32 bit color in puppy, Urgent!

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
hellin

32 bit color in puppy, Urgent!

#1 Post by hellin »

Puppy Linux has a lot of uses, but the best use I like for puppy is to watch DVDs, becose my battery dures more than in windows, and the fan is not so molest :D . the problem is that you can't use 32 bits colour, and the image in DVDs don't have a good quality :roll: , this is a very big problem, with a very easy solution, so fix it!!! :wink:

DMcCunney

Re: 32 bit color in puppy, Urgent!

#2 Post by DMcCunney »

hellin wrote:Puppy Linux has a lot of uses, but the best use I like for puppy is to watch DVDs, becose my battery dures more than in windows, and the fan is not so molest :D . the problem is that you can't use 32 bits colour, and the image in DVDs don't have a good quality :roll: , this is a very big problem, with a very easy solution, so fix it!!! :wink:
You did not state what hardware you're using. But what video depth Puppy can display is not under Puppy's control. It's determined by the driver used, and the driver will be a third-party product.

Since I assume it works as desired in Windows, you might investigate whether you can use ndiswrapper to load the Windows driver. (You'll probably have to fiddle with xorg.conf, as well.)

You have a novel idea of what an "easy" solution is.
______
Dennis

ITAmember

#3 Post by ITAmember »

I know the Catalyst driver for my ATI card lets me set the color depth to 32 bits. When you set up puppy for the first time doesn't it let you choose a 24 bit display? You don't get alpha blending (puppy doesn't use it anyway) but you still have 8 bits for the RGB channels.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

What is the problem? Does your video flicker? Does the colour look washed out? Is the screen resolution set incorrectly? Something cannot be fixed without you sharing the detail of the problem.

For your information, 24bit in linux is equivalent to 32bit in windoze. Google it.

I suspect there is something wrong with your setup, not puppy linux, coz it works for a lot of people.

How do you have your system set up? Are you using Xorg or Xvesa? Do you have it set to 24 bit colour properly? Is the resolution set correctly? Is the screen refresh rate correct?

These are easy things for YOU to check and fix, SO FIX IT!! :wink:

Anniekin

#5 Post by Anniekin »

Are you taking 24 in xorg.conf to mean 24bits?

Depth 24 in xorg means 32bits!!!