Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

News, happenings
Previously known as Guest

#61 Post by Previously known as Guest »

puppyfan12 wrote: It appears KompoZer is redundant as it's included in both web_215.sfs and pgs_215.sfs. See Release Details for the current applications list. Perhaps it should be removed from the pgs_215.sfs?
KompoZer has already been removed from pgs_215.sfs.

metre9dmt

Using the *.sfs files

#62 Post by metre9dmt »

I downloaded all the files. I made a booting CD for the Puppy Linux 2.15 RC2 while the *.sfs files where place the user directory in the hard drive. When I booted PL, I cannot access the contents of the *.sfs files.

Can you please tell how to have access to the said *.sfs files?

Regards.

Metre9dmt 8-)

Pizzasgood

#63 Post by Pizzasgood »

They don't load unless you load a save-file, so if you test it before one's created, or boot with the pfix=ram option, they won't work.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

richard.a

#64 Post by richard.a »

Pizzasgood wrote:They don't load unless you load a save-file, so if you test it before one's created, or boot with the pfix=ram option, they won't work.
Hmmm that's a trap for the unwary, mate.

Thanks for mentioning that :)

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Fishy

Lost Pup_Save

#65 Post by Fishy »

Total idiot here! My pup_save has gone to Never Land and I cannot for the life of me find it. I have used all the file find tools with no results. I know it is in /dev/hda6 because I always keep Puppy there. Pretty sure it hasn't slipped the leash. :oops:

hda1- windows xp
hda2 - / debian reisors
hda3 - /home reisors fs
hda5 - swap
hda6 - Puppy 2.15
hda7 - ext2 blank

Bye the way it is a vanilla install with only Streamtuner downloaded. Bye the way, It does't work in 215 but did in 214.

Fishy

#66 Post by Fishy »

One more thing, in 215 there is no /mnt/home, which if I remember correctly was where the pup save file was leashed. Maybe will have to do a wipe and re-install an earlier version of puppy to refresh my memory?

Cheers

My wife cannot understand the fun in frustrating oneself but I tell her it is better than the boob tube. :lol:

richard.a

#67 Post by richard.a »

Fishy, a very useful tool to download is a product known as GAG.

Stands for el Gestor de Arranque Grafico (which is Spanish; in English it is a Graphical Boot Manager).

You download it and create either a boot floppy (3-1/2 inch) or a boot CD.

It will detect and tell you where whatever startable operating systems there are. It then will create button presses for (I think) up to ten different Operating Systems on a boot menu it throws up. I've used it to recover all sorts of things :)

google will find it for you. Try http://gag.sourceforge.net

And don't worry if you don't speak Spanish. Nor do I :) :D
It is English-literate too :)

Richard in Australia
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

Pizzasgood

#68 Post by Pizzasgood »

Did you do a full hd install? In that case, you don't have a pup_save.2fs file. There were issues with using SFS files on a full hd install; I'm not sure if they've been resolved.

Otherwise, with Live CD and Frugal HD installs, there should be a pup_save.2fs file. The partition it's on will be mounted at /initrd/mnt/dev_save, which is symlinked to /mnt/home.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

puppyfan12

#69 Post by puppyfan12 »

Previously known as Guest wrote: KompoZer has already been removed from pgs_215.sfs.
I saw that but I'm still a bit confused because the mirrors all have different versions now with different md5sums. As I understand it, the original pgs_215.sfs had an md5sum dc3eac60c7a0fc1f9b13a5ca59ac7423 and the updated pgs_215.sfs that had komposer removed has an md5sum of 54adc8fc3e90cc68f5d77d2ed5913602 with the same filename). However I just noticed the puppyisos.org mirror reports an md5sum of 81458b4a3dc64898708e0afd1b172302 with the same filename. The puptrix.org mirror doesn't have a md5sum file accompanying the .iso so I have no idea what one that is and since they're all using the same file name the only thing to identify their versions is the md5sum. Maybe we'd be better compressing them with gzip and giving them version numbers or something until the mirrors are better automated to synchronize changes?

Could someone clarify the md5sum of the most current version of pgs_215.sfs and what the one on puppyiso's is? (the 3rd variance in md5sum)
Joe D.

