Grafpup-2.xx fourth (and final) alpha

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gamfa

#241 Post by gamfa »

Beta can't find my Sierra 875 AirCard mounted in a pcmcia>pci adapter card.
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

Dougal

#242 Post by Dougal »

I see Jason hasn't posted the my recent re-write of probedisk, so here it is.
Attachments
probedisk3.gz
(568 Bytes) Downloaded 839 times
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

plinej

#243 Post by plinej »

Sorry, figured you already sent it off to Nathan. Your latest probepart2 & probedisk3 work very well for me and I'm amazed at how simple your probedisk3 script is. Very nice work indeed.

SimonW

#244 Post by SimonW »

Hi,

A problem I posted about way back is still with us in the 20070426 iso, as follows:

I made a CF card with correctly booting Grafpup system. On shutdown I instructed it to 'save to partition' (that being hda).
On reboot the system no longer boots, the error information being:

Mounting none on graf_new failed: Invalid argument
<Something about graf_ro2 being overlapped>
Last few lines of ....:
DEV1PUP=yes
PUPSAVE=''
System then goes into infinite loop in atkbd.c

The old workaround was to use a save-file, I'll test that this still works now.
Simon.

SimonW

#245 Post by SimonW »

Dougal,

Just tried the probedisk3 script on both my machines.

Your new script detects the multi-slot usb card reader as /dev/sda...sdd (which is great)
And on the other, VIA Sata machine, I get my Sata drive as /dev/sda and the CF IDE adaptor as /dev/hda. All correct!

And probepart2 worked ok for me first time round.

I too looked at the script, nice and elegant.

msumner

#246 Post by msumner »

Is there a package I can use to view/print a .dwg file? I have just been emailed one and I found something on the irfanview site to download for windoze.
Mike

Nathan F

#247 Post by Nathan F »

Well I went looking and there are actually very few options for viewing .dwg files in Linux. There is one that looks promising called Linux Drawing Viewer, which I saw on sourceforge. I might try and compile it tonight. The other option would be to install Wine and try a few of the freeware autocad viewers that are out there for Windows.

I'd like you to try something else too, Mike, to get Kino installed. Open gpkgtool and press the update button, which should grab the latest package list off the server and merge in the changes I've made since beta was released. You should be able to install packages normally then rather than having to download them with a browser.

What you did wrong with the new Kino package was that you just decompressed it in /root rather than installing it. The gunzip command would not have even exploded the package into a directory, so you should have a file "kino-1.0.tar" sitting around in /root unless you already deleted it.

So guys, in general, is the new probedisk ready for the iso? I'd love to see this resolved.

gamfa - the driver for that card has not been compiled yet, in fact it is one I haven't run across at all before. Until very recently it seems there was no support whatsoever for it under Linux. I did a search and did find a driver relased by the company, in source form, so I'll put it on my todo list. However, be prepared for a tough time getting it set up.

Thanks everybody,
Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

intuxik8ed

#248 Post by intuxik8ed »

Now this is my kind of puppy. Any Lightwave/Maya/XSI users here?

msumner

#249 Post by msumner »

Thanks Nathan, Linux drawing viewer sounds good! Can't wait to try it.

Kino starts ok now but I can't capture with firewire. Got this in the terminal:

The program 'kino' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc'.
(Details: serial 5180 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
sh-3.00#

Mike

SimonW

#250 Post by SimonW »

All,

I've been trying to get all 3 of my CF cards to be bootable in my VIA 'server' machine (the one with Sata as described above in this thread). I have the following brands: Kingston, SanDisk, and PQI.

I'm still having problems doing this using the Puppy Installer, and I'm still not much closer to a solution. I have not had repeatable success formatting CF cards in FAT under Grafpup, I am unconvinced that mkdosfs actually works. So my reference formatting system is my Ixus camera.

The symptoms are usually like this:

When using a card formatted like this, the orange window part of the installer process notes the following:

Mount: Mounting /dev/... on /mnt/data failed: Invalid argument
/mnt/data is device /dev/root
extlinux: cannot open device /dev/root

- and the installer continues, copying files into -presumably- /dev/null and then stops. It takes a lot less time than usual - obviously /dev/null is faster than a CF card!

I am beginning to think that there is a subtlety about the Superfloppy mode, ie. referring to the card as /dev/sdc rather than /dev/sdc1, which is confusing either the Puppy Installer script.

Another issue:

I have also noticed that Pmount often describes CF cards as 'ext3' when in fact they are FAT16 (should say 'vfat' I guess). Also when they have no partition table, they seem to still be reported as ext3. Is there some decision-making in Pmount which 'falls through' to ext3 if the format cannot be determined?

Dougal

#251 Post by Dougal »

SimonW wrote:I have also noticed that Pmount often describes CF cards as 'ext3' when in fact they are FAT16 (should say 'vfat' I guess). Also when they have no partition table, they seem to still be reported as ext3. Is there some decision-making in Pmount which 'falls through' to ext3 if the format cannot be determined?
This was mentioned in the past, but I don't remember what happened with it...

Note that there's a newer version of the installer, with a few fixes, so it might be best that Nathan modify it and post it here.

Concerning the mounting problem: you posted

Code: Select all

Mounting /dev/... on /mnt/data failed:
Is that the exact quote? I mean, was there really no device where the "..." is?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

SimonW

#252 Post by SimonW »

Mounting /dev/... on /mnt/data failed:
No, it didn't say that, it's just that my notes were unintelligible!

