Need instruction on 2.15 addon sfs files please

Booting, installing, newbie
paulh177

Need instruction on 2.15 addon sfs files please

#1 Post by paulh177 »

I've searched and googled but can't seem to find clear instructions on how to install / mount the new .sfs add-ons in 2.15CE.
Can someone please either post the link that I've missed, or write a How-To.

thanks (and apologies if I'm being blind/stupid)

paul

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Place it in the same location as your pup_save.2fs file (you must have one for them to load correctly), should be at /mnt/home/. Reboot. They should now be installed, but without menu entries. Open a terminal window and run the command fixmenus and then restart your windowmanager. You should now have menu entries for them.

If you have Multisession or a Full-HD install, you should probably place it in /, then follow the above instructions. I'm not certain about that though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

Re: Need instruction on 2.15 addon sfs files please

#3 Post by WhoDo »

paulh177 wrote:I've searched and googled but can't seem to find clear instructions on how to install / mount the new .sfs add-ons in 2.15CE.
Can someone please either post the link that I've missed, or write a How-To.
Here is a link to the FAQ on sfs plug-ins on the wiki.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215sfsExpansionPacks

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

davec51

Using .SFS Files

#4 Post by davec51 »

Pizzasgood wrote:Place it in the same location as your pup_save.2fs file (you must have one for them to load correctly), should be at /mnt/home/. Reboot. They should now be installed, but without menu entries. Open a terminal window and run the command fixmenus and then restart your windowmanager. You should now have menu entries for them.

If you have Multisession or a Full-HD install, you should probably place it in /, then follow the above instructions. I'm not certain about that though.
When I run fixmenus I get "/etc/xdg/templates: no such file or directory"
I know I'm doing something silly, but please help.

dsearles

#5 Post by dsearles »

WhoDo,

The instructions to place .SFS files into "/" on Full HD installs does not seem to work. Any other ideas?

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

When I run fixmenus I get "/etc/xdg/templates: no such file or directory"
Sounds like your XDG implementation is broken. How it broke I don't know. Try a fresh install and see if it works in that. If so, copy the files from that one's /etc/xdg/ somewhere, then reboot back to your normal save-file. Then you can copy the files into the proper place inside your save-file and hopefully get it working.
Any other ideas?
You could mount them and copy the contents into your save-file. Note: You'll need a big honkin' save-file. The 70-ish MB web_215.sfs file alone has about 200 MB of data in it!

To do it, use these commands:

Code: Select all

mount web_215.sfs /mnt/data
cp -r /mnt/data/* /
sync
umount /mnt/data
fixmenus
Then you can restart your windowmanager to enable the menu entries.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

paulh177

#7 Post by paulh177 »

@dsearles
I haven't tried this yet (waiting for a new hd in my testbed) but I wonder if you have to do the same procedure for full HDD install as you do when using the devx sfs ... there used to be some clear instructions at this link: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8871 but it's broken now that we have the new forum

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Probably. The devx_xxx.sfs file isn't anything special, just another .sfs file.

raffy

Frugal install

#9 Post by raffy »

How about if we make frugal install the only recommended HD install of Puppy? I guess this will simplify a lot of issues. (I say this as I have also encountered SFS files not working in full HD install of Puppy versions 2+.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

DennisF

#10 Post by DennisF »

Raffy there is probably some wisdom in this suggestion.
It simplifies so much for any newbie users. Although a type 2 install has time and place.

Personally I did a frugal install of the .SFS files I wanted then remastered then did a type 2 install. I think that having folks unionfs with a type 2 install is playing with fire and prone to catastrophic data loss.

Frugally however the .SFS functionality is great and seems to follow the "it just works" ideal.

paulh177

#11 Post by paulh177 »

The corrected link for the one mentioned in my last post is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8871
The procedure in the second post therein (by "tony") is the one that has worked for me.

paul

dsearles

#12 Post by dsearles »

Thanks for the link, paulh177.

Sadly, if the only way to mount the .SFS files in a full HD install is to have a separate HD partition for each, it doesn't sound like a very viable solution to me; especially since I might want to have 2 or 3 of them.

I guess I'll just have to manually install all those components myself and be unable to enjoy the fruits of the labors of all those who built the .SFS files in the first place.

Thanks anyway...

paulh177

#13 Post by paulh177 »

I'll stand corrected as I am applying my experience of installing a devx in a full HDD install of 2.13 to the situation with the new multiple sfs under 2.15, which I won't be able to try for a week or so BUT, I don't believe you will need a separate partition per sfs.

However you do need to have the sfs mounted on a separate partition while it is recursively copied to your primary partition (at least that is my understanding so far as the devx situation is concerned so it might easily apply) as per the instructions in the link.

I don't think I'll post further without testing it.

dsearles

#14 Post by dsearles »

I was able to get the .SFS's "copied" to the Full HD install using a "test" utility being developed by Sunburnt (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17068). I understand this is a "work in progress" and has some issues but it did work for me and I understand the gotchas noted by DennisF in that thread.[/url]

WhoDo

Re: Frugal install

#15 Post by WhoDo »

raffy wrote:How about if we make frugal install the only recommended HD install of Puppy? I guess this will simplify a lot of issues. (I say this as I have also encountered SFS files not working in full HD install of Puppy versions 2+.)
I would support that, but only where SFS files are involved. Otherwise the Full hard drive install is imperative for users with RAM-challenged hardware. It is often the only way that Puppy will run properly, post install.

We could say the SFS system requires 128Mb RAM as a minimum, and that a Frugal hard drive install is the only recommended option for machines requiring SFS with the minimum RAM. What do you think?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com