#70 Post by Previously known as Guest »

puppyfan12 wrote:
Previously known as Guest wrote: KompoZer has already been removed from pgs_215.sfs.
I saw that but I'm still a bit confused because the mirrors all have different versions now with different md5sums. As I understand it, the original pgs_215.sfs had an md5sum dc3eac60c7a0fc1f9b13a5ca59ac7423 and the updated pgs_215.sfs that had komposer removed has an md5sum of 54adc8fc3e90cc68f5d77d2ed5913602 with the same filename). However I just noticed the puppyisos.org mirror reports an md5sum of 81458b4a3dc64898708e0afd1b172302 with the same filename. The puptrix.org mirror doesn't have a md5sum file accompanying the .iso so I have no idea what one that is and since they're all using the same file name the only thing to identify their versions is the md5sum. Maybe we'd be better compressing them with gzip and giving them version numbers or something until the mirrors are better automated to synchronize changes?

Could someone clarify the md5sum of the most current version of pgs_215.sfs and what the one on puppyiso's is? (the 3rd variance in md5sum)
All pgs_215.sfs have been removed from pkagfiles, I agree, too many variations for now. I think the official version md5 is 81458b4a3dc64898708e0afd1b172302. I've offered other versions until now, things need to settle a bit.

puppyfan12

#71 Post by puppyfan12 »

Previously known as Guest wrote: All pgs_215.sfs have been removed from pkagfiles, I agree, too many variations for now. I think the official version md5 is 81458b4a3dc64898708e0afd1b172302. I've offered other versions until now, things need to settle a bit.
I don't mind that the mirrors are out of sync, we're greatful to have people donating the storage and bandwidth. I just am finding it difficult to keep the wiki updated with accurate information about the CE files & contents. I thought I had it right until I saw a 3rd md5sum & my first thought was someone had tampered with the files and inserted a trojan or something. (I had only read about 1 update to pgs_215.sfs on the forums, not 2). I'm not familiar with who owns each mirror and/or who has upload access either...but I've been trying to answer questions that I don't have the answers to, that's all. If someone could clarify for me it'd be appreciated.
Joe D.

#72 Post by Previously known as Guest »

puppyfan12 wrote:
Previously known as Guest wrote: All pgs_215.sfs have been removed from pkagfiles, I agree, too many variations for now. I think the official version md5 is 81458b4a3dc64898708e0afd1b172302. I've offered other versions until now, things need to settle a bit.
I don't mind that the mirrors are out of sync, we're greatful to have people donating the storage and bandwidth. I just am finding it difficult to keep the wiki updated with accurate information about the CE files & contents. I thought I had it right until I saw a 3rd md5sum & my first thought was someone had tampered with the files and inserted a trojan or something. (I had only read about 1 update to pgs_215.sfs on the forums, not 2). I'm not familiar with who owns each mirror and/or who has upload access either...but I've been trying to answer questions that I don't have the answers to, that's all. If someone could clarify for me it'd be appreciated.
I'll still mirror/host puppy stuff!

I agree completely, it is very confusing currently. I've tried to add my own updates, but until core devs agree, I won't post anymore. I wish things were more cohesive. :?

I have no clue what is mirrored now, I've tried to cancel & delete updates that are out of sync.

metre9dmt

Suggestion for the final Puppy Linux 2.15

#73 Post by metre9dmt »

Just reading the comments from several forums, newbies and semi-newbies like me are having some problems in using the *.sfs files ("expansion packs"). I humbly suggest that an installation script or something similar can be done in such a way the *.sfs files can be immediately recognize regardless of their locations. Better yet, a detection system during boot-up wherein *.sfs files shall be detected and automatically make the programs within the *.sfs file available within the menu.

Hoping for your kind consideration on this matter. Regards.

metre9dmt 8-)

willhunt

jumbo puppy

#74 Post by willhunt »

well I was having trouble with the sfs files so I made one sfs file called greatdane_215.sfs installed it to /mnt/homeran the fixmenus script and
everything seems to be fine "iit works for me"
iI put it all on 1 isofile I tried to add mupp_212 to it and got amarok and k3b working
shazam they did but still started causeing problems so I removed it:(
it would be nice if it had the option from muppy-007 to run the sfs file from disk or copy it to the hard drive
lovin it:)
Last edited by willhunt on Sat 31 Mar 2007, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

Springer

#75 Post by Springer »

How do the SFS files work for users who have installed Puppy to their hard disk? They don't seem to be recognized/used no matter where I put them, and I've tried every logical place.

