jondofox & jondonym - protect your privacy while surfing

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
ariel

jondofox & jondonym - protect your privacy while surfing

#1 Post by ariel »

Do you think your browser is safe? Well, take this test here and see.

test

Now, if you are concerned about your privacy you had better be careful about the settings of your browser or there's a chance of being tracked like a new Winston Smith of the Orwellian novel. Take a look at this article:

read_article

One solution among others is jondofox, a firefox browser tinkered by those smart guys of the test page with settings focused on privacy issues. Here is the download

And for the paranoids there is the possibility to connect with whatever browser to a network that hides your IP pretty much like TOR does. It's easier to install but it needs java. Like TOR it's VERY slow (dialup speed rates) and in addition has download restrictions.

Here's the link

Somebody could say that if you don't have nothing to hide then you don't need to surf anonymous. I say that it's rather because I have nothing to hide that I don't want anybody snooping on me like I was a criminal or a new Winston Smith :!:

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

deleted post
Last edited by Barkin on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:59, edited 8 times in total.

aarf

#3 Post by aarf »

Did the test. It told me i was not secure. Then it told me i lived in the barbarian states!! Got the phone model and opera mini right though. Gives me a wide lattitude.

ariel

#4 Post by ariel »

Barkin why did you delete the first link you posted? It was interesting, especially the report of the research. Others may judge by themselves here.

Some excerpts:

Code: Select all

In general, modern desktop browsers fare very poorly, and around 90% of these are unique. The least unique desktop browsers often have JavaScript disabled (perhaps via NoScript). iPhone and Android browsers are signi

Barkin

#5 Post by Barkin »

I tried running the Jondo Live-CD, it bollixed my computer good and proper.

A reinstall of my Windows & Linux OSes didn't solve the problem : I had to reflash the BIOS to get the computer working as before.

In the four years I've had this computer (DELL 1525) it's the first time I've ever had software which has corrupted the BIOS.

It may be my fault for installing the software incorrectly, it may be a peculiarity of my computer, maybe the CMOS battery needs to be replaced, however there are such things as BIOS rootkits. (If Jondo is modifying the BIOS then why ?).

ariel

#6 Post by ariel »

I didn't test the live cd but only the jar file with a puppy OS. For this last one I haven't had the least problem so far. That's why I suggested it in the forum. I'm really sorry for what happened to your pc :(

rootkit? I'd be surprised for two reasons: the first is that the software was reviewed by independent sources and was originally developed in a university environment; the second is that rootkits are designed to run hidden with the least possible fuss. If it is really what you think, it's a bad rootkit of sorts.

But the project is now passed to a private firm. So, I wouldn't lay my bottom dollar on it either.

I'd suggest to those interested that tests be done with a puppy cd booting into ram and the jar file.