Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 22:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
PET-Be-Gone v0.4
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 3 of 6 [78 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
sideburns

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct 2008, 22:41    Post subject:  

I downloaded PET-be-gone as instructed, had it installed and tried it. Very nice. Alas, I didn't get rid of everything, so I tried to run it again. Imagine my surprise to see a window telling me how xdialog is used. Imagine my greater surprise to learn that the program had, effectively, uninstalled itself because the shell script that runs it was empty. Not only that, but as I'd had seamonkey run the file through dotpup, I didn't have it to reinstall. Then, I tried downloading it again and saving it to disk. Now, I have a copy, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get it installed, so I'll have to download it again and install it. Thought I'd let you know that there's a problem, unless that's the way you planned it, and if so, I'd love to know why!
Registered Linux user #470359
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct 2008, 23:23    Post subject:  

Quote:
Imagine my greater surprise to learn that the program had, effectively, uninstalled itself because the shell script that runs it was empty.
This is something new to me. Not sure how that could have happened. I thought for a minute that maybe it tried deleting itself and couldn't since it was running, but I just wrote a script to do that and it deleted itself just fine, and continued running to the finish (since to execute the script, BASH copies it into ram and executes the copy in ram, deleting the original had no effect on the running copy). So I don't think that could be it.

Now I wish I wasn't so swamped with homework and commitments right now, so I could try to figure out why it would do that.

...except, that cannot be. How could it have brought up the Xdialog box if the script itself is gone? Or do you mean that the script was wiped out from running it the second time, and now it won't even bring up the Xdialog box at all, since it's gone?

I may have to play around with PET-Be-Gone again next time I have some free time to see where all this weird behavior is coming from. A blind guess would be an error in the string parsing leading to a corrupt package list when it parses specific sequences of characters. That doesn't shed light on your self-clearing problem though.

sideburns

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct 2008, 01:20    Post subject:  

Looking further, I found that what I thought was an empty file was a directory, and there's still a program there. However, it doesn't run, except to bring up that dialog box. I found your mention of the file corruption and tried bringing back the backup file it created, but no joy. Presumably there are other corrupt files to be corrected. I'd try nuking the entire directory and reinstalling, but as I said, I can't get dotpup to admit it's there unless I download it again and I'd rather not waste bandwidth on it unless I have to. Suggestions?
aragon

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct 2008, 03:08    Post subject:  

hi pizzasgood,

i can confirm this strange behaviour.

before i remastered my dingo-version, i cleaned up with pet-be-gone. i noticed, that if i remove 'some' special packages, pet-be-gone will not work any more and only shows the mentioned xdialog-explanation.

but unluckily i didn't write down, with which packages it happened. so i'm not able to help finding the bug now Crying or Very sad.

as i'm starting a new remaster on 4.1 next week, i than might have further information for you.

cheers
aragon

Brandon

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008, 10:16    Post subject:  

I keep getting the Xdialog usage error. I need PET-BE-Gone for my Puplet, I don't have a high speed connection to do unleashed.
sideburns

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008, 13:15    Post subject:  

If nothing else, telling us how the file is corrupted and how we can clean it up ourselves (e.g., taking out blank lines at the top or whatever) would allow us to continue to use your program.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008, 21:20    Post subject:  

Okay, I'm on a long weekend so I'll check it out tomorrow or Monday.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct 2008, 01:10    Post subject:  

Sorry I didn't get to this on time. I underestimated how long my homework would take. Anyways, I made an initial run-through tonight and fixed a handful of errors. Mainly grep related. I had cases like this:
Code:
grep " on " $path
grep "$var" $path
#should have been:
grep '" on "'
grep '"'"$var"'"'
, and variations thereof. Yes, I could probably use brackets or something to make it prettier. This works.

Also noticed that I forgot to increase the internal version number last time I updated it. It doesn't affect anything, just thought I'd mention it incase somebody compares the code to the old version and wonders why it jumped two versions.

I don't know if those were all the bugs. I uninstalled a couple things one-at-a-time, and several at once, and it worked fine. But of course, the tendency is that the programmer has the most trouble getting the bugs to appear.

