Pizzapup 3.0.1 Final (formerly RC1)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#31 Post by GuestToo »

DaveDX

#32 Post by DaveDX »

PG,

I'm trying to use gcc. On a regular hard drive install, where do I put devx_214.sys? Do I need to rename it devx_301_sys for Pizzapup? I've tried a lot of things...nothing works.

Dave

DennisF

#33 Post by DennisF »

DaveDX,
I have PizzaPup3.0 running now booting frugal.
The devx is named devx_300.sfs and I get gcc (gcc version 3.4.4).
I renamed devx_214.sfs.
Need to mount it after you have a pup_save.

Good luck!
-DF

DennisF

#34 Post by DennisF »

Confirmed this with 3.01 and devx_301.sfs too.

DaveDX

#35 Post by DaveDX »

Problem solved. Installing one of these .sfs files on a regular hard drive puppy installation is different:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8871

Dave

Pizzasgood

#36 Post by Pizzasgood »

For the record, you can make symlinks of them if you want to share the same file between two versions of Puppy, as long as they're in a linux partition.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

joshfan

firefox-MPlayer

#37 Post by joshfan »

First i love your Pizzapup 3.0 os, it is cool and i love the Vista theme it really is good work. How long did it take you to put that together?

And i do have one problem with it. it is in firefox. when i play videos it plays with that mplayer through firefox. and i will not play them right they are distorted. can they not be streamed though xzine or another method? is there an Qtime or realplayer dot pup or something?

That is my only problem, other wise it is a great puppy vertion.

Pizzasgood

#38 Post by Pizzasgood »

Could you give me an example link? Everything I've seen came out shaped right.

You could stream it through another plugin or player, but you'd have to find and install one. I don't know if there are any dotpups out there, and I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. I watch very little video at all, let alone on my computer.

I'm not really sure how long it took. I have a horrible sense of time, especially when working. And it was mostly over Christmas break, so my temporal sense was pretty much dislocated :) Much of the time I was alternating between working or researching some problem, and playing games or reading Popular Science magazines I had gotten behind on.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

TonshA

#39 Post by TonshA »

Hi PG,

I've just noticed that Partview isn't running from the menu. When I try and execute it from a console I get this:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# partview
Error in startup script: child process exited abnormally
    while executing
"exec /bin/losetup-FULL /dev/loop1 | grep "/pup_save" | cut -f 2 -d "(" | cut -f 1 -d ")" | cut -f 4 -d "/" "
    (procedure "df_check" line 11)
    invoked from within
"df_check"
    (file "/usr/sbin/partview" line 84)
sh-3.00# 
...aaaand my brain stops..... :)

This is in Pizzapup 3.0.1 - anyone else having the same problem?

DaveA

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

Ah, that's a result of changing from pup_save to pza_save. Open /usr/sbin/partview in Geany and do a find-replace to change all instances of pup_save to pza_save. Then it should be fine. :)

TonshA

#41 Post by TonshA »

Thanks Pizzasgood! That worked a treat.

DaveA

puppylinuxw

Re: firefox-MPlayer

#42 Post by puppylinuxw »

joshfan wrote: And i do have one problem with it. it is in firefox. when i play videos it plays with that mplayer through firefox. and i will not play them right they are distorted.
There is a firefox extension "MEDIAPLAYER CONNECTIVITY"
make working firefox with mediaplayer better together. I can strongly recommend installing this.
Second advantage is that firefox find mediaplayer plugins even if when they are not at right place.

timcriger

excited for the next pizzapup

#43 Post by timcriger »

Hey Pizzasgood,

I'm excited to hear you got a laptop!! Your PizzaPup is already terrific, and having a laptop to test it on will only make it better in the future.

I'd like to throw in my advice for considering XFCE as your wm. It's so clean, simple and easily tweaked. Just dl either the AlienX or Dougal .pup and give it a whirl. Adding XFCE, unrpm/undeb, flash, and substituting gqview (v2.0.1-1) for image viewing is all I've done to make your 3.0 my default system.

Hope you're getting a summer break,
Tim

jonyo

#44 Post by jonyo »

Hey Pizza, can't dwld this baby..sez maxed out..~10 other folks already connected.. :cry:

EDIT- Ok bingo..dloading :) ..(~6hrs later)..

wolfwatcher51

#45 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello Pizza,

Not sure what is going on here, I have made a directory on hda6 called pizzapup301. I copied from the iso the usual files: IDEHD, initrd.gz, pza_301.sfs, vmlinuz, and zdrv_301.sfs.

