How to change icon sizes on desktop?

Using applications, configuring, problems
DaveDX

How to change icon sizes on desktop?

#1 Post by DaveDX »

How do I change the icon size on the desktop? When I go into Rox and pick a smaller icon, it still displays the same size with less resolution. I've tried all the settings in Rox.

Dave

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

Open each individual icon in mtPaint and rescale the icon to 24x24. I suggest "saving as" to an appropriate name, so as to have both the original icon and the new half-size icon.

Then go to your desktop, right click on the original icon, select "set icon" and enter the new icon name.

Restart JWM (or maybe X - I don't remember which) and you'll be all set!

You can check out my half-sized icons here: http://alienjeff.gotdns.com/screenie10.png
(I still have to resize the "lock" and "trash" icons ...)
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

DaveDX

#3 Post by DaveDX »

I'm not in front of my Linux box right now so I can't try that (again). Something else is going on. The icons are getting stretched to the same size no matter what I do. I should note that this is in PizzaPup 3.0.1 with icewm.

Dave

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Dave,

I think you can solve some problems in ROX options (preferences). Have you done anything with this yet?

Bruce

DaveDX

#5 Post by DaveDX »

OK - I think I have the problem solved. In ROX, under Options>Thumbnails>Filer Windows, if Show image thumbnails is set, Icon displayed in the Pinboard is auto scaled. If it's not set, the icon will display in it's original size. I consider that a little odd because I don't consider the display of an icon in the pinboard a thumbnail situation. I think the behavior is sticky. If I unset the Show image thumbnails, change an icon and then reset the Show image thumbnails, the icon stays in its original resolution. I would tried this sooner but the nomenclature led me to believe this switch was only for Filer windows.

BTW - I was finally able to wrestle my laptop back from my son today. "Hey dad, this Linux stuff is FAST!".

Dave

Youth is wasted on the young

DaveDX

#6 Post by DaveDX »

If show image thumbnails is set, and an icon is dragged and dropped, it will autoscale until ROX is restarted. A little strange but solved. I don't recall this behavior on previous Puppies. This being PizzaPup 3.0.1.

Dave

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

It might be from using Rox 2.5 rather than 1.2 like Puppy 2.12 and earlier used.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]