How to set up a Wacom Tablet

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Pizzasgood

#46 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, here's a version of GTK that will work. It's the same version in Puppy 4.00, but with the --with-xinput=yes flag. After installing this, restart X and Gimp should let you configure things.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 255#227255
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

charlie6

#47 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Pizzasgood wrote
Next, you need drivers. Run the command uname -r to find out which kernel you have, then install the driver below that matches:
wacom_k2.6.18.1.pet
wacom_k2.6.21.7.pet
While searching across the web to get my (pretty old now! - 6 years) wacom tablet working on Puppy4.11 (automatically recognized on Puppy4.0) I went to this post.

It would be nice if a
wacom_k2.6.25.16.pet
could be issued.

Testing Puppy411 as live-cd: the wacom tablet is not recognized ('usb mouse' selected at startup configuation. (was recognized on Puppy4.0). Same result testing on pPuppy411retro.

Cheers

Charlie

Pizzasgood

#48 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yep, been meaning to do that. I've been pretty busy for the last couple weeks so I kept putting it off. I have some time this week though so I should be able to get it done tomorrow afternoon.

To anybody trying to access these files over the last couple days, I have to apologize. My host seems to have been attacked over the weekend. They claim to have fixed everything now so that we can re-upload our content, but I still can't get into my site. Hopefully that will be fixed soon. (This is also why my avatar seems to be on vacation - actually, that's what alerted me to this in the first place, as I didn't receive any kind of email from them! Grrr...)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#49 Post by Pizzasgood »

Actually, it turns out the old package will work fine in 4.10 and 4.11. The only part that is different is the kernel driver, but kernel drivers are installed in a way that lets drivers from multiple versions of the kernel coexist because the location they install into is named after the kernel they belong to, so there wouldn't be any danger of Puppy using the wrong driver. It would just use the kernel driver that is included with Puppy rather than the one I packaged.

I think the kernel driver included with Puppy 4.11 is slightly older than the latest stable version though (but it does appear to be new enough to support the bamboo), so I went ahead and recompiled it anyways. Since my site is still down, I attached it here.
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Thu 04 Dec 2008, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#50 Post by Pizzasgood »

Turns out they were attacked, but my server wasn't. My issue was completely unrelated. Something glitched and caused my site to start hogging resources, so it was auto-suspended. Anyways, it's back up and running again. I added a link to the new file on the first page, and took down the attachment.

charlie6

#51 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pizzasgoog !
Many thanks for wacom_k.2.6.25.16.pet
Cheers,Charlie

gymnart

#52 Post by gymnart »

Would this work on a very old Graphire 1?
I have Puppy 4.1 k2.6.25.16

Pizzasgood

#53 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think it should, but I don't have one to test with so I can't be certain.

gymnart

#54 Post by gymnart »

Edit: problem solved:

What I did was to go into the boot manager (Menu > System > Boot Manager) and looked in the list of drivers to load and finally found the Wacom driver (apparently it was not showing up before because I had loaded it when I did the modprobe wacom command. This time I did not do that and the driver finally did show up).

I selected it to load at boot time as I had to do for my sound drivers.

It worked!! It works only as a mouse (and the pen does too!) and that's all I need for my artwork. I'm accustomed to moving the opacity slider bar in Gimp if I want lighter strokes anyway. I have to do it like that in SuSE 10.0.

*w00t*

Pizzasgood

#55 Post by Pizzasgood »

Several posts back I uploaded a recompiled version of GTK that has xinput enabled, which lets the stylus's pressure sensitivity work. I also posted another recompiled version in another thread that has debug mode enabled along with xinput, which causes Seamonkey and Firefox to not die when you press the insert key. Just in case you decide you do want that.

gymnart

#56 Post by gymnart »

That sounds good.
Do I have to watch out for any incompatibilities?

Pizzasgood

#57 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't noticed any yet.

vtpup

#58 Post by vtpup »

I've got an original Wacom Graphire (ET type) USB version.

Using Puppy 4.1.2 retro (2.6.21.7 kernel).

Doing a

Code: Select all

modprobe wacom
works out of the box without loading any drivers.

However the eraser isn't recognized and Gimp doesn't list it as one of the extended input devices, even though you can actually draw with it in Gimp.

To fix this, I tried the Xorg config changes as listed in the first post for USB and also installed the wacom_k2.6.21.7.pet , but afterwards, when I tried to modprobe wacom, I got a warning

# modprobe wacom
FATAL: Error inserting wacom (/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/usb/input/wacom.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error running install command for wacom
When I unistalled the pet, and rebooted and modprobed the wacom module the tablet worked again, but still had the same problem with the eraser not working and Gimp's problem listing it as an extended input device.

I had hoped that the xorg config changes might have corrected this, even though I had unloaded the new wacom dotpet. But they didn't.

Perhaps it is because I don't have the right event setup.

Doing:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices
gave:
"H: Handlers=mouse2 event4".
Here's what I put into the config file:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "stylus"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event4"   # USB ONLY
  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
  Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "eraser"
  Option        "Type"          "eraser"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "cursor"
  Option        "Type"          "cursor"
EndSection
and for the server layout section:

Section "ServerLayout"
	InputDevice "Synaptics Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"    # For non-LCD tablets only
EndSection
Finally, I have done a:

mknod /dev/input/event4 c 13 68 
and event4 shows up in /dev/input/

Still no go.

