Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 15:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking
Using a router as a splitter? How to.
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Canadianpride

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2007, 19:11    Post_subject:  Using a router as a splitter? How to.  

Hi.....
I have an ethernet cord running down to my room from my dad's d-link router upstairs. Now I have several computers that I would love to be able to hook up at the same time to the internet. I have a 5 port G-net router down here. I took the ethernet cord connected to the d-link router and plugged it into the Uplink port. I then procceded to plug in the other computers. I quickly realized that only the computer that is plugged in closest to the uplink is being given an isp from my D-links DCHP. So only one computer can get online at a time. Sorry if that's kind of hard to understand. does anyone have any ideas on how I could get all of my computers to get a connection. Thanks!!

Matthew.
bobn9lvu

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2007, 19:55    Post_subject: Re: Using a router as a splitter? How to.  

Canadianpride wrote:
Hi.....
I have an ethernet cord running down to my room from my dad's d-link router upstairs. Now I have several computers that I would love to be able to hook up at the same time to the internet. I have a 5 port G-net router down here. I took the ethernet cord connected to the d-link router and plugged it into the Uplink port. I then procceded to plug in the other computers. I quickly realized that only the computer that is plugged in closest to the uplink is being given an isp from my D-links DCHP. So only one computer can get online at a time. Sorry if that's kind of hard to understand. does anyone have any ideas on how I could get all of my computers to get a connection. Thanks!!

Matthew.

You need to turn on dhcp for wan side of your G-net router.
Have NAT turned on, and pick a different subnet than is on your dad's dlink for your lan side of the G-net.
Use dhcp on all the computers you are running on the lan side of your G-net..
That way you all can share the single net connection., AND, you will then have a more secure subnet,
as there are 2 NAT levels for a hacker to get through... Wink

Bob
setecio

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2007, 18:15    Post_subject:  

Yes, you want to turn your G-net router into a switch by :

a) Turn off dchp on the G-net router and
b) then plug the ethernet (coming from the d-link) into one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port, and use the remaining lan ports for the other computers.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2007, 01:34    Post_subject:  

Hub?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2007, 16:28    Post_subject:  

Proof that there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Laughing
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking
Jump to: