2.15CE RC-2: Doesn't like Firefox + Flash

Please post any bugs you have found
Pizzasgood

2.15CE RC-2: Doesn't like Firefox + Flash

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

I can make Firefox and Flash 9 work fine in Puppy 2.14, Pizzapup 3.0.1, and Pizzapup 3.0. But not Puppy 2.15 CE RC-2. Flash videos will load up and play fine, but if I hit back or home, it freezes and needs a killall firefox-bin to kill it.

Firefox is installed in /usr/local/firefox. Flash is in /usr/local/flash. I have symlinks for Flash in /usr/local/firefox/plugins/ and /root/.mozilla/plugins/. The export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 line is in /etc/profile already, I checked.

That exact setup works fine in everything else. It's in the web_215.sfs file, so I know it's the exact same. I tested it in vanilla installations. I've also installed them manually; same results.

GRRRRR.....

On the plus side, I discovered "Ask a Ninja" while testing it. So far I haven't found an episode about configuring Flash and Firefox though...
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

the plugins path does not seem to work properly, so it needs to be set explicitly for both Seamonkey and Firefox

if Seamonkey is installed in Puppy in /usr/lib/mozilla, then the plugins path for Seamonkey would need to be set using something like this:

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/root/.mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

if Firefox is installed in /usr/local/firefox, then the plugins path for Firefox would need to be set something like this:

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/root/.mozilla/plugins:/usr/local/firefox/plugins

it is not a good idea to set Firefox to use Seamonkey's plugins folder, because Seamonkey's plugins (like libnullplugin.so) might cause Firefox to crash ... and vice versa

so, i think you need to set different MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH variables for the two browsers

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I just tried that. Didn't help. I also tried fixing the problem it had with a font environment variable, but that didn't help either.

I can't think of what would be different in 2.15 from 2.14 that would affect Firefox or Flash.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

well, it might not be useful in your case, but it might help other people ... sometimes renaming /root/.mozilla and starting Firefox with a clean brand-new profile can help certain problems ... for example, if Firefox upgraded from an older version

if it doesn't help, the renamed .mozilla folder can be restored