Trouble with wireless (Intel 3945)

Booting, installing, newbie
sertse

Trouble with wireless (Intel 3945)

#1 Post by sertse »

My main laptop, Acer Aspire 5580 uses Intel 3945 wireless.

I can not connect using the Network wizard in Puppy 4.1.1

Scan detects my network. But "test wlan0" fails. Needless to say going through the wizard doesn't connect me to the Internet.

Any help?

glassparrot

#2 Post by glassparrot »

Have you been able to connect to your network at least once before, sertse? Or not at all?

sertse

#3 Post by sertse »

Not at all. =/

Also my connection is WEP, would that be a factor?

nmwinow

#4 Post by nmwinow »

sertse, I spent several hours this weekend trying to get wifi working on 4.1.1 with an orinoco gold card on my Dell. I got it working but I don't know why it worked. Like it did with you, Pup recognized the card and detected my network but wouldn't connect.

In pupget I found an app called rutilT for v3.0. It was recommended in this forum as an alternate wifi configuration tool. I have no idea whether it worked when I ran it; perhaps it never ran at all.

Then Instead of following the network wizard or trying to manually set up the wifi connection I ran the OLD network wizard and chose an automatic connect option. Worked like a charm.

You could try to figure it all out, or you could just do those actions and see if you connect.

glassparrot

#5 Post by glassparrot »

Sertse, what you want to do whenever you're having trouble with any technical computer process, is to simplify things. I would suggest that you turn off WEP temporarily and see if you can connect without it. Then once you get a connection, reenable WEP with a simple password, gradually working your way back to your old passphrase. There are several steps to setting up a wireless connection and you have to know something about the technical process in order to use that network wizard. If you've found your network by scanning you're most of the way there. Then if you're not using encryption, press the "use this profile" button. On the next page, you have to press the "Auto DHCP" button ; this goes and gets you an IP address from your ISP. After that point, it will then ask you whether you want to save that configuration for the next boot. Test the connection with your web browser before agreeing to this.

Now, to get WEP working, you'll have to press the WEP button, and type in your key at the new field which appears below labeled "key:" Then you can press the save button, so that next time you run the wireless wizard, you don't have to reenter that long passphrase. Instead, you just look for the profile in the "select a profile to load:" box, and press "Load." Then you can skip immediately to "Use this profile"

Now as if you weren't exhausted enough, I'm going to recommend that you read this tutorial on configuring the wifi connection from the command line. That will help, if you ever run into troubles again which leave you bemused.