I can't figure out any way at all to make that work for Joe Average User. (I haven't yet looked at how the SFS/unionfs stuff works, or what it is that's supposed to be magically automounting those SFS filesystems.

It looks like the real gate for 2.15CE release is getting all the SFS documentation as well as SFS support/management tools in place. This could be well worth slipping a "ship date" for, since it really needs to be done right and work pretty close to flawlessly or it could hurt rather than help Puppy's "it just works" reputation.

richard.a

#76 Post by richard.a »

Springer wrote:It looks like the real gate for 2.15CE release is getting all the SFS documentation as well as SFS support/management tools in place. This could be well worth slipping a "ship date" for, since it really needs to be done right and work pretty close to flawlessly or it could hurt rather than help Puppy's "it just works" reputation.
I totally agree. I haven't actually tried it with any of the .sfs files yet, anyway. Suppose I really should as we must be extremely close to the RC3 date.

tronkel

fltkc++_sfs

#77 Post by tronkel »

Is the fltkc++_215.sfs file missing a directory level or something? It's loading on my system but putting a lot of files straight into the top level / directory.
There is some sort of problem with this sfs file. It does indeed union to the '/' folder. Not sure why it does this.

That said, all you need to do is open a terminal in'/' and type 'make install'. FLTK and FLUID will then install properly. You can then get rid of or rename fltk++.sfs. Your '/' folder is then back to normal. Start Fluid from any terminal. To uninstall, load the sfs file back into Puppy, (needs a re-boot), then type 'make uninstall'.

A better way though, is simply to install the FLTK dotpet that I made. In Puppy 2.15CE you can install this dotpet by using MU's Puppy Software Installer, available from the setup menu in 2.15CE RC3. This will install legally into petGet and can also uninstall from there. Look in the Programming category.

You may also download the dotpet over the web from here:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... 7-i486.pet
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Henry

#78 Post by Henry »

Nice to see a really fine "product" coming out here. Just wanted to say that in addition to a comment about the new OpenOffice 2.2. I hope we plan to use that in some not too distant sfs. It seems _much_ improved.

(Well, OK I downloaded and used the windows version today because my daughter sent me a draft of her wedding program in .odt for printing.) I still use WordPerfect (via pdf) for all my book publishing except for one huge book, about 400 pages, letter size, 2 col, heavily illustrated, different page numbering formats, that some one had set in Word.

Just to see if one could get by without MS, for years every time a new "compatible" word processor version came out I would test it with this book. That is, I tried most new versions of OpenOffice, Abiword, Textmaker, WordPerfect, etc. Generally they wrestled a _long_ time trying to import it before locking up, or at least making a shocking mess of it. (No, not a memory problem, etc.) Until today - OpenOffice 2.2 still took a long time to import it, but it was absolutely a perfect copy, not the slightest reflow, etc. After saving the book in .odt, it opened reasonably quickly. They're finally getting it. Hope this isn't too out of place here.

Henry

WhoDo

#79 Post by WhoDo »

Henry wrote:Just to see if one could get by without MS, for years every time a new "compatible" word processor version came out I would test it with this book. That is, I tried most new versions of OpenOffice, Abiword, Textmaker, WordPerfect, etc. Generally they wrestled a _long_ time trying to import it before locking up, or at least making a shocking mess of it. (No, not a memory problem, etc.) Until today - OpenOffice 2.2 still took a long time to import it, but it was absolutely a perfect copy, not the slightest reflow, etc. After saving the book in .odt, it opened reasonably quickly. They're finally getting it. Hope this isn't too out of place here
Open Office v2.10 is available now as a sfs plug-in. It would be worthwhile running your test on that, since there is only a minor version update between that and the just-released v2.2

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Scoticus

Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

#80 Post by Scoticus »

Just like the thing I had just taken GuestToo's instruction and moved all my files over to Open Office. 5 mins later you post the news of a new sfs

Can I safely assume that the sfs will be this new 2.10 version in the final edition of CE. If this is the case I will give up for the moment and wait patiently or otherwise.

Ian