Grafpup-2.xx fourth (and final) alpha

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nathan F

#211 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks, that answers that question and clears up a little different sccenario in my mind. I know Barry is working on fixing some bugs in grubconfig, but this is one of those special cases we are going to have to take into account sometime. I'll start looking at grubconfig and see if there's anything I can do about it, even if it's just a little warning in there somewhere.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

msumner

#212 Post by msumner »

Hi Nathan, Been playing with opera-beta. I tried installing kino. It all seemed to go well, but kino won't load from the menu. I found it in the file system and clicked it to run it, but still no go, nothing. A search revealed lots of kino files so it all seems to be there.
Also, gparted is not in the start menu. Don't know if that was intended?
Mike

Nathan F

#213 Post by Nathan F »

Kino more than likely missed some library dependency. I may not have gotten that information all up to date, or it might possibly be related to the updated ffmpeg. Can you run it in a terminal and let me know what it says?

Gparted is more than likely a case of a .desktop file gone missing. It should definately be in the iso.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

msumner

#214 Post by msumner »

gparted runs ok from the terminal.
Kino gets:
sh-3.00# kino
kino: error while loading shared libraries: libdts.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
EDIT: Hardware Probe doesn't run from the menu.

Nathan F

#215 Post by Nathan F »

Kino has a dependency on libdts, which is in the repo as well. It was the only one I didn't get lited in the database file, so with beta you will have to install libds manually using one of the package managers.

Gparted was a missing .desktop file, or rather an incorrect one that needed a quick edit. I just fixed both issues in the current tree.

I'm checking on the hardware probe now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#216 Post by plinej »

I booted up the beta and messed around for a few minutes. I'll try and do some more testing later tonight but have got some things to do first. Besides the missing libdts which ffmpeg depends on, I'm not sure if you wanted to remove tkConvert and replace it with rarsa's re-write called pConvert (smaller and nicer looking). I'm pretty sure I uploaded pConvert to you. What are the /usr/local/bin/play & play_cell for? Just curious if they're really necessary. I know sox's play is in /usr/bin/.

Nathan F

#217 Post by Nathan F »

yeah, pConvert got missed. I just edited the packages.txt file to do the replacement when I build the next iso.

Not sure where the /usr/local/bin/play and /usr/local/bin/play_cell files are coming from, I'll have to do a search around all the audio packages to figure out where they are coming from.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#218 Post by Lobster »

My main reason for trying was kino in the Beta . . .

I shuddered when having to put in user details to get a console BUT this is a design feature and the whole multi-user aspect and the interface are excellent.

The overall user experience and elegance of the beta illustrate what I consider the most beautiful Puppy. For those interested in working graphically, this is important. Apple is the most aesthetic and most used by graphic types for a reason . . .

I hope Nathan gets loads of feedback because this is doing so many things, exactly right for its intended audience.

woof woof :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#219 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks Lobster, I'm all warm and fuzzy now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

SimonW

#220 Post by SimonW »

I have run the probedisk and probepart commands on the machine with the (troublesome) multi-slot usb card reader. The results are:

Dougal's probedisk2:
/dev/hda|cdrom|PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110
/dev/hdc|disk|Maxtor 6Y080L0
/dev/|Direct-Access|OEI-USB MMC/SD
/dev/|Direct-Access|OEI-USB Smartmedia
/dev/|Direct-Access|OEI-USB CompactFlash
/dev/|Direct-Access|OEI-USB Memory Stick

Dougal's probepart2:
/dev/hdc1|vfat|28675962
/dev/hdc2|ntfs|131395634
/dev/hda|iso9660|0

It's already been pointed out by plinej (Jason?) that there is an improvement possible.

Nathan's updated probedisk/probepart give the following (now, with a 512Mb CF card in slot):

probedisk:
/dev/hdc|disk|Maxtor 6Y080L0
/dev/hda|cdrom|PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110
/dev/sda|Direct-Access|OEI-USB MMC/SD
/dev/sdb|Direct-Access|OEI-USB Smartmedia
/dev/sdc|Direct-Access|OEI-USB CompactFlash
/dev/sdd|Direct-Access|OEI-USB Memory Stick

probepart:
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sda
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdb
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdd
/dev/hdc1|vfat|28675962|Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hdc2|ntfs|131395635|OS/2 HPFS or NTFS
/dev/hda|iso9660|PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110
/dev/sdc1|msdos|10233001|DOS 16-bit FAT >=32M

Excellent!
I copied probedisk & probepart into /sbin and /initrd/bin then on running the Puppy Installer it offered me four choices sda...sdd for the memory card reader slots.
I think this has been fully solved now, thanks guys.

