 and ntfs, and when i play mp3s from fat32 everything works well..i will try do some defragmentation on my ntfs drive to see if thngs go better...this is however a strange issue......