Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

News, happenings
richard.a

Re: A Few Bugs

#46 Post by richard.a »

WhoDo wrote:
ralphv wrote:When I switch to jwm, the menu has no option to switch back to icewm, I have to type restartwm icewm in a command window. Also, in jwm, Gaim is not in the menu, so it has to be typed in from the command line.
Yep. That's a long-standing JWM issue. I'll have a look and see if I can organise a workaround using XDG menus.
I discuss a work round on this topic at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 395#106395

Richard in Adelaide
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#47 Post by Lobster »

WhoDo wrote: Nathan provided me with a software list for pgs_215.sfs which I meant to post along with the file. Here is the full list for those who are interested:

Code: Select all

ArtOfIllusion-241
blender-2.43
cairomm-0.6.0
crystalize (gimp plug-in)
dcraw-8.66
dia-0.95-1
gc-6.8
gimp-2.2.13
glibmm-2.8
gphoto2-2.3.1
greycstoration (gimp plug-in)
gtkam-0.1.41
gtkmm-2.8.1
inkscape-0.45
jp2 (gimp plug-in)
kompozer-0.77
libcroco-0.6.1
libgphoto2-2.3.1
librsvg-2.8.1
libsigc++-2.0.17
openexr-1.4.0
openjpeg-1.0
pandora-0.7.1 (gimp plug-in)
plasma2-2.11 (gimp plug-in)
povray-3.6.1
pygtk-2.8.6
python-2.4.4
save-for-web-2.2.0 (gimp plug-in)
scribus-1.3.3.8
separate-0.3 (gimp plug-in)
ufraw-0.11
yafray-0.0.9 
I downloaded the .sfs to my home directory
opened a console window

sh-3.00# scribus
scribus: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That library is a petget . . .

sh-3.00# gtkam
gtkam: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

all these top proggies working OK

sh-3.00# inkscape
sh-3.00# kompozer
sh-3.00# gimp
sh-3.00# dia
sh-3.00# blender

That is just wonderful :) Very exciting.

Do we have a software list for the web .sfs?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#48 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:Do we have a software list for the web .sfs?
I had one somewhere, but can't put my hands on it at the moment. Pizzasgood will have the complete list, but I can tell you that the current version includes:

Firefox 2.0.0.3
Thunderbird 1.5.10(?)
Java Runtime (check version)
Flash 9
Nvu (to be replaced by Kompozer)
Azureus
Bluefish
There may be others but that's the majority of the contents.

Cheers
Last edited by WhoDo on Mon 26 Mar 2007, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#49 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Warren :)

Java Runtime is 1.5.0_11

Do not forget to turn it on (for those trying). It is under preferences / advanced in Seamonkey

then refresh and test here
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

richard.a

#50 Post by richard.a »

Just a quick note before going to bed.

I've run RC2 for a while, trying this and that, and it seems nicely stable.

Confirming that gaim2 is definitely the executable for the IM client, and that performs flawlessly.

On doing an "upgrade" on the save file where I worked on the JWM switching, my scripting worked well.
I notice the righthand end of the taskbar on JWM uses the ice icons and layout, open and close arrows, etc.
Nice touch that :)

It takes significantly longer for the JWM switch to take effect, compared with RC1.
The other direction seems about the same, and here we drop the X server after all.

Laterz all

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

#51 Post by Flash »

WhoDo wrote:...If you included the pgs_215.sfs, then you should be able to type gimp in a console and have it run. That will show it is there and mounted. We're still trying to work out why the menu system updates on Pizzasgood's machine but not on mine, or yours evidently.
Neither Firefox nor Gimp was in the Menu, but they both opened from the console.
WhoDo wrote:...Go to a console and type fixmenus, then restart Icewm to see if the menu is updated with either an Office menu or the addition of graphics programs to the graphics menu.
"fixmenu" fixed the menu. I shut down, saving to the DVD, rebooted, and both Firefox and Gimp are on the menu. I haven't had time to play around with anything very much. What should happen when I click gtkam (in the Graphic menu)? Nothing happens now.
WhoDo wrote:Shortcuts for the programs in the sfs files are in /usr/local/bin and should be able to be dragged to the desktop and run from there until we get the menu's behaving nicely.
I'll try that next, when I get time.

The first time I opened Gimp, it was from the console. Everything seemed to go all right, but left this residue in the console:

sh-3.00# gimp
Fontconfig warning: line 241: saw bool, expected void
Fontconfig warning: line 253: saw bool, expected void
env: python: No such file or directory

(gimp:2972): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: wire_read(): error

Pizzasgood

#52 Post by Pizzasgood »

web_215.sfs has Flash 9, Java 1.5.0_11, Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird, KompoZer, Bluefish, TightVNC Server, and Azureus.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Scoticus

#53 Post by Scoticus »

I am totally frustrated, yesterday I started at the first post on this thread and attempted to download only to have an error at arround the 68 - 70 MB mark. I tried every link posted and each time the same error came up again and again. The only link that I did not have the patience to try was MiHD.net as although I am on broadband it was going to take over an hour to load.

All attempts were made on 2.14. I have a beta copy of 2.15 Office so nothing ventured I tried again and failed at the first hurdle.

Any suggestions what I may try next ?

Ian

richard.a

#54 Post by richard.a »

Scoticus wrote:Any suggestions what I may try next ?
Ian
You could try my mirror at http://micro-hard.homelinux.net/puppy/d ... andard.iso

I'm on an adsl2+ connection, so my uplink speed is a bit under 1MB/s and my ISP does not include my uploads as downloads when calculating my bandwidth. Anyway I have only 2 days of this month left :D :)

The checksum is in the same directory and it is also the same as that on the official sites.