I will test it harder tomorrow or Sunday. It's time for me to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a potential for errors if this is run at the same time as PETget. A chunk of the code was copied directly out of PETget, and it names some of the temporary files the same thing that PETget does. Or did; I don't know if it still does. I was going to change that while I was in there tonight, but forgot. Will correct that also on Sunday or tomorrow.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct 2008, 02:18    Post subject:  

Note: I goofed up yesterday and re-uploaded the old version rather than version 0.3. I corrected that a couple hours ago.

However, now we are at version 0.4. I did some more thorough testing and found the main source of the problem: many packages have a description, and some have a '/' in the description. I had a sed command that took an entire line of the package list file as a parameter, and that '/' was being interpreted as one of the ones in the sed command. So I worked around that, and fixed a couple other bugs. I also added some code so that when errors happen, it will be less likely to break the files. Also, in the event that it does replace the deadpackages.txt file with a blank file (which is part of what caused the Xdialog error), it should now automatically replace it. It will lose track of what it has already uninstalled if that happens, but should be able to at least keep running this way.

The other source of the bug was related, but involved a blank string being inserted into livepackages.txt. Seem to have corrected it, and like I said, I added code to detect when that would happen and abort that function.

I also noticed that if you tried uninstalling something you'd already uninstalled with it, it would add duplicate entries to the livepackages.txt file. So now it will check first.

Finally, and I almost forgot again, I changed the temporary filenames that are also used by PETget. You really shouldn't run them at the same time anyways, since they both modify the livepackages.txt file, but it should be a little bit safer in case you forget. Please try not to run multiple instances of PET-Be-Gone itself though, or it may goof itself up.

If you notice any more errors that I've missed, let me know.

sideburns

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct 2008, 16:44    Post subject:  

One question before I try it: will this current version be able to deal with a file corrupted by your earlier version? If not, what do we need to do to prepare? After all, there's not much point in downloading a new version that can't cope with the mess I have now.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct 2008, 19:10    Post subject:  

Good point. The files involved are livepackages.txt and deadpackages.txt in /root/.packages/, which is a hidden directory (click the 'eye' button in ROX-Filer's toolbar).

If the deadpackages.txt is empty, you can delete it or leave it, makes no difference anymore. If it has stuff in it, it should have no blank lines, except possibly the final line. If there are blank lines, either remove them or remove the file. I don't think it should have any of those though.

Similar conditions for livepackages.txt. If there are any blank lines, they will probably be at the very top (since they were inserted alphabetically). Just remove them. If possible, you don't want to remove this file because it will lose track of any official packages you've installed. (Any third-party .pet files should be fine). That doesn't hurt anything, but it prevents you from uninstalling them unless you reinstall them again first.

If you do remove it, you need to run PETget's gui so that it will regenerate the file from packages.txt (this isn't a simple copy like deadpackages.txt starts as).

That should cover it. If you already have PET-Be-Gone installed, you may want to uninstall it first to remove its entry from PETget's list (since the new version will add a second entry). Otherwise, there are no issues with installing the new version over the old one. It will just overwrite the old files.

sideburns

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct 2008, 20:49    Post subject:  

OK, that's easy enough. Use PetGet's GUI to remove it, download the new version and reinstall it and the file should be fine. Great!
telemetric_au

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008, 05:14    Post subject:  

hi,

i have puppy 4.1.1 and installed 0pkgs 4.1.1 and then the petbgone, but im getting the following error:

ERROR: /root/.packages/unleashed does not exist. Maybe
0pkgs_db-4.1.1.pet isn't installed?

why so ? do u need unleashed or hdd install to even run petbgone, im currently just running frugal i think it is with save file...

thanks,

Hayden.
telemetric_au

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008, 05:19    Post subject:  

no problem, i got it working as per posted earlier:

pet2tgz 0pkgs_db-4.11.pet
tar -zxf 0pkgs_db-4.11.tar.gz
mv 0pkgs_db-4.11/root/.packages/* /root/.packages/.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008, 21:46    Post subject:  

The reason is because that package contains lists of what files belong to what package. Without those lists, it has no way to know what files to remove when you tell it to remove something.

The older version used to download the package, extract it, create the list, delete the extracted and downloaded copies, and then delete the files in the list. But that seemed kind of dumb when there was this nice package containing the lists already. And it was really slow if you wanted to remove a lot of stuff. Plus it would begin to have errors any time Puppy went through a minor upgrade, because the unleashed packages would be modified from the originals. The package list packages are left alone though, so the new way should work on any version.

Page 3 of 6 [78 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: