Puppy 215CE Final "VIZ" is here!

News, happenings
richard.a

#46 Post by richard.a »

wjaguar wrote:For those who don't have the HTML manual for mtPaint installed, we have a copy of it online:
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook ... ap_00.html
As for transparency - if you want to make a single colour transparent, it's manual section 3.3.5 "The Transparent Colour"; if you want alpha channel, it's section 7.5.1 "Converting a Colour Transparency to an Alpha Transparency".
Thankyou. Much appreciated :)

Will look and try, when I get a moment.

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Previously known as Guest

#47 Post by Previously known as Guest »

deleted.

jam

Dougal Remaster Issue

#48 Post by jam »

WhoDo,

Downloaded the latest 2.15 CE release with the new patches included. I then installed to HD, made the necessary customizations, and then attempted a Dougal enhanced remaster. It went through the entire process error-free, created the ISO, but when I attempted to boot off of the new LiveCD it failed when mounting UnionFS. Not sure if you already have a workaround/patch for this, but I thought I'd document it so you're aware of it.
Jam

WhoDo

Re: Dougal Remaster Issue

#49 Post by WhoDo »

jam wrote:... when I attempted to boot off of the new LiveCD it failed when mounting UnionFS. Not sure if you already have a workaround/patch for this, but I thought I'd document it so you're aware of it.
Not trying to teach you to "suck eggs", Jam, but did you use the puppy pfix=ram parameter when booting the LiveCD?

I have made several remasters of the 2.15CE Final iso with no problems, so maybe it was a bad burn? I'm actually writing from a machine now that was booted and updated using a remastered LiveCD built with Dougal's script, so I don't think the problem lies there. In fact the 2.15CE Final Update iso was built with Dougal's remaster script. We need to look further afield than that.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jam

Remaster Issue

#50 Post by jam »

WhoDo,

I've made remasters in the past without incident using the LiveCD with changes made in RAM, so I'm familiar with the process and I was actually involved in helping Dougal test his remaster script, but this is the first time I attempted to create the remaster using customizations that were made AFTER the HD install since I'm creating this on a machine with low memory resources. Went through this several times before I posted so I'm reluctant to point the finger at a bad burn, but I'll try to use your recommended parameter setting to see if this solves the problem. Now back to "sucking eggs"! :)
Jam

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#51 Post by Lobster »

I managed to use Dougals remaster script with Puppy Final (second release)

Here is the process
http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakk ... Tmxxine009

Hope that helps :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jam

Dougal Remaster

#52 Post by jam »

Lobster,

Did you try this remaster after an HD install? That's my problem. Remastering in RAM from a pristine or customized/remastered LiveCD has never been a problem - it has always worked flawlessly.

I'll be making some attempts at this again today and will report back with findings.

As always, thanks for any info you can provide.
Jam

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Dougal Remaster

#53 Post by Lobster »

jam wrote:Lobster,

Did you try this remaster after an HD install?
I did it from a Live CD . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

setecio

#54 Post by setecio »

richard.a wrote:...Edited Wed 11th April
Have resolved some of these issues now, with Warren's post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17065 and his release of patches, along with the updated ISO (and new md5) that came out after the weekend.
Does that quote above mean that a new 2.15CE iso has been issued since its original release which has fixed all the issues raised, and that the patches no longer need to be applied ?

I run Puppy2.14 on a IBM thinkpad 560Z laptop 128MB, 300Mhz PII 4GB HD and it runs fine.
Will 2.15CE run on it with a frugal install & swap partition, and will it still run with the extras if I install the .sfs file ?

Thanks

tempestuous

#55 Post by tempestuous »

I just discovered that the updated "alsaconf" which I provided is the "standard" version, and is wrong for Puppy.
I gave details here - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 400#110400
and I provided a dotpet of Barry's Puppy-compatible version, to fix the problem.

Sorry, the next version of 2.15 will need to have this fix.
And the speaker-test wav files in /usr/share/sounds/alsa/ are not needed and should be deleted. This will save 1 MB of space.

And I also suggest that the audio modules package posted here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 547#104547
not be included in 2.15's filesystem, since this appears to be a very inelegant workaround for the ALSA setup problem.

WhoDo

#56 Post by WhoDo »

setecio wrote:Does that quote above mean that a new 2.15CE iso has been issued since its original release which has fixed all the issues raised, and that the patches no longer need to be applied ?
Yes it does, with the exception of tempestuous' update in the preceding post.
setecio wrote:I run Puppy2.14 on a IBM thinkpad 560Z laptop 128MB, 300Mhz PII 4GB HD and it runs fine.
Will 2.15CE run on it with a frugal install & swap partition, and will it still run with the extras if I install the .sfs file ?
Yes. If you do a Frugal install, the plug-in sfs files will run if you simply place them in /mnt/home and reboot - use fixmenus and refresh WM to see the updates.

If you do a Full or "Normal" hard disk install, you will need sunburnt's sfs plug-in installer application, which loads and unloads the plugins specifically in Full hdd installs.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#57 Post by WhoDo »

tempestuous wrote:Sorry, the next version of 2.15 will need to have this fix. And the speaker-test wav files in /usr/share/sounds/alsa/ are not needed and should be deleted. This will save 1 MB of space.
I have posted a link to this post in the 2.15CE Patches and Updates threads. Thanks, tempestuous. That was the last outstanding issue for 2.15CE. I was about to post a question on the dev forum to resolve, but your post beat me to the punch.
tempestuous wrote:And I also suggest that the audio modules package posted here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 547#104547
not be included in 2.15's filesystem, since this appears to be a very inelegant workaround for the ALSA setup problem.
:oops: Too late. They've been in since the first edition of Final, and they're still in. When you say "inelegant", what does that mean in terms of consequences for the average user?

tempestuous

#58 Post by tempestuous »

"Inelegant" in this case means that Puppy is unnecessarily bloated in size, by approx 3MB.

Ever since version 2.12, Puppy has had an innovative system of keeping the full collection of kernel modules in a separate "zdrv" file, outside the main filesystem.
These modules are then installed in the filesystem "on-demand".

That package installs the full collection of ALSA audio modules (plus a few others) into the filesystem, thus partially negating the value of the zdrv system, and undoing Barry's good work.

I recommend the removal of these modules, because they are already available from the zdrv file.

Of course, removal would be a tedious process because there are so many of them. It would be easier just to delete the entire /lib/modules directory, then replace the original /lib/modules directory from an uncompressed 2.14 squashfile.