I have burned from a copy of that ISO and checksum was fine.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard in Adelaide
Capital of South Australia.

puppyfan12

#55 Post by puppyfan12 »

Pizzasgood wrote:web_215.sfs has Flash 9, Java 1.5.0_11, Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird, KompoZer, Bluefish, TightVNC Server, and Azureus.
It appears KompoZer is redundant as it's included in both web_215.sfs and pgs_215.sfs. See Release Details for the current applications list. Perhaps it should be removed from the pgs_215.sfs?
Scoticus wrote:Any suggestions what I may try next ?
Download one of the following download managers

Many of these (aria, for example) supports download resume and automatic MD5 and CRC checking.
Joe D.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#56 Post by Lobster »

Scoticus wrote:attempted to download
Ian use Menu / internet / Xwget in 2.14

It is more reliable as a downloader ;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Scoticus

#57 Post by Scoticus »

I am pleased to say that I was able to at long last download the RC2 and OO and Web .sfs files.

In a fit of frustration I totally gave up on Puppy and went back to XP only to find that the expletive deleted thing downloaded immediately. I had hoped that I could have kept everything in house but I think that I have got things right so far.

Tronkel advised "Copy your sfs file to the same folder that your pup_save file is in - usually /mnt/home and to reboot"

Is that all there is to it as I can not seem to find anything showing that either Opera or Open Office are available to me.

Looking at the installer there appears to be a shortage of pet packages and nothing is listed for Opera or OOo. How do I find them ?

WhoDo is advised that if the gem game is missing in the final offering that he should take to the hills. She who must be obeyed has got hooked on it and it is more than my life is worth if it is not there. Failure will have her heading in your direction and that will not be a pretty sight.

Things keep on looking better and better, keep up the good work everyone.

Ian

WhoDo

#58 Post by WhoDo »

Scoticus wrote:Is that all there is to it as I can not seem to find anything showing that either Opera or Open Office are available to me.
Run fixmenus from a console and restart your window manager. That should have the applications appearing in your menu.
Scoticus wrote:WhoDo is advised that if the gem game is missing in the final offering that he should take to the hills. She who must be obeyed has got hooked on it and it is more than my life is worth if it is not there. Failure will have her heading in your direction and that will not be a pretty sight.
Ah, so SHE's the one? We knew someone was using it, but were not quite sure who that one person was! :P

The gem game is available as a download from PETget (install on your desktop) or from the PSI repositories. I promise it will download a whole lot quicker than me restoring it to the Final release. :)

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

puppyfan12

#59 Post by puppyfan12 »

Lobster wrote:
Ian use Menu / internet / Xwget in 2.14

It is more reliable as a downloader ;)
Wow Lobster, I had no idea wget was so powerful. Definitely give it a try for download resuming since it's already included. Here's an excellent article on it's use.

Specifically this section will be useful to you (I removed the long url that messes the forum up):
Gina Trapani wrote:Resume large file downloads on a flaky connection

Say you're piggybacking the neighbor's wifi and every time someone microwaves popcorn you lose the connection, and your video download (naughty you!) keeps crapping out halfway through. Direct Wget to resume partial downloads for big files on intermittent connections.

To set Wget to resume an interrupted download of this 16MB "Mavericks Surf Highlights 2006: Wipeouts" short from Google Video, use:
wget -c --output-document=mavericks.avi "http://vp.video.google.com/videodownload?version="

(Apologies for the humungous, non-wrapping URL.)

The -c ("continue") option sets Wget to resume a partial download if the transfer is interrupted. You'll also notice the URL is in quotes, necessary for any address with &'s in it. Also, since that URL is so long, you can specify the name of the output file explicitly - in this case, mavericks.avi.
Joe D.

Scoticus

#60 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks WhoDo

Fixmenus worked a treat and Open Office now available.

I went back to the Welcome to Puppy RC1 page and clicked on Opera browser where it displayed Opera 9.1 on Puppy but on further investigation I was informed the page was not available. Looks like the link to the pet is broken.

Looked for the gem game but similarly could not find the item.

Can you please direct me to the promised land ?

Thanking you in anticipation

Ian

Previously known as Guest

#61 Post by Previously known as Guest »

puppyfan12 wrote: It appears KompoZer is redundant as it's included in both web_215.sfs and pgs_215.sfs. See Release Details for the current applications list. Perhaps it should be removed from the pgs_215.sfs?
KompoZer has already been removed from pgs_215.sfs.

metre9dmt

Using the *.sfs files

#62 Post by metre9dmt »

I downloaded all the files. I made a booting CD for the Puppy Linux 2.15 RC2 while the *.sfs files where place the user directory in the hard drive. When I booted PL, I cannot access the contents of the *.sfs files.

Can you please tell how to have access to the said *.sfs files?

Regards.

Metre9dmt 8-)

Pizzasgood

#63 Post by Pizzasgood »

They don't load unless you load a save-file, so if you test it before one's created, or boot with the pfix=ram option, they won't work.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

richard.a

#64 Post by richard.a »

Pizzasgood wrote:They don't load unless you load a save-file, so if you test it before one's created, or boot with the pfix=ram option, they won't work.
Hmmm that's a trap for the unwary, mate.

Thanks for mentioning that :)

Richard

Fishy

Lost Pup_Save

#65 Post by Fishy »

Total idiot here! My pup_save has gone to Never Land and I cannot for the life of me find it. I have used all the file find tools with no results. I know it is in /dev/hda6 because I always keep Puppy there. Pretty sure it hasn't slipped the leash. :oops:

hda1- windows xp
hda2 - / debian reisors
hda3 - /home reisors fs
hda5 - swap
hda6 - Puppy 2.15
hda7 - ext2 blank

Bye the way it is a vanilla install with only Streamtuner downloaded. Bye the way, It does't work in 215 but did in 214.