How do you stop the video wizard?

Booting, installing, newbie
Cobra_Phil

How do you stop the video wizard?

#1 Post by Cobra_Phil »

I am using Barely Pup 2.13 to monitor production in an industrial application. Currently the power to the pc is tied to the power of the machine, not my choice. When the machine loses power, so does the pc. When the pc reboots, the video wizard automatically starts. I need to bypass this wizard and just load the default xorg.conf when power is lost. Does anyone know how to do this?

Pup is installed on CF with save file enabled if that makes a difference.

Thank You

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Ok..the script which decides this is

/usr/X11R7/bin/xwin

Basically if puppy crashes/power is lost then the default is to exit to command line or similar depending on the version..

If you right click / open as text and look for a line

#v1.0.7 J_Reys idea (see note further down)...

or similar about halfway down you will find notes explaining what is happening...you should be able to mod the behavior by commenting out a line or two (#)
Sorry to appear vague but different versions of puppy will have different variations ... you can post here what you have if you are stuck.

Since you have a save file any changes should be saved for a reboot.

Hope this helps

mike

alienjeff

#3 Post by alienjeff »

[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

DennisF

#4 Post by DennisF »

Interesting application for Puppy Cobra_Phil.
Curious-What kind of machines are you monitoring?

Cobra_Phil

#5 Post by Cobra_Phil »

Thanks for the reply. I will take alook at it.

We are monitoring production on CNC machines. It they approve of this one pc, they are interested in ordering ~40 more. I have puppy running RealBasic on NorhTec's Client Jr, connected to a 8.4" touchscreen, talking to a Mitsubishi FX plc.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

if the X windows server is configured, and saved at least once, when you boot after a loss of power, it should not run the X server wizard ... it should stop at the command line with a message ... you would just need to type xwin to run X windows

you should be able to bypass the check so that X windows starts without intervention by putting a command like this in one of the boot scripts, like /etc/profile.local (before exec xwin) or in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

rm -f /etc/.XLOADED

or if you prefer:

echo -n "false" > /etc/.XLOADED

not that is is a good idea to shut down a multitasking operating system by cutting the power

VendaVision

#7 Post by VendaVision »

I tried

rm -f /etc/.XLOADED

and not only does it not work (it causes an endless loop and won't load xwin), but could it be what has stopped my mouse from working even after it detects it properly as ps2 during boot(?) In any case, it does not appear to be a working solution.

I know it isn't a good idea to cut the power on Linux, but it would be great to boot with a pre-configured puppy from a read-only hard drive, that launches gxine and plays my DVD full screen. Nothing written back to the hd would mean nothing would be different after a power failure and it should boot fine again. - Or some such solution.

Any pointers would be helpful, or perhaps another distro is better suited for this kind of thing if you know of one - I sure don't. Just using a standalone DVD player fails because they're not made to run 24/7 and they wear out fast.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

yes, there are hundreds of Linux distros ... and you can also build your own Linux operating system, from scratch if you like ... Puppy was not specifically designed and built for the purpose you want to use it for

i think Puppy is supposed to work like this: when Puppy boots, it checks to see if the X system is configured, if not it runs the configuration wizard, if it is configured, it checks .XLOADED, if Puppy did not shut down normally, it prints a message telling you how to start X and how to configure X if necessary

you can modify .XLOADED so Puppy thinks it shut down normally, but if there is a problem, X may not start properly

if you boot Puppy at least once, and configure X, and save the configuration when Puppy shuts down, then Puppy should not run the X wizard when Puppy boots, because it knows that X is already configured

if the X wizard is being run when Puppy boots again, there is something wrong ... maybe the configuration data was not saved

if you install Puppy as a frugal install, and set it up and configure it to run the way you like, then you could back up the pup_save file (just copy it) ... if you copy the backup file to the pup_save file (again, just copy 1 file) then Puppy should boot exactly and identically the same way each time ... you could also check the other files every time Puppy boots, to see if they have changed at all ... this should result in relatively reliable system

however, if you need to save data, configuration changes, etc etc between boots, you could not do that directly, but you could save items outside the pup_save file, for example

you would probably need to add a line to copy the backup file over the pup_save file in /sbin/init in intrd.gz ... that would require remastering the initrd.gz file, though that is not really difficult ... or you could build a Puppy iso from Unleashed packages, again, it's not really difficult

if you need to save data between boots, and you must use the pup_save file to save the data, you could do something like backup the important configuration files and copy them back every time Puppy boots ... for example, configuring X windows is mostly symlinking X to Xorg or to Xvesa in /usr/X11R7/bin/, and putting a usable xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ ... so once X is configured, you should be able to automatically reinstall the default configuration you have set up every time Puppy boots

you can look in /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin to see what it is doing, and modify xwin if you like

xwin seems to run the video wizard if there is not an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ ... if the file is there, the wizard should not need to run ... (line 282 in xwin in Puppy 214 ... or search the file for "xorgwizard")