I think it said /dev/sdc but since I couldn't read it, I didn't want to post it. sdc is the correct address for the CF card that I was using.

I'd like to try that updated installer, as you might imagine.... hope it can be posted.

Cheers,
Simon.

plinej

#253 Post by plinej »

Nathan, I updated pawdioconverter to 0.8 which fixes a bug and adds some enhancements.

I'll post the grafpup version here.
Attachments
pawdioconverter-0.8.tar.gz
(8.59 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Last edited by plinej on Thu 03 May 2007, 15:37, edited 3 times in total.

msumner

BLENDER

#254 Post by msumner »

Hi Nathan, just tried blender, used gpkgtool to download/install. Gets this error run from terminal:
sh-3.00# blender
/usr/local/apps/Graphics/Blender/blender: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sh-3.00#

Mike

Nathan F

#255 Post by Nathan F »

It's missing OpenGL. I'll add that dependency to the entry in packages.txt, but for now install the package "xorg_OPENGL" and it should run.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

SimonW

#256 Post by SimonW »

I have had some success with bootable CF card creation so I'm writing the notes up here for others to follow. I'm now using the 2.0 beta iso.

As I have mentioned above, I had been trying to use the Superfloppy mode as I thought I had initial success with that on my hardware. With the recent isos I didn't have success with that mode (probably not due to anything in the iso itself, but human error.....).
I went back to using the standard partition-based arrangement (ie. not Superfloppy)and that works.

Below follows a set of instructions to make a FAT16 based bootable CF card:

* Begin with a CF card formatted with one FAT16 partition (I used my digital camera to format the card).
* Start the Puppy Installer.
* Select 'CF card which will be later moved to IDE adapter'
* Select the device that the card is present at (mine is sdc). Note that the 2.0 beta iso 'probedisk' still has an issue, it reports multiple devices as /dev/sd2. I recommend probedisk3 as posted above.
* The dialog regarding normal or Superfloppy mode now comes up. Select the Second button down (ie. to partition the card). The top button (Superfloppy) now does not work for me at all, even though 'I believe' it used to.
* Select '_vfat'. Again, I have tried the ext3 button but with no success.
* A dialog box now appears with "You have chosen to install Grafpup to /dev/sdc1 which has a vfat format and the size is M. Files will be written to /dev/sdc1 and Syslinux will be used to make it bootable." Note there is no free disk space reported, just 'M'.
* Press OK and tell Grafpup where the files are (I'm normally on CD).
* Press Enter as required in the orange window.

This should result in a bootable CF card (vfat mode). I guess the printing of just 'M' where a free space figure should be, needs attention.

In the past I think I had success with an ext3 format card, but I don't remember what I did! I was also using a 200703xx vintage iso.

msumner

#257 Post by msumner »

Hi Guys, I was thinking of trying to boot from a new 2gh SD card.
( only about £8 from Dabs!)
I would like to use the built in card reader on my dell laptop, which is more convenient as I would not have to have an adapter plugged in. Can I do that or do I have to use an ide adapter? What is the procedure to install the latest probedisk3, and is it likely to pick up the cardreader?

Nathan, re. blender,I installed the xorg_opengl package:
sh-3.00# blender
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Checking for installed Python... No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
ERROR: Unable to open Blender window

EDIT wondered if you had seen this:
http://www.pythoncad.org/
Cheers, Mike

SimonW

#258 Post by SimonW »

Hi Mike,
I was thinking of trying to boot from a new 2gh SD card.
I don't know if your bios will support booting from card slots, so check that first. If the bios only supports usb-boot, you will have to get a usb sd card reader anyway. Sorry!

On a laptop I doubt that you will be able to install an ide card reader either.

Anyway here are instructions if you can proceed with it:

Firstly, you will need to being up an rxvt terminal.
Insert an SD card and type 'probedisk' then Enter at the prompt to list the storage devices on your mahcine. You should see a line in the list which says " ... SD Card Adapter .... " or something similar. The /dev/xxx on that line will be the device name for the slot.

For example, my CF card slot is /dev/sdc

Older versions of probedisk can give strange device id's, which also affect the Puppy Installer script. So, it's worthwhile downloading the updated probedisk, which is here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=3852

You'll need to save it into a temporary location (/home for example), then gunzip <filename>
Then you can type "/home/probedisk3" and observe the list of device names for your storage devices. You can find examples of mine in previous posts.

If that all works well, do "cp /home/probedisk3 /sbin/probedisk" You will need to be 'root' for that. That will update the system's copy.

Then you can run the Puppy Installer and specify that device to install to. (The installer misses off the /dev/ at the start for good readability). You can then follow my instructions in my previous post to make a FAT16 bootable card. I don't think too much will be different in the SD card case.

Hope this helps

Dougal

#259 Post by Dougal »

SimonW wrote:I think it said /dev/sdc but since I couldn't read it, I didn't want to post it. sdc is the correct address for the CF card that I was using.
I think the problem might have been the ext3/vfat problem.

Could you try checking that drive for it's fs? Try different utils and see what they give:

disktype /dev/hdc

/usr/lib/mut/bin/guess_fstype /dev/hdc
also what probedisk/probepart might show.

BTW, here's another update of probepart, might be a little faster.
Attachments
probepart3.gz
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

plinej

#260 Post by plinej »

Okay, here's pawdioconverter-0.8 for grafpup:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=3861