Grafpup-2.xx fourth (and final) alpha

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
SimonW

#301 Post by SimonW »

Yep, each time I killed X, it came back at a different resolution!

Not sure if that's intended, but it eventually arrived at the correct res. I'm sure the Grafpup script is retrying X, but I don't know why it changes res though. If someone else could repeat that, it would confirm something.

I usually have to log in (as root) twice to get logged in.

Also, the Samba in the repo is a Samba Client only. I've just built the current release of Samba Server from their website with no issues (a simple ./configure ; make ; make install ).

Nathan F

#302 Post by Nathan F »

When life settles down I'll consider making a full Samba package. Things went a bit screwy this week.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

SimonW

#303 Post by SimonW »

No problems. Life comes first!

SimonW

#304 Post by SimonW »

Just adding points here as I find them. Whenever you get to them, it's ok.

When I log in via ssh, I get an attempt to start Slim.... and then get logged out. This only happens when no-one is logged in at the actual machine - it is sitting at the login screen. This must be down to the fact that X is not running.

<logging in from a root account on another machine on local network>
root@SNAIL:~# ssh 192.168.1.88
Password: xxxxxx
Caching icons in /usr/share/pixmaps
This script will run X windows for you...
Starting X login manager, specs in /etc/X11/xorg.conf...
slim: Another instance of the program is already running with PID 2575
Exited from X. Type "xwin [openbox-session|jwm]" to restart X ([ ] mean optional).
To restart the login manager (Xorg only) type "xlogin"
(To shutdown PC type "poweroff", to reboot PC type "reboot")
If X failed to start, type "xorgwizard" to setup X
root@SNAIL:~#

When someone is logged in at the machine itself, you can ssh in perfectly.

Also, I've been having a bit of trouble logging in recently - needing username & pw twice, etc. Also whenever I remaster the system, either by making an iso, or just a big sfs file, the remastered copy won't let me log in at all. Problems with the same kind of thing as above.

I've probably messed something up and I'm just seeing it whatever I do. I have added some lines to rc.local and rc.shutdown, I will have to find the bad ones.

SimonW

#305 Post by SimonW »

Bit of an update on this one:
Sat May 05, 2007 6:48 pm Post subject:

In case you haven't already done it, I've attached a version of rc.shutdown in which all occurences of snapmergegrafpup have been changed to snapmergepuppy.
The good news is, now on the compact flash hda system, a static ip setup is preserved over a reboot! I did see a couple of chmod usage errors fly past on shutdown which I didn't get a chance to note.
I added a debug echo, and I can see that the chown usage errors relate to lines somewhat like this:

chown /mnt/graf_r(something)/.wh..wh..plink

... issued by snapmergepuppy on shutdown. I don't pretend to understand the .wh (whiteout) files, have read a few threads on here. But, I can see that - chown needs a username.

When using the new rc.shutdown I posted, and the edited savepuppyd (attached as .gz) a short test shows I don't lose files on restart. I'm going to check this out some more.

Barry in conjunction with andrei has very recently (May 12th) included a new snapmergepuppy-aufs script in Pup 2.16. Could this be of use in Grafpup?
Attachments
savepuppyd.gz
Changed PUPMODE to GRAFMODE
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 704 times

Nathan F

#306 Post by Nathan F »

You can bet I'll be incorporating as many of these improvements as possible. One thing I do not intend to do, however, is to go through with using BOTH unionfs and aufs. Grafpup will continue to use just aufs and I will at some point try to mess with the "messy shutdown" problems Barry mentions on his blog.

The file persistence problems shouldn't be occurring any more now either.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#307 Post by GuestToo »

i occasionally ran a program from a script that started by doing a file system check of the unmounted pup_save.3fs file. If the pup_save file was not unmounted cleanly, the file system check would fail and the script would immediately stop with an error message, and the program would not run

i ran this script occasionally while i was using Puppy 214 ... i do not remember having any problems running the script, i think i would have noticed problems immediately

with Puppy 216, i did notice problems when i ran the script ... as far as i know, Puppy 216 is the first version of Puppy that i could not get to unmount cleanly at shutdown

Barry went back to unionfs, in case that was the cause of the problem, but unionfs does not seem to be the problem ... Puppy 216 final still does not unmount cleanly

i don't know why Puppy 216 won't unmount the pup_save file and the save device properly for a frugal install, but aufs does not seem to be the cause of the problem

the script:

#!/bin/sh

if ! e2fsck -vf /mnt/home/pup_save.3fs
then
echo
echo 'frag: ERROR 1'
echo
exit 1
fi

etc etc etc

SimonW

#308 Post by SimonW »

Just to let everybody know, a new Grafpup forum is open on Linuxquestions.org and that seems to be the place where support questions for the new Grafpup 2.0rc1 are going on.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... y.php?f=77

"Toodle pip" and see you all over there.

Browny

Reg the boot screen on grafpup

#309 Post by Browny »

NathanF

i have written the grafpup2.00 iso into CD and using the puppyinstaller script i have installed the grafpup into my flash drive and booted the flash drive. It doesn't shows the splash screen which happens while booting from CD(Grafpup with paw image). Why its not able to show the splash screen. which package has this splash screen?

Browny.

MU

#310 Post by MU »

Grafpup 2 is the distro on the CD of german magazine Linux User:
http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2007/0 ... index.html

It has 3 pages in the magazine, so a "main article".
It is not shown on the mainpage of the website, so I think it was added at last moment:
http://linuxuser.de/

Short summary:
Great for artists, more modern than Puppy (newer libs, cinelerra, Gimp 2.3 and so on), they praise the speed.
But they had problems with the Grafpup-installer to install programs. It just worked in "list mode".
Now installation worked, but the programs did not show up in the menu.
Also their USB-stick was not listed in the universal installer, so they could not install grafpup on it.
They wish, these tools were as stable as in Puppy.

They wish these problem get quickly solved, as this would make grafpup a fantastic distro.

Despite these certainly fixable issues: congratulations!
This article steals the also included Fedora 7 (DVD version) the show in this magazine :)

Mark

jcagle

#311 Post by jcagle »

According to the Babelfish German to English translation, in Germany, you do not store data on the disk...

"User data store you, as of other live-systemen used, on the non removable disk or on a USB stick."

haha, the user data is going to store me on a disk...that's scary...I think I'm too big to fit on it.