Which program for tv on wintv card ? (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
linuxcbon

Which program for tv on wintv card ? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by linuxcbon »

I got a wintv tuner card from Hauppauge. (old analog tuner)
What program to use on puppy ?
Last edited by linuxcbon on Fri 12 Oct 2007, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

d4p

#2 Post by d4p »

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I have a different but analog card (WinFast). For me, I need to run

Code: Select all

modprobe bttv tuner=43
rmmod bttv
modprobe bttv tuner=43
I need to do that by hand after X is running. I don't know why. I think I might need to start up mplayer as described below in between the two modprobes too, I don't remember. I could probably figure out how to get this automated nicely, but I've only bothered using the card twice so far, so I haven't been motivated yet. (Just guessing, I think I did need to do mplayer in between, so it probably loaded some other module I need. Possibly the v4l2 one, but I think I checked and bttv loaded that automatically. Oh well, I'll figure it out someday when I've nothing better to do).

Also, I could probably edit modprobe.conf to make the tuner=43 part automatic.

Anyways, after doing that, I can play a channel like this:

mplayer -vo x11 tv:// -tv width=640:height=480:driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable:channels=41-SciFi
Obviously, typing all that is no fun, so I made a short script to do it for me and stuck it in /root/my-applications/bin/:

#!/bin/sh
mplayer -vo x11 tv:// -tv width=640:height=480:driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable:channels=$1
I run that script like this:

mplayer-tv 41-SciFi
The -SciFi part is important for some reason. I could have the script tack something random on so I wouldn't have to add it, but I don't mind.

Your setup will likely be different. You'd need to find out which driver that card uses and substitute it for the modprobe bttv (but maybe it's the same). Also, the tuner=43 bit probably won't be the same. The NTSC and us-cable will depend on where you live. They could be several different things.

Also, in the mplayer part, you can add an input=0 chunk, where 0 specifies which port on the card you use (in case of multiple inputs, like having the coax jack along with s-video and a composite jack).

I haven't tried what GuestToo set up, but once configured, I'm sure it would be nicer than what I'm using. I just don't use it enough to bother. I'd rather code, read, or play games. TV is pretty much my last resort in the fight against boredom, and I have so much to do I rarely need it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Looking at that page linked above, there was a broken link from when the forum moved. I fixed it, then followed it. Lots of good info there! Such as, use k and h to change channels. So using my script, I could eliminate the input variable (better yet, make it optional) and hardcore a list of channels directly off my channel listing. Then I could just change channels. That thread also lists ways to bind the channel changing to your scroll wheel and stuff. Neat.

Some of the installation stuff might be a little dated though. Before installing any drivers, see if they're already included in Puppy and you might save yourself some time.

I need to get a longer cable so I can hook the computer with the tv tuner up to the one with the speakers. Eventually I'll probably build a switch box to select between my two computers and my stereo, but for now I'll settle for running the old computer into my new computer, which is in turn routed into my stereo. This way, my new computer plays surround sound, and all of them can access the "good" speakers on the stereo, though the stereo can't use my cheep pc speakers so it doesn't have surround sound.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

linuxcbon

#5 Post by linuxcbon »

Thanks for the cool input.
Drivers are found OK by linux kernel.
Mplayer works OK with

mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:width=640:height=480:norm=pal:chanlist=europe-west tv:// 
I just noticed all channels have changed to digital, except one, so I need a digital tuner.
Topic solved :)