Grafpup-2.xx fourth (and final) alpha

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Leon

#46 Post by Leon »

plinej wrote:Nathan, is there a devx file for this latest snapshot? I'm very happy with it after I've remastered it for my needs and would love to be able to compile some things now.
Me too.

Nathan F

#47 Post by Nathan F »

I'll have to put it together still, so basically the answer is not yet. It is planned though.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#48 Post by Nathan F »

Well the more I thought of it, the more I decided I want to encourage others to help with Grafpup development. So I threw something together and it's uploading now. No gaurantee it will work 100% correctly, but if problems are found I'll fix them.

BTW, I've included cvs and subversion clients in mine. It's been annoying the heck out of me since Barry took cvs out of the Puppy dev module.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Leon

#49 Post by Leon »

Nathan F wrote:Well the more I thought of it, the more I decided I want to encourage others to help with Grafpup development. So I threw something together and it's uploading now. No gaurantee it will work 100% correctly, but if problems are found I'll fix them.
Link, please.

What is the password for anonymous@grafpup.com?

Nathan F

#50 Post by Nathan F »

The new dev module is on the new site, http://grafpup.org/, in the modules subdirectory. Just about anything worth having (grafpup related of course) should be over there soon, if it isn't already.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Leon

#51 Post by Leon »

Nathan F wrote:The new dev module is on the new site, http://grafpup.org/, in the modules subdirectory. Just about anything worth having (grafpup related of course) should be over there soon, if it isn't already.
I like the "Less is More" new look.
Thank you.

Nathan F

#52 Post by Nathan F »

I like the "Less is More" new look.
That's just a little php indexer script I dropped in place because Servage's Apache configuration won't send a directory index, but rather returns an error page. I'll probably make it permanent for the download areas, but perhaps dress it up slightly with some icons for directories and files, and maybe a Grafpup logo at the top.

The main site will probably be cms based, and I honestly don't know what it will look like at this point because someone else is doing it for me as a favor.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#53 Post by plinej »

Thanks, got it downloaded. I'll test it out tonight. As far as user contributed packages what format do you want them in? .tar.gz? .pet? I was trying to figure out how your menu icons work. The package should install the icon to /usr/share/pixmaps and then it somehow gets copied to /tmp/icons to be read by the menu right?

Nathan F

#54 Post by Nathan F »

Right now everything is still in .tar.gz format, basically an unleashed package. You're correct about the icons. I chose /usr/share/pixmaps because a lot of things actually look in there, for instance ROX-Filer will show .desktop files as an icon if the one they specify is in /usr/share/pixmaps, but of course there are other examples also. I plan to move everything to PET format eventually but am not in a big hurry right now. I have also considered using other compression schemes that tar.gz, such as tbz or tlz (lzma), but with either of these the bandwidth savings don't seem to justify the extra time for decompression.

The copy takes place in the script cache-icons and is neccessary because lxpanel does not have an icon search path, although when I was looking over the source I thought there might be a fairly simple way to add one. The script scans /usr/share/pixmaps /usr/share/mini-icons and /opt/kde/icons if it is present. I'm sure the code could be improved. One day I hope to eliminate it completely.

Also, you can leave your icons in the top level of the package if you like, and they will go into one of the "official" directories anyway.

One more thing which is vital. Because of how the system works you must specify just an icon name in the .desktop file. If you specify a full path it will break the system and no icon will show for that entry.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#55 Post by Nathan F »

I've upgraded all of Jason's media apps to the latest versions and fixed the Opera fonts. I'm going to look into pmount in a bit. I'll probably start with the latest version you guys have posted here and then see if I can't fix the missing mountpoint issue. I also fixed a couple of the things Jason mentioned with the package system, in dotpuprox.sh and dotpetrox.sh. I intend to do a bit of work to the ROX-Filer package also, improving file associations.

Another project I want to push forward is the switch from Barry's hard-coded mime system to one that is user configurable. This is started already in the last couple alphas if you guys want to have a look sometime. I've changed defaultbrowser and defaultemail over, and the launchers for both in /usr/local/apps/Network contain some configuration tools for each. Once a few more have been done like this I want to create a control panel to manage the lot, with an entry in the settings menu "Change program defaults". This should be fairly straightforward for most defaults, but for the terminal I have a little extra in mind, because I want the user to be able to configure not just the terminal type but if they are using rxvt then I want them to be able to configure the colors and font size also. More than likely by editing .Xdefaults and .Xresources.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#56 Post by Nathan F »

Guys, try this for me and see if it everything works properly. I took the latest pmount Jason posted here and modified it slightly, to call an external script as root which will create the missing mountpoints. The tarball also contains the (really simple) script and a new /etc/sudoers file.

Nathan
Last edited by Nathan F on Tue 27 Mar 2007, 01:23, edited 3 times in total.
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#57 Post by plinej »

I'll try it, but where's it at?

Nathan F

#58 Post by Nathan F »

Forgot to attach it, sorry. It's there now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#59 Post by plinej »

That's the same pmount I posted before and no extra files.

plinej

#60 Post by plinej »

I was also going to mention that you need to be root to use growisofs as well as cdrecord so I just modified my .desktop files for tkdvd and graburn to run gksu before the executable for now.

Nathan F

#61 Post by Nathan F »

Yeah, I need to get burning permissions straightened out soon. This issue will probably also manifest with cdrdao.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#62 Post by plinej »

Did you see my other post? The package you posted seems to be just the same as the third pmount I posted with no added files.

Nathan F

#63 Post by Nathan F »

You're right, I uploaded the wrong file. Third times a charm?

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

New pmount

#64 Post by Nathan F »

I found a couple errors in the code I wrote, some variables were mistyped. I fixed it but there is another problem now. None of my usb drives are showing up unless I run it as root. What's worse is that I'm getting zero feedback in the console about it. I checked around for some obvious things and I found if I run probepart as nonroot it returns "libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdf", which I do remember encountering once before. But then I just cheked permissions on the device files themselves and it turns out that /dev/sda* and /dev/sdb* were world readable, but sdc* through sdf* were not. Apparently I hadn't tested pmount thoroughly on this computer anyway.

So basically pmount is working again, and I'll upload the fixes in a few minutes time.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#65 Post by Nathan F »

OK, the fix is uploaded a few posts back now. It's been a productive day, but I'm going to call it quits now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...