I have fatfree301 frugally installed on hda1. In the /mnt/home/boot/grub file I have added an entry to the menu.lst file for Pizza Puppy 301 just like I have for fatfree puppy 301, except for rootnoverify (hd0,5).

I have had other puppies on this partition and gotten them to boot.

When I reboot and select pizza puppy 301 from the graphical interface, it starts then gives me an error, something about not being able to fine Puppy on boot media idecd, or something similar. Any ideas on what is going on here? I tried to boot from cd, and entered puppy pfix=ram and it came up with the same error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris.

P.S. I am trying to find the background that is supposed to come from you that a poster used in his "my puppy is prettier than yours" which was dark concentric oval rings(?) with a pawprint in the middle. Very nice, any idea where I can get it? Thanks, Chris.

Pizzasgood

#46 Post by Pizzasgood »

Pizzapup 3.0.1 isn't based on Puppy 3.01, but on Puppy 2.14. The version number is because this is the first update of Pizzapup 3.0, which was my third version of Pizzapup.

The reason this matters is because Puppy 2.14 didn't have the ability to be installed in a subdirectory like the 3.xx series does. So to install Pizzapup, the pza_301.sfs and zdrv_301.sfs files need to be at the root of the partition. (Note: Be sure that Pizzapup's zdrv file is at the root of the partition, not Puppy 3.01's zdrv.) The initrd.gz and vmlinuz files can be anywhere you want though, as long as you put the correct paths into menu.lst.

Speaking of menu.lst, that will also be a little different. Here's an example that assumes initrd.gz and vmlinuz are at /boot/pizzapup301/ on /dev/hda6, with an IDE harddrive:

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Pizzapup
  root (hd0,5)
  kernel /boot/pizzapup301/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd
  initrd /boot/pizzapup301/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
I haven't actually tested that one. I used to have Pizzapup installed on my laptop, but I've changed things around a lot since Christmas when I was working on pcPuppyOS, so all I have left is that block that I'd commented out. I'm pretty sure it was working at the time. If I still had my main computer available I'd check that one, but it's packed up for the summer and I'm out of state.

As for the wallpaper, it's here:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/art/wallpapers.php
The one you're looking for would part of the "Shining Series".

wolfwatcher51

#47 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Pizzasgood,

I could not get pizzapup to run, but I was just trying it to get the wallpaper. The link you provided was the ticket. Very nice work and thanks for sharing, Chris.

P.S. The puppy logo that has the puppy face with the rose in it's mouth, is that yours? I am looking for the owner so I can ask permission to digitize it and embroider it on a couple of shirts. Any help would be appreciated. Chris

Colonel Panic

#48 Post by Colonel Panic »

Pizzasgood wrote:Whoops, I forgot to include flash. Doh! I don't use it much, so I didn't think about it.

First, download the flash package:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... nux.tar.gz
Put it somewhere convenient. I like to use /tmp/NewDir/, but that's just me.

Go to wherever you put it. Now, press the back-quote key (or right-click on it and go to "Window" -> "Terminal Here"). That will open a terminal window. Type
tar -zxf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
and press enter to extract it. It will create a directory called "install_flash_player_9_linux" that contains the plugins.

Copy flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so from that directory into /usr/local/firefox/plugins/

Now you can delete install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz and install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.

Next, open a window at /root/. Click the "eye" icon on the tool-bar to show the hidden files. Go to the .mozilla directory. Create a new directory inside it called plugins (right-click, New -> Directory).

Go inside that plugins directory. Now, symlink the flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so files from /usr/local/firefox/plugins/ into that directory (drag them with the middle mouse button and choose "link (relative)").

Now you should be good to go. :)

I'm not going to rebuild this version again with Flash in it, but it will be included in Pizzapup 3.1 whenever I get around to making it.
Thanks for the instructions, I'm installing Flash in Seamonkey as I post now. :)

P.S. Do you have any plans for a new PizzaPup?

Pizzasgood

#49 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hey, wolfwatcher51. I just now say your post, sorry about that. I didn't create that logo itself, just the wallpaper.

New Pizzapup will begin construction as soon as Barry releases 4.1. It'll take a while to finish though. I'm working full time this summer.

Skipper

Ftp user and password?

#50 Post by Skipper »

Pizzasgood, you are my idol, i'm sorry about asking so newbiely, but...
Your FTP is asking me for a password, and I don't have idea!

A warm hug, brother, greetings.