I still have a slight problem with making bootable Grafpup CF cards, ie. some cards work and some don't, I mentioned in a previous post I was getting mount errors etc. I am trying to nail down a process to get it right.

Dougal:
On the sata machine (with cf card for hd0 for boot), I ran the following:

# find /proc -name 'sda'
<returned nothing>

# find /sys -name 'sda'
/sys/block/sda
# ls /sys/block/sda
device block range removable <snip rest>

# find /sys -name '1:0:0:0'
/sys/class/scsi_disk/1:0:0:0
/sys/class/scsi_device/1:0:0:0
/sys/bus/scsi/drivers/sd/1:0:0:0
/sys/bus/scsi/devices/1:0:0:0
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0

Phew. I didn't dive into the directories through lack of time.
This info might be redundant with the most recent probedisk/probepart from Nathan, but perhaps a useful reference. When I download an Opera build, I can copy and paste rather than retyping...

Cheers guys
Simon.

msumner

#221 Post by msumner »

Not sure how to get libdts as it still isn't listed in gpkgtool.
mike

plinej

#222 Post by plinej »

msummer, Nathan's grafpup package repository is at:

http://grafpup.org/index.php?path=.%2Fpackages%2F2.0%2F

Alienx

#223 Post by Alienx »

Sorry, broken english above :-)

Nathan F

#224 Post by Nathan F »

devx_oo5.sfs - OOo_005.sfs - jre_004.sfs can all be used with the beta, although jre_004.sfs will have to be renamed jre_005.sfs in order to be used. By way of explanation OOo stands for Open Office, and jre stands for Java Runtime Environment. I'll have a couple more to use in a few weeks, but I can't get all the files out at once if you know what I mean. I uploaded several gigabytes worth of files in the last couple days.

MIke - http://grafpup.org/packages/2.0/libdts-0.0.2.tar.gz is the package you want.

Simon - Do you mean the probedisk and probepart I posted as attachments here? I need to make sure what works best and really need to nail it down soon.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Dougal

#225 Post by Dougal »

Nathan: the CFcard might be recognised as "hda" if it's connected via a IDE adapter (one of the options Barry has in the installer).

Simon: It's great that you at least confirmed that /sys/block/hda exists...

I have created a dotpup for testing HW, which runs a bunch of tests and gives you a tarball to send me...
Do dotpups work on Grafpup? If so, please try it -- it will save all this playing around...
Attachments
HW-test.pup
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

msumner

#226 Post by msumner »

Hi Nathan, tried the libdts package. Maybe I have done something wrong but I still get the same error. I downloaded to /root, clicked to expand, went with the default to expand to /root. It put a directory in /root and several other files in various places, but still won't run. I suspect that I should have had the package in a particular place before expanding it?
Mike

plinej

#227 Post by plinej »

Just go to a command line, cd to the directory that has your libdts-0.0.2.tar.gz and as root type:

pkgtool -install libdts-0.0.2

SimonW

#228 Post by SimonW »

Simon - Do you mean the probedisk and probepart I posted as attachments here? I need to make sure what works best and really need to nail it down soon.
Yep, I do. The ones posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:53 pm

They did the job just fine :-)

Nathan F

#229 Post by Nathan F »

Doaugal - Simon confirmed that for me a few posts back. And yes, dotpups do work in Grafpup.

Mike - To install the .tar.gz packages you have to either do as Jason says or else open up Gpkgtool and click on the folder icon, which brings up a package selection dialog. There is also a third way. There is a launcher for Gpkgtool at /usr/local/apps/Utility/Packages, which you can drag to the desktop for a shortcut. Then you can drag any .tar.gz|.pet|.pup package to the icon to install it.

Just clicking on a .tar.gz package brings up Xarchive, which is used to extract compressed archive files.

Probably next release (2.01) I may switch the system over completely to .pet packages like in Puppy. I didn't want to do it this time around because pkgtool does not fully support all of the possible features yet, like embedded dotpups and spec files.

Simon - In that case those aren't the latest but the oldest, the binary versions which come with libhardware as opposed to the replacements which are bash scripts.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

SimonW

#230 Post by SimonW »

Eek - in that case we need to be extra specially careful. Do you want to post md5sums of them, and I'll compare?