Need Driver for Realtek High Definition Audio

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
kelewax

Need Driver for Realtek High Definition Audio

#1 Post by kelewax »

I need help for sound drivers for Realtek High Definition Audio. Havent been able to get sound working on an Acer Laptop which has Realtek High Definition Audio Codec.
Dont know if this link would help
ftp://152.104.238.194/pc/hda/alc880d/re ... 4c.tar.bz2

I downloaded it but dont know what to do with it
Which of the favours of your Lord can you deny?

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(EDITED --disregard, see Pizzasgood's solution below)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Mon 07 Aug 2006, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

You need the devx_202.sfs file because you need to compile it.

Put the driver file somewhere out of the way (/tmp/NewDir is a good spot), open a terminal, and run

Code: Select all

bunzip2 realtek-linux-audiopack-4.04c.tar.bz2
tar -xf realtek-linux-audiopack-4.04c.tar
cd realtek-linux-audiopack-4.04c
./install
Hopefully that will work. It did for my computer, which has a built in Realtek audio chip on my Epox board. FYI, the "bunzip2 decompresses it (the .bz2 extension) and "tar -xf" extracts it (the .tar part). Then "cd" changes the directory and "./install" installs it using the script it comes with named "install."
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

kelewax

#4 Post by kelewax »

THanks for the response. I will give a try and report back my findings.

kelewax

#5 Post by kelewax »

Tried it but still no sound

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmm... Did it spit out any error messages? Otherwise the only things I can think of are to make sure your cables are tight, the speakers are on with their volumes turned up, and that Puppy's volume is also turned up (use xtmix from the "multimedia" section of the start menu because there are more than one volume settings that might need to be cranked up, including the knob on the right).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

kelewax

#7 Post by kelewax »

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Hmm... Did it spit out any error messages?
No error messages. Also speakers are on and volumes turned up.

Well when this effort failed I went to the Ubuntu Forums and I got some form of solution. The problem is as a result of a bug in Alsa for which a patch was created.

The link to the solution on Ubuntu Forums is
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202555&page=5
where it says:
Re: No sound w/ HDA-Intel Realtek ALC883 - tried *everything*

AWESOME! I just had sound for the first time in weeks. can't friggin believe it.

here's how i aplied that patch (there may be ways to do it without recompiling alsa-driver, but i couldn't figure that out right now):

1. i downloaded alsa.patch from Here
2. i downloaded and unpacked alsa-driver 1.0.12rc3 from alsa-project.net, unpacked it
3. i did
Code:
patch -p1 < /path/to/acer.patch
and when prompted for the file to patch i entered
Code:
/path/to/alsa-driver-1.0.12rc3/alsa-kernel/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c

4. i compiled the driver:
Code:
./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
make
sudo make install

5. i added to /etc/modules:
Code:
snd-hda-intel model=ACER

to /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.modprobe i added
Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=ACER

to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base i added:

options snd-hda-intel model=ACER

(there may be some redundancy in these entries)

5. i rebooted (unloading and reloading the modules didn't do the trick for some reason)

i guess the patch will be added to the next release candidate of ALSA, so there's an end to this nightmare..
Now I tried this with Puppy 2.0.2 (with devx_202.sfs) everything seemed to be going fine until I reached the

sudo make install

Note I did not include sudo in the code I typed in. It gave me error messages of files or folders not existing. And as would be expected my hopes of having sound were dashed.

Ok enough of the story. I would like some one to please kindly recompile ALSA as above and send it to me as a tarball. Also I would like to know which files I need to manually edit ( ie maybe rc.local0 or module.conf)

Thank you, while I wait for someone to make me very happy.

fluxit

#8 Post by fluxit »

Now I tried this with Puppy 2.0.2 (with devx_202.sfs) everything seemed to be going fine until I reached the

sudo make install
If you made it to this point with no errors, you should have the module built already. You just need to find it. Assuming the module you built works with Puppy's alsa, and depending on the type of Puppy install you are using(livecd with pupsave, frugal, etc.,) installing it may be as simple as replacing the current copy in /lib/modules/* and adding the options line referenced in your post to /etc/modules.conf.

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

everything seemed to be going fine until I reached the

sudo make install
Key word: seemed.

Are you sure that the "make" command ended of its own accord, or did it end due to errors? Check the final lines it spits out to check. If it did indeed finish, then it compiled everything. The "make install" only moves the files it compiled into the correct places and maybe modifies some settings.

I'd try to do it, but I don't have time, especially if it's already done. Sorry, but study comes before Puppy. Besides, I'm not exactly the best at compiling. :roll:

Good luck!

eden6000

#10 Post by eden6000 »

so, hello guys! same problem here, acer aspire 5310, totally mute (also wireless not working, but that's not a priority...) I really need help from you, I tried everything, read all I could find, in this and other forums, I have tried the realtek drivers, compiled alsa drivers with the patches..nothing, pc is always mute, even if apparently there are no errors...alsamixer in puppy 3.00 shows more options, but still no sound....furthermore I use and want to continue using Pizzapup...PLEASE HELP :shock: I MUST use puppy, I don't want that Vixxta that is shipped with the notebook (os booted, some programs automatically loaded....700 mb of ram used!!! and you should hear that poor hd always running like a horse...)
come on, let's find a solution :D

paulh177

#11 Post by paulh177 »

have you tried the "simple" solution?

# modprobe snd_hda_intel

... then ...

# alscaconf

... then ...

# alsamixer

... then ...

# alsactl store

.... then reboot.

Worked on my Acer with that card.
Or use Puppy 3.00 where it works without any human intervention

paul

eden6000

#12 Post by eden6000 »

thanks Paul..yes I tried also those commands, except for the last one, which I tried now...no, it's like if the card was muted by something, because if you play a file, even with aplay, it shows you no errors! puppy 300 did not work as well however, it just showed more options on alsamixer, but remained mute too...
going to bed now, here it's around midnight...if you or someone else have ideas, they are very appreciated
p.s. ubuntu feisty live failed as well...in Vista the sound is working (thanks to the driver, not to Vista)... :D

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

kelewax wrote:The link to the solution on Ubuntu Forums is
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202555&page=5
Puppy 3.0's snd-hda-intel module already has the changes described in the patch from that link, so the module is good-to-go for Acer compatibility.
Please see my post about snd-hda-intel configuration here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22383

Your audio device is probably ALC883/888, and your parameter will be either "acer" (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
or "acer-aspire" (Aspire 9810)

eden6000

#14 Post by eden6000 »

YES!!!!!
Tempestuos you re GREAT!!
it worked! I don't have to load that ugly Vixta anymore to hear sounds!!
now I want to try upgrading ALSA in pizzapup and see if it works there too (I find Pizzapup more "beautiful" also if I know it's older.....).
Btw wireless works too in Puppy 3.00, I don't have a wireless modem, but I see my neighborhood network..... :D

eden6000

#15 Post by eden6000 »

sorry for the bold, I made a mistake....thanks again