Grafpup-2.xx fourth (and final) alpha

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nathan F

#16 Post by Nathan F »

OK, I'll have a second look at all these things. I hadn't encountered any of the problems you mentioned myself, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Definately I want these types of issues to be gone by the beta.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#17 Post by plinej »

/usr/local/bin/tkdvd should be slightly modified so the burn button can be seen and the excluded files button isn't squished. Just edit line 24 and change the WM geometry to 750x600. I've also packaged up version 4.0.5 which has already been modified at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 34&t=16050

Here are some other new versions of apps that I have posted:

PBcdripper 2.6 is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 34&t=12088

Pupdvdtool 0.8 is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 34&t=11212

Pawdioconverter 0.6 is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 68&t=15363

Soxgui 0.9 is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 68&t=13935

PRename is my replacement for PBrename and it is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 61&t=16016

dvdauthor-0.6.14 (patched)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 20&t=15775

vobcopy-1.0.1

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 02&t=15776

All of the gtkdialog3 apps that I wrote above have the stock gtk icons so it shouldn't be much work for you to integrate them into grafpup if you so desire.

Nathan F

#18 Post by Nathan F »

All of the gtkdialog3 apps that I wrote above have the stock gtk icons so it shouldn't be much work for you to integrate them into grafpup if you so desire.
Oh, thanks, that's some of the best news I've heard in a while. Actually I noticed the trend the last time I repackaged Pbcdripper.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#19 Post by Nathan F »

Looks good. The splash screen on the top and the boot load status reading underneath. Could we use that in Viz?
Sorry, but the image has to be compiled into the kernel. That would mean recompiling for viz, which isn't a good idea as it would break compatibility between viz and other releases, previous and future. It's something to think about for the future though, when Puppy eventually does upgrade the kernel again.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#20 Post by plinej »

In dotpetrox.sh I added:

cd `dirname "$1"`

near the beginning of the script just after:

ARG2=$2

Now I'm able to click on pet packages in rox to install them and gpkgtool still works fine too.

plinej

#21 Post by plinej »

deleted
Last edited by plinej on Fri 23 Mar 2007, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan F

#22 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks. I just downloaded it and will give it a try in the next few days.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#23 Post by plinej »

One small thing about the dillo version is you have xnview set up as default to view pictures in rox but xnview isn't in the iso. You may want to change it to mtpaint. Rarsa re-wrote tkConvert to a gtk version (which is better and smaller) called pConvert which you can find here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 57&t=15915

Nathan F

#24 Post by Nathan F »

Good point with the image veiwer. I think I'll create another defaults file for "defaultimageviewer", so this can be adjusted based on preference. I plan to do a good deal of work on mime functions for the next iso anyway.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#25 Post by plinej »

deleted
Last edited by plinej on Fri 23 Mar 2007, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

plinej

#26 Post by plinej »

I was not able to burn an iso as user grafpup using grafburn. I'll look into it tomorrow if I have a chance. Also wmix only seems to automatically start up when I login as root otherwise I have to manually start it.

Nathan F

#27 Post by Nathan F »

The cd burning is a known issue but I had every intention of sorting it out at some point. Thing is, cdrecord will not work for regular users. I know for sure of one workaround, which is to set the cdrecord executable suid root. However, this is not ideal and is considered a bit of a security risk by some folks. There is a way I think to set up group permissions to fix it also but I have to research it.

If you want wmix to start up then use the dockapp manager in the menu to start it. You can also start the dockapp manager from freememapplet's popup menu. I do need to change the default configuration for non root users to have wmix on by default. What I want to do eventually is find or hack together a volume control that can run in the system tray, just like freememapplet and blinky do now. A small battery monitor in the tray would also be a good idea, to replace wmpower. I like the possibility to use dockapps if needed, but there are more attractive and unobtrusive solutions for most tasks.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

amish

#28 Post by amish »

The cd burning is a known issue but I had every intention of sorting it out at some point. Thing is, cdrecord will not work for regular users. I know for sure of one workaround, which is to set the cdrecord executable suid root. However, this is not ideal and is considered a bit of a security risk by some folks. There is a way I think to set up group permissions to fix it also but I have to research it.
oh what a perfect time to remind everyone that cdrecord has a flaw doing iso writes ON SOME WRITERS in the 2.6 kernel. the kernel authors messed up something that the author of cdrecord relied on before, he refuses to fix it until they do, cdrecord will never be reliable again. if it "works for me" that means you're lucky to have a writer that's unaffected.

of course since this only means *some* machines and writers cannot burn iso files, it's a low priority :) and has been for at least 4 versions of puppy now.

but that's okay, because i can probably burn an iso file in grafpup 104. i already have 4 versions of puppy, and none of them have ever burned a cd properly, (i have one that was burned improperly, and mostly, puppy never burned a cd whatsoever) so i will just keep trying old versions until one of them gets it right. i have not yet tried grafpup, but puppy 1.07 and 2.11 (all versions of puppy 2) just won't.

cdrdao seems to be the future, but i understand, really it's obvious i should just go buy new hardware every time someone screws up the kernel :) yeah, that makes sense. so cdrecord also has trouble being nonroot? well, hey, so does nero if xp users don't have the "right" to burn cd's... it's kinda funny tho.

Nathan F

#29 Post by Nathan F »

Let's not get too worked up now, it will get worked on. Actually, Debian already forked cdrtools over this and a few other issues, so it is getting worked on (although I can't seem to get any better results using their source). Plus as you say, there's always cdrdao, which I plan to integrate a little more into Grafburn at some point. And remember also that this is essentially a cdrtools problem and not one caused by Puppy.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#30 Post by plinej »

The set-time-for-puppy script seems to freeze up my system everytime I try it. It goes thru everything but freezes on the second to last Xdialog instance. I changed the last 2 instances of Xdialog to gxmessage and then it would just freeze at the very end. I then commented out the last message and it still froze up. I have to do a hard reboot everytime. I was hoping to fix it but I'm not sure what's causing it.

plinej

#31 Post by plinej »

I was getting a /usr/sbin/pmount: line 615: [: =: unary operator expected
in that second version of pmount I posted and I noticed I forgot to change lines 615 & 580 back to:

if [ "$SUDO" = sudo ];then

Dougal

#32 Post by Dougal »

plinej wrote:if [ "$SUDO" = sudo ];then
Tsk, tsk. That is a string comparison -- both sides should be quoted!

"$SUDO" = "sudo"
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

plinej

#33 Post by plinej »

Thanks dougal

plinej

#34 Post by plinej »

I ran into another problem with pmount as user grafpup. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before but pmount won't create the necessary mount points in /mnt unless if you chown grafpup:users /mnt due to /mnt being root:root by default.

plinej

#35 Post by plinej »

Okay, third times a charm right? Here's another pmount. This time I took Barry's latest that he posted on his forum at:

http://www.puppyos.net/forum/azbb.php?1174637854

This has mine and dougal's latest revisions and then Barry fixed a little more. He mentions changing the gxmessage to yaf-splash but since yaf-splash isn't in grafpup at the moment I commented that out and left the gxmessage for now. I added all your code back to it and changed out the icons like you had before.
Attachments
grafpup-pmount-3.tar.gz
(5.82 KiB) Downloaded 680 times