How to get Wireless configuration to load at boot? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Retina

How to get Wireless configuration to load at boot? (Solved)

#1 Post by Retina »

Earlier this morning I first got my internet card to work, but never permenatly.

If I reboot, I'd have to take 10-15 minutes to get the internet back up and running, most of the time it doesn't even work at all [eg dhcpcd wlan0 wont give me an IP or anything]

Is there any sure fire way to get my internet up, and then have it load every time I restart the computer?

mike

#2 Post by mike »

I'm not sure what the commands would be as I have no experience with wireless, but whatever commands you use to get yourself up and running could be appended to the file /etc/rc.d/rclocal (i believe that's the name, I may be wrong) -

open the file up as a text file, and add the appropiate commands.

next time your compuer reboots into puppy, those actions will be performed before you get to the dektop, during the booting process.

that should get you going in the right direction, i hope

saintlangton

#3 Post by saintlangton »

I'm currently working around a similar issue.

For some reason adding the commands to rc.local doesn't work on my setup.

My workaround is to create a script which i have called webstart it contains the comands:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfig wlan0
iwconfig wlan0 channel 11 essid xxx
dhcpcd wlan0

where xxx is the wireless network name.

(To create a script open Rox and right click in some space in the window and select 'new' then 'script'. Then right click on the file created and 'open as text' and type the commands and save. Now when you click on the script it runs all those comands)

Hope this helps

Chris

P.S I've got the 'Start-items' dotpup installed and it works with scripts (I use it to open gxine to play an MP3 on bootup, with my computers bios having a 'wake on time' feature puppy is now my alarm clock :D ) but if I use it to run this script it just doesn't work. Don't know why. I just have to click the script and then my connection works. weird huh.

saintlangton

#4 Post by saintlangton »

As an update to my post above I've discovered a working way to start wireless connection at bootup - simply have the script in re.local and also in the 'Start-items' dotpup. Between the 2 of them it gets it going.

No idea why it needs to be effectively done twice. But it works and doesn't noticably slow things down.

Hope this helps

Chris

#5 Post by Guest »

Try a sleep 5 after loading ndiswrapper and before running another command