2.14 Gnumeric still doesn't work (solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
PaulBx1

2.14 Gnumeric still doesn't work (solved)

#1 Post by PaulBx1 »

Gnumeric is still acting like it did back in 2.11 when you would get a lot of "#NAME?" errors in cells if you didn't have the gnumeric addin pupget.

I had that plugin in 2.11, and it then worked. When I upgraded from 2.11 to 2.14, I cleaned out all the installed stuff including that pupget, thinking the install would be cleaner, and added back what little I actually needed. I only now tried gnumeric and found this problem. I thought gnumeric in 2.14 didn't need the addin.

I thought there might be some screwup with those .wh. files, so I tried that little script of GuestToo's to clean them all out (on a copy of my pupsave, just to be safe). That didn't help though.

I wonder if that gnumeric addin petget is still around somewhere? I'd like to try that.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Tue 27 Mar 2007, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Do you mean the 'gnumeric_PLUGINS' package? That's, available, just run PETget.

PaulBx1

#3 Post by PaulBx1 »

I ran petget; it's not there.

There seem to be two alphabetical lists, the large one up front and a smaller one at the end. It's not in the appropriate place in either list, nor (that I can tell) anywhere in them.

Is it in your petget list? How does that list get pupulated :wink: anyway?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I've made a note of it, that is a bug. gnumeric_PLUGINS should be in the list on the left-side of the 2-pane window in PETget.

What you can do for now is download it from ibiblio, in pet_packages-2 directory. After downloading, just click on it. Well, even a left-click in SeaMonkey will install it directly.

Gekko

#5 Post by Gekko »

PaulBx1

#6 Post by PaulBx1 »

Barry, your prescription doesn't seem to work - either left-clicking directly in Seamonkey, or downloading and clicking on it.

I get some message from petget mgr about "Processing, please wait...", but there is never a "success" message and I never see evidence in the petget manager, when I start it up, that the package has been installed. And when I run gnumeric, it still has the problem with formulas.

PaulBx1

#7 Post by PaulBx1 »

OK, I tried invoking petget from the command line, so I could look at messages. Also, instead of just clicking on the file, I used the 2nd button in the petget window to install a downloaded petget file. And, despite a lot of messages in the console window, it seemed to work.

Here are the messages:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# petget
RETVAL=13
find: warning: you have specified the -mount option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mount affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mount option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mount affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.

cp: cannot stat `./gnumeric_PLUGINS-1.6.3/etc/*': No such file or directory
find: ./usr/share: No such file or directory
find: ./usr/share: No such file or directory
Generating master help page /usr/share/doc/index.html...
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
/usr/sbin/petget: line 154: 18762 Terminated              yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "PETget package manager
Updating menu, please wait..."
/usr/sbin/petget: line 232: 19689 Terminated              yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "PETget package manager
Checking dependencies, please wait..."
sh-3.00# 
So it looks like simply clicking on the package in a rox window has some problems (and anyway, see this thread which may be related).

I was encouraged that in the right pane of that petget window, that lists the installed packages, the gnumeric plugins was listed.

However, even after rebooting, gnumeric still shows the "NAME" errors in cells. :(

PaulBx1

#8 Post by PaulBx1 »

OK, finally, I just invoked it from the menu but picked the 2nd button again. It went through and gave the success message. However even after rebooting, gnumeric still is broken.

PaulBx1

#9 Post by PaulBx1 »

I was fooling around with an equation, trying to figure out what in it was causing the #NAME? error, and I pasted it in another cell. It worked there! Hmmm... I pasted the original formula back on itself, and it worked too! Then I went all through the spreadsheet and pasted whole blocks of formulas back on themselves, and the whole speadsheet started working.

Don't ask me why! :?

And now it's OK even if I remove the gnumeric plugins package, which is how I thought 2.14 was supposed to work.

So, it looks like the bugs in this whole mess are that
1) gnumeric plugins is missing from the petget list (although it does not seem needed any more)
2) petget does not work when invoked from the command line
3) just clicking a petget package does not successfully install it

Anyway, I'm happy again... :)