can I install kppp and konqueror to puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
BHINTZ

can I install kppp and konqueror to puppy

#1 Post by BHINTZ »

I have installed puppy office puppy 202 on my desktop and would like to add kppp rather than gppp. Is that possible and how would I do that? I have foxfire and ltmodem already working, but do not know how to tell what speed I am signed on at. As I have a dial up, I frequently need to try several times if I am not getting a good connection. If there is another way to tell what speed my connection is, that would also solve my problem.

Bob

MU

#2 Post by MU »

There is a full KDE, but the file is over 500 MB, too large for dialup:
http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/Megapu ... README.htm

You might prefer mini-KDE, which is less than 50 MB:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10546

It has konqueror, but not kppp.
But that should be easy to install with the mentioned slackware-packages.

Certainly there are smaller tools to give you information about your connection, wait what others suggest :)
Mark

BHINTZ

#3 Post by BHINTZ »

The mini-kde sounds fine to me, but I am in no real hurry so I'll wait and see what I get.

Thanks for the quick response.

Bob

EZ4arabs

#4 Post by EZ4arabs »

Hello my good Friend MU
I know this is Not the linux way of doing things but I managed to run KPPP as a stand alone dialer without installing kde,I did this by isolating the libs needed to run it and other components.
I get error saying:

Code: Select all

kppp: ERROR: Error: standard icon theme "crystalsvg"  not found!
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
DCOPRef::send(): no DCOP client or client not attached error
but the kppp dialer starts and runs ok.maybe if you have time you can do something with it to create a dotpup.

files needed to run kppp:
kppp (usr/bin)
libkdecore (usr/lib)
libkdeui (usr/lib)
libkio.so.4 (usr/lib)
libkdesu.so.4 (usr/lib)
libkwalletclient.so.1 (usr/lib)
libDCOP.so.4 (usr/lib)
libidn.so.11 (usr/lib)
libqt-mt.so.3 (/usr/lib/qt/lib)
libGL.so.1 (/ /usr/x11r6/lib)
libXxf86vm.so.1 (/usr/x11r6/lib)
I hope this can help anyone who just want kppp.

BHINTZ

#5 Post by BHINTZ »

Hi,

Just a quick update - I have gotten Gnomeppp to run and it does have a line which reveals the speed of the connection. It is just a little harder to find than what you get with kppp.

Thanks for the help and it the dotpup for kppp ever becomes available I would surely use it.

Bob

EZ4arabs

#6 Post by EZ4arabs »

To create a dotpup for kppp it would be overkill for just a ppp dialer.if you have the mini kde installed chances are you already have :
libkdecore.so.4.2.0 (which is over 3MB)
libkdeui.so.4.2.0 (which is more than 2MB)
and chances are your pupppy version already have qt installed so all what you need is the application kppp in /usr/bin and the following files which are less than 600K
libDCOP.so.4
libidn.so.11
libkdefx.so.4

Please note that you have to create symlinks to all the files I mentioned above,for example you will need to link /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4 from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4.2.0
if you know how to write a script that can do bulk symlinks for those files would appreciated very much if you post it.
for someone to install kppp alone it wouldn't (IMHO )a wise choice,I did it just to see what makes it work.
but if anyone wants these files and know of a site that i can upload the zipped files mentioned above (the tar.gz file is more than 6MB) please post back.

Q

#7 Post by Q »

EZ4arabs
Don't you think it would be ""WISE"" to wait a while till you get more familiar with linux and how to do jobs in a professional manner before you screw someone's system?!
it takes more than copying few files from here to there,that is not how linux works,its not windows that you just register a dll or vxd to get the program running.
that error you posted above:
IS NOT TO BE IGNORED just because the application ""seems"" to work just fine....Image

MU

#8 Post by MU »

IS NOT TO BE IGNORED just because the application ""seems"" to work just fine....Image
DCOP is KDEs internal communication protocol.
If kppp works, and no other KDE application is needed, also no protocol should be needed to let more than one application communicate with each other.
So yes, in this case you could ignore it.

There is a quite small solution (26 MB) for KDE-libs already:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=69365#69365
So just kppp might have to be added.

EZ4arabs, a smaller dotpup just for kppp also might be interesting to see, how far you can strip things down :)

Mark

EZ4arabs

#9 Post by EZ4arabs »

MU wrote:
EZ4arabs, a smaller dotpup just for kppp also might be interesting to see, how far you can strip things down :)

Mark
I tried it on 2 versions of puppy (barebones2.01 and meanpuppy) the first didn't have qt installed so libqt-mt.so.3 was added to /usr/lib/qt/lib and that file alone is more than 6MB
but for meanpuppy kppp runs without any other kde compnents or even directories like opt .
for those who want to try it please remember that you have to create symlinks as follow:
link libkdecore.so.4 to libkdecore.so.4.2.0

link libkdeui.so.4 to libkdeui.so.4.2.0

link libkio.so.4 to libkio.so.4.2.0

link libkdesu.so.4 to libkdesu.so.4.2.0

link libkwalletclient.so.1 to libkwalletclient.so.1.0.1

link libDCOP.so.4 to libDCOP.so.4.2.0

link libidn.so.11 to libidn.so.11.1.3

link libkdefx.so.4 to libkdefx.so.4.2.0

link /usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 to /usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.4

link /usr/x11r6link /lib/libGL.so.1 to /lib/libGL.so.1.2

link /usr/x11r6/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1 to /usr/x11r6/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1.0

so if the user have the basic kde installed I think the dotpup wouldn't be more than 800kb or so.

here is the zip file if you have time see what youcan do with it

http://d.turboupload.com/de/1081680/b1aowkfjtg.html

Thank youMark for your support.

MU

#10 Post by MU »

ok thanks EZ :)
Here is a dotpup. 3.5 MB, 11 MB extracted:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/Kppp.pup

It does not include libqt-3.3.x, as you can install that with Pupget as a shared library used by other programs, too.

My dotpup extracts everything to /usr/local/Kppp, so there is no danger to overwrite something.

A startscript and menu-entry "Kppp" (with Big "K") is included.
It will display all potential errors, for example if libqt is not installed.
If you just see errors about DCOP, ignore them.

Mark

mouldy

#11 Post by mouldy »

I saw this thread and for heck of it installed Kppp. It connects fine, but wont unconnect. After connection it minimizes to tray and stays there, wont maximize again. Even if you kill it, the connection remains. Even if you run it in terminal and then kill the terminal.

I will say that I have been having problems with my connection going dead but not disconnecting with both GKdial and wvdial usually after a few minutes of being online. I would have to manually disconnect then reconnect. figured it was my isp playing games, but so far havent had the Kppp connection go dead on me but only used it one day so maybe my isp was having a good day. As to other fuctionality as a ppp gui frontend, personally think qtwvdial is more friendly and better mannered if you are going to have qt installed anyhow. Still nice to have lots of options and I will probably continue to use kppp if it continues to give relief from my connection problem.

mouldy

#12 Post by mouldy »

:oops: My goof. I had option checked for kppp to dock into panel. Well it doesnt have KDE panel so that was causing weirdness. Unchecked that and works fine though be nice if somebody could mention how to not have to go through that error on startup about missing DCOP thing and that Kppp message thing when it disconnects. Those are just two more unnecessary things to click off. Reminds me of those annoying script errors in that other operating system. Oh well at least it disconnects cleanly now.