Pizzapup 3.0.1 Final (formerly RC1)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pizzasgood

#46 Post by Pizzasgood »

Pizzapup 3.0.1 isn't based on Puppy 3.01, but on Puppy 2.14. The version number is because this is the first update of Pizzapup 3.0, which was my third version of Pizzapup.

The reason this matters is because Puppy 2.14 didn't have the ability to be installed in a subdirectory like the 3.xx series does. So to install Pizzapup, the pza_301.sfs and zdrv_301.sfs files need to be at the root of the partition. (Note: Be sure that Pizzapup's zdrv file is at the root of the partition, not Puppy 3.01's zdrv.) The initrd.gz and vmlinuz files can be anywhere you want though, as long as you put the correct paths into menu.lst.

Speaking of menu.lst, that will also be a little different. Here's an example that assumes initrd.gz and vmlinuz are at /boot/pizzapup301/ on /dev/hda6, with an IDE harddrive:

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Pizzapup
  root (hd0,5)
  kernel /boot/pizzapup301/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd
  initrd /boot/pizzapup301/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
I haven't actually tested that one. I used to have Pizzapup installed on my laptop, but I've changed things around a lot since Christmas when I was working on pcPuppyOS, so all I have left is that block that I'd commented out. I'm pretty sure it was working at the time. If I still had my main computer available I'd check that one, but it's packed up for the summer and I'm out of state.

As for the wallpaper, it's here:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/art/wallpapers.php
The one you're looking for would part of the "Shining Series".
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

wolfwatcher51

#47 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Pizzasgood,

I could not get pizzapup to run, but I was just trying it to get the wallpaper. The link you provided was the ticket. Very nice work and thanks for sharing, Chris.

P.S. The puppy logo that has the puppy face with the rose in it's mouth, is that yours? I am looking for the owner so I can ask permission to digitize it and embroider it on a couple of shirts. Any help would be appreciated. Chris

Colonel Panic

#48 Post by Colonel Panic »

Pizzasgood wrote:Whoops, I forgot to include flash. Doh! I don't use it much, so I didn't think about it.

First, download the flash package:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... nux.tar.gz
Put it somewhere convenient. I like to use /tmp/NewDir/, but that's just me.

Go to wherever you put it. Now, press the back-quote key (or right-click on it and go to "Window" -> "Terminal Here"). That will open a terminal window. Type
tar -zxf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
and press enter to extract it. It will create a directory called "install_flash_player_9_linux" that contains the plugins.

Copy flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so from that directory into /usr/local/firefox/plugins/

Now you can delete install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz and install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.

Next, open a window at /root/. Click the "eye" icon on the tool-bar to show the hidden files. Go to the .mozilla directory. Create a new directory inside it called plugins (right-click, New -> Directory).

Go inside that plugins directory. Now, symlink the flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so files from /usr/local/firefox/plugins/ into that directory (drag them with the middle mouse button and choose "link (relative)").

Now you should be good to go. :)

I'm not going to rebuild this version again with Flash in it, but it will be included in Pizzapup 3.1 whenever I get around to making it.
Thanks for the instructions, I'm installing Flash in Seamonkey as I post now. :)

P.S. Do you have any plans for a new PizzaPup?

Pizzasgood

#49 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hey, wolfwatcher51. I just now say your post, sorry about that. I didn't create that logo itself, just the wallpaper.

New Pizzapup will begin construction as soon as Barry releases 4.1. It'll take a while to finish though. I'm working full time this summer.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Skipper

Ftp user and password?

#50 Post by Skipper »

Pizzasgood, you are my idol, i'm sorry about asking so newbiely, but...
Your FTP is asking me for a password, and I don't have idea!

A warm hug, brother, greetings.

Pizzasgood

#51 Post by Pizzasgood »

Not at all a newbish question. For future reference, most Puppy repositories that ask for a username and password are looking for "puppy" and "linux", respectively. That is the case with this one too.

I usually mention that next to the download link. But in this case, that server didn't require a login back when I posted this. (I just went back and added it though.)

Skipper

#52 Post by Skipper »

Thank you very much!

Colonel Panic

#53 Post by Colonel Panic »

Pizzapup is a good one anyway and worth downloading IMO.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.