How to make a multi-purpose boot CD for Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gerry

#31 Post by gerry »

@rcrsn51 your advice for the grub-install package is not quite right.

Where you run the grub simulator, and enter "find /boot/marker I got an error message to say that grub could not find it. I tried it on a Debian install on another machine, and that didn't find it either.

So I googled it- and found that it is not often used. So I ignored the message, and all went well.

EDIT: I'm wrong. I managed to lose it, it's part of the grub-install package.

EDIT: without the marker, which is intended to make sure that you put grub in the right place, BE CAREFUL

Gerry

d4p

#32 Post by d4p »

I just integrated plop boot manager into my multiboot dvd.
Wow, plop is the most advanced multi-purpose boot manager ever.
It can boot/wake up many OS's: linux, windows, bootable image, and also usb without bios support. http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

MikeMT

#33 Post by MikeMT »

Puppy Linux 4.2 retro on USB

Two problems with booting USB.

1st.
Because my computer does not boot from a USB drive, I have been booting Puppy with a WakePup2 floppy, which works great. For faster and quieter booting, I wanted to boot puppy with a CD. I thought pupboot.zip would be my ticket. I downloaded the zip and unpacked it. Using ISO Master I read the note that said that vmlinz and initrd.gz had to be included on the image. I copied them to the pupboot.iso and and burned the iso. Failed to boot. Message on the screen stated, "Loading Stage 2" and stuck there. Strange thing was that the floppy drive (which was empty) light was on, as if Grub was trying to access the floppy.

What is the hitch?

2nd problem:
I then decided to try multiboot. tar.gz. Downloaded, unpacked, read the notes,included vmlinuz and initrd.gz, burned the image, and rebooted. Pup loaded quickly, but wait . . .no sound. lsmod showed few modules loaded:

# lsmod
Module Size Used by
fuse 44820 0
aufs 151456 3
nls_iso8859_1 4224 1
nls_cp437 5888 1
usbhid 24544 0
usb_storage 83008 1
ehci_hcd 30476 0
uhci_hcd 23948 0
usbcore 126104 5 usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
ide_cd 39072 0
cdrom 36768 1 ide_cd
squashfs 46856 1
#

I tried a new burn with a copy of vmlinuz from the live cd, same result.

What is the fix for either or both of the problems.
Thanks

rjbrewer

#34 Post by rjbrewer »

To boot a usb with a cd; use the cd with the same os the flash
has on it. When it gets to boot screen, type "puppy pmedia=
usbflash". (no quotes)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

I just downloaded a copy of 4.20 retro and made a USB-boot CD combo. It worked fine and installed all the sound modules.

Tell us about your PC. Is there anything non-standard about the optical drive?

Do you get sound when you boot off the Live CD?

Did you try rjbrewer's technique? Use the Puppy CD as the boot disk and during the short initial pause, type:

Code: Select all

puppy pmedia=usbflash

MikeMT

#36 Post by MikeMT »

My PC has two optical drives: a DVD as master, a CD-RW as slave. So the PC boots off the DVD drive. Nothing unusual.

I did try rjbrewer's technique. Puppy booted, but without the all the modules (no sound). The same modules as listed in my previous post.

rcrsn51

#37 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you get sound when you boot off the Live CD?

Sylvander

#38 Post by Sylvander »

Sorry to break in out of sequence, but...

