Discussion of Additional Software Index

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
trapster

#1 Post by trapster »

I would think editing the original post with each link would suffice.
ie:

Multimedia

xmms - {link}
bmp - {link}
vlc - {link}
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

nitehawk

#2 Post by nitehawk »

Yeah,...he could of listed the links all together in one posting,....and saved a lot of space. However,...I think it's really nice that he considered someone might like and benefit from his efforts. I for one will take a look at the links he posted. (Bless the Puppy lovers).

dejan555

#3 Post by dejan555 »

Add description ppl don't need to click links to see what's it about
Put links in one post you don't need separate posts for each link
You don't need separate topic for each category
You can make placeholder posts for each category and then put links in one post per category

This way it is just stupid and not searchable

Plus there's dokupuppy which list many of these programs already:
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

nancy reagan

Puppy software is rather inaccessible

#4 Post by nancy reagan »

Some folks have tried something like this before, something with wikka or the like some weeks ago, cannot find the post back.

But if you want to make ONE page like this it shouldl at least be sticky otherwise it sinks down.

Searching costs often hours and hours without result.

The frontpage is also a labyrinth that turns you round and round.

Does a newcomer know what is meant by a "puplet" "pet" etc. ?

ONE introducing page

MULTIMEDIA

streaming
read more <link?

editing
read more <link?

GRAPHICS

editing
read more <link>

OFFICE

WORDPROCESIING
etc.
etc.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Sylvander wrote:How about making a thread...
That has links to all the other sub-threads/topics such as those begun by bigpup?

This could become an important alternative method for finding stuff.

Imagine a top thread...
Each post has a list of links to "things" all of one type...
Like programs/packages to install...

Or this...
Or that...

That top thread would become your gateway to...EVERYTHING.

If it was effective, there would be no need to search the forums.
Sylvander, I tried something like what you suggest, both in the Beginners section (the Sticky Index, which I haven't maintained for years) and the Additional software section (that index got out of date so quickly that I unstuck it.) Forum member deshlab replaced my original Additional software index with a much better idea, but evidently quickly discovered, as I did, that maintaining it would be a full time job. He hasn't been seen in the forum for years.

What you suggest would be a good idea if several problems could be overcome. First, someone has to maintain the index. It can't be left to everyone, or no one will do it. Second, the forum software seems to be deliberately designed to make it difficult to write or maintain long posts, such as would be necessary to do what you suggest. A Wiki would perhaps be useful here, and I think some effort has been made in the Puppy Wiki, but maintaining it would be a nightmare. New .pets are constantly uploaded to places all over the internet. There is no central clearing house for them. I suspect that many developers would bridle at having to deal with even that small a requirement. :lol:

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

Here's the present last page of a somewhat similar idea for a "Puppy Linux" thread I posted at the PC-Guide forums.
And...
Second last page. [More on it right now than the last]
"Thankyou so much (yet again) for all the info and help Sylvander, its worked first time and so far im liking it a lot!" :D [Puppy Linux that is]

To date, this has had 21,227 people view it!

I don't know about many others [2 have thanked me], but I find it a very valuable resource since it lists all kinds of useful info and links, and I always know where to find those.
There may be who-knows-how-many subscribing to that thread and following all new postings!

I have a mental image of web threads/postings becoming a valuable resource by being linked in a logical/structured way, instead of valuable threads remaining unconnected/unlinked.

@Flash
Just looked at the thread you linked = WOW! :D
And a couple of thoughts come to mind:
1. How to keep such things fresh and up-to-the-minute?
My thread is older at the start and new at the end.

2. There's an optimum size:
Too small lacks usefulness...
Too large [densely packed with info] and the reader loses interest.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Sylvander wrote:.....@Flash
Just looked at the thread you linked = WOW! :D .....
Which nicely illustrates a third problem, one I had forgotten about but which is the biggest problem of all: no one pays much attention to the index. You've been a forum member for over a year, during which time you've made over a thousand posts in the forum, yet you never saw that index until now. Why did I bother? :lol:

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

Actually, it's linked in post #50 of my thread, and I'd forgotten about it.

So I HAD come across it [way back in Nov 2008] in my travels, and thought it so valuable as to be worth including. :D

The problem to be overcome is information overload.
Finding the needed info among all of that stuff out there.
I was choosing what I considered the most valuable/useful.

kazzamozz

Internet

#9 Post by kazzamozz »

:(
mrbubl3s wrote:
Stop being such a n00b, everyone knows about these. Its sure a
good thing tht these threads are going to get deleted...
Hi Bigpup
I'm not aware of what your status and not should it matter in this forum. Why is it when someone noob or not tries to do something for nothing for the good of puppy that there is always people out there that have to be nasty :oops:

Thanks Bigpup for the idea it has led me to some stuff I have not been able to find on the forum as the search button does suck a bit. Yes all the links in one area with a little more info would be great, however to maintain something like this is an enormous job.

What starts out as just an idea can flourish into something quite amazing. Maybe this will end up being a great forum sticky maybe not. Or someone will pick up on it and refine it. Great to see not everyone is posting criticism, but ideas for improvement, that's how we end up with a polished product.

Anyway just thought I'd add my two cents worth, I have learned heaps from this forum from Newbies and experienced everyone has something to offer here, and yes there are some dumb things and questions that go on, but we are all here for the good and promotion of Puppy so people please don't post negative crap as it's the best way to lose potentially great ambassadors for this wonderful distro :D

Cheers
Kazzamozz

bugman

#10 Post by bugman »

anyone who does any organizing work in this forum should be encouraged

it is a thankless [and perhaps impossible] job

just don't get weird about it [puppyitis]

:lol:

the more different efforts that are made, the more likely that someone will stumble over one, and will not re-ask one of those questions that pop up every couple of days or so . . .