See posts #113 &114 here where I quoted rcrsn51 saying:
#113: ""The 'fixmbr' attachment contains an ISO image of a bootable CD based on FreeDOS. You can use it to restore a Windows MBR that has been overwritten by a Linux bootloader.
Burn the image and boot your machine off it.
At the A> prompt, type the command: fdisk /mbr
Remove the CD and reboot."
"

And in post #114 Paul Komski commented:
#114: "This is a legacy command from DOS for repairing the MBR on Windows ME and earlier but not for repairing the MBR on NT versions of Windows such as 2K/XP and above and for which the command is fixmbr from an NT-based recovery console. Any DOS boot floppy or emulated CDROM should have fdisk on it. The reason is simple enough: fixmbr leaves the original disk signature intact; fdisk rewrites a new one. That means that when the NT OS starts up it re-detects all the hard drive partitions, may re-assign different drive letters and can even be enough to trip a re-activation. There are times when one wants deliberately to re-detect the partitions in this way but not in the normal course of events. The fdisk /mbr command can also result in zeroing of all the partition tables if the magic number 55AA does not occupy the last two bytes of the MBR."

MikeMT

#39 Post by MikeMT »

There is no sound and limited modules are loaded when booting from the live CD.

Windows is not on this machine. Ubuntu is installed on the harddrive, which boots correctly.

Aitch

#40 Post by Aitch »

MikeMT

It might help if you tell us what your pc is, or what sound chip *buntu sees

the fact that 'limited modules are loaded', i.e. several aren't loading, suggests a deeper problem, maybe requiring boot parameters

examples

puppy acpi=off

puppy pfix=nodma
see

http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/archives ... #internal4

Aitch :)

MikeMT

#41 Post by MikeMT »

Backup a bit. When flash Puppy is booted with the Wakepup2 floppy all modules are loaded, sound is fine. I am trying to get a boot CD to work. because it would be faster booting. My first post detailed the problems.

The PC is an old Gateway with sound built in the motherboard.

MikeMT

#42 Post by MikeMT »

Problem solved.

I reinstall Puppy 4.2 retro to another USB flash drive. Using the same MultibootCd, booted Puppy up. All modules were loaded. I do not know what was corrupted on the other drive. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Aitch

#43 Post by Aitch »

Well persevered, Mike :D

Aitch :)

SelftaughtGeek

GRUB multiboot Puppy 4

#44 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

I have been trying to configure GRUB (sat on a floppy) to give me the options of either booting from the live cd or booting from my frugal install on the HD, without success. L

The grubflop file seems to be the answer I need but can you answer a question please? Apologies if it is stupid or basic but I am trying to learn a whole new world, this is my first real escape from Windows.

Why does the menu.lst file for the live CD option not look for a vmlinux kernel?

Thanks
STG
Everything I know I found out for myself but only after some kind person pointed out the way.
I'm not really a Geek, just hate things that don't work

Guitar John

#45 Post by Guitar John »

rjbrewer wrote:Ummm...

This idea of including Dariks Boot & Nuke in a multi-iso cd ,
has potentially hilarious repercussions.

Please keep us informed of any long term consequences.

ha ha ha
:shock: YIKES!!

arresc

#46 Post by arresc »

Hi,

Which file should I edit to have "puppy pmedia=usbflash" as the default option to boot off of the Cdrom? I need this because not only my laptop does not boot from usb it also has a broken display (I can't have a display next to the laptop in it's intended location).

I would also like to ask which version of puppy any of you would recommend ( I need samba+mpd+ssh on this puppy)

thanks a bunch,
To boot a usb with a cd; use the cd with the same os the flash
has on it. When it gets to boot screen, type "puppy pmedia=
usbflash". (no quotes)

mf2008

Integrate these tools with Puppy Live-CD?

#47 Post by mf2008 »

I've been using the tools in the first post of this thread for 2-3 years. They should really be included with the Puppy. Just click an icon and create the multi-boot tool, etc.

I've found multi-boot useful for running Puppy in a VirtualBox machine. VB doesn't boot from USB device. It will boot from a .iso image. I create the .iso image using the multi-boot tool, configure VB to boot from that .iso. Then I'm able to boot from my USB flash drive which contains Puppy.

Pelo

nicoo7 multiboot CD

#48 Post by Pelo »

Idea back in 2017 nicoo7 multiboot CD
Attachments
nic0007.jpg
(43.58 KiB) Downloaded 83 times