I think it needs the first post wacom module dotpet. But that won't load for some reason. I don't think that is related to the pad itself -- the module should load whether a pad is attached or not, shouldn't it?

Pizzasgood

#59 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't tested it in retro yet. I'll give it a try later tonight. EDIT: Scratch that, I don't have time tonight so I'll have to try it tomorrow. Sorry.

First, you need to grab a version of gtk compiled with xinput, otherwise programs like Gimp won't see it as anything but a mouse. I posted one in this thread, but since then I've found out that enabling debug-mode will stop Seamonkey from crashing when you press 'insert', so use this one instead:
gtk+-2.12.1-xinput-debug.pet

Then you'll need to restart X.

If that doesn't help, you might still need the xorg driver. Puppy 4.12 doesn't include that, just the kernel module. The package I posted has both (slightly newer IIRC). Since the kernel module was causing problems, try extracting the package and manually installing only the xorg driver. You can do that like this:

tar xf wacom_k2.6.21.7.pet
cp -a wacom_k2.6.21.7/usr /
(Ignore the error about trailing garbage - that's just the md5sum appended to the tar.gz file)

After finishing, you'll need to restart X again.

vtpup

#60 Post by vtpup »

It works!

Thanks so much Pizzasgood :D .

A couple notes:

I made the GTK change first and restarted X, but couldn't see any difference.

I then did the module download, tar and copy, and restarted X and still no change.

But I suspected that it needed a reboot, not just an X restart, and this proved to be true. After that Gimp showed the extended input devices, and I suddenly had pressure sensitivity in the stylus, which is amazing!

I didn't realize that this very old Graphire pad (the earliest version) was capable of doing pressure sensitivity. In the years since I've owned it, this is the first time that ever experienced that possibility. I didn't have it on Windows., I'm pretty sure -- at least not with the original Graphire drivers and the graphic programs I had.

The eraser works that way as well, however, the eraser tool isn't automatically selected in Gimp when you use the pen eraser. In other words, it doesn't select the background color, but continues in the selected color, with the paintbrush cursor. Maybe that's how Gimp works? Or maybe it's a matter of setting the extended input device?

Well whatever, I'm really happy with what I can do now. Drawing with the brush and pressure is like working in real artist materials, and the eraser is pressure sensitive, too!

Thank you again Pizzasgood for all your work with this. You've made a lot of people happy in this thread!

mikeb

#61 Post by mikeb »

The eraser works that way as well, however, the eraser tool isn't automatically selected in Gimp when you use the pen eraser. In other words, it doesn't select the background color, but continues in the selected color, with the paintbrush cursor. Maybe that's how Gimp works? Or maybe it's a matter of setting the extended input device?
You set the function for each end and then it gets remembered..ie use the eraser then choose eraser tool then it should stay that way.....handy as the mouse can be set to a different tool to the pen.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 55&t=36179
xournal ^ works nicely with tablets too :)
Thank you again Pizzasgood for all your work with this. You've made a lot of people happy in this thread!
Here here...tis true :)

regards

mike

Pizzasgood

#62 Post by Pizzasgood »

I added a package to the first page that includes just the xorg driver, without the kernel module, so that people who would prefer not to (or shouldn't) change the kernel module don't need to.

vtpup

#63 Post by vtpup »

Are you sure about that, pizzasgood?

Maybe you tested it against a 412retro, and in that case apologies for this foolish note, but if not, and you went on what I did....I am not proof of it, since I DID add and load your wacom driver module, as well as the recompiled GTK, in my own system when it finally started working.

That's not to say that it wouldn't have worked without adding the driver module -- and have been able to use the pre-existing Wacom module that ships with 4.1.2. I just never tried it that way.

At present my system always has the wacom driver working, but does not show a wacom driver anywhere in the Puppy Bootmanager. It is not addable there, or removable there. It does not exist in any of the Bootmanager's lists.

It did formerly.

I'm not complaining -- it works fine, and I can't think of a reason I'd ever want to remove it.

@MikeB thanks for the advice -- it works correctly as an eraser in Gimp, now that I know how to set it up. Thanks also for that cool program xournal! Very nice.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get the eraser end to work distinctly from the point end in that program, but this is a pretty trivial nitpicking observation. I mention it only in case you happen to know of the way to do it there as well. It's not very important.

Also, if you could tell me how to improve my handwriting......

mikeb

#64 Post by mikeb »

Options in xournal........handwriting...sorry no hope I'm afraid...

mike

vtpup

#65 Post by vtpup »

Went to Options when I first tried the program, but "Eraser Tip" makes no difference one way or another. The eraser end of the stylus works whether checked or unchecked, and does exactly the same thing as the pointy end.

No big deal, really. I just thought maybe there was another setting or technique (as in Gimp) to get it to work separately.

The problem may just be the fact that I have an older pad....

re. handwriting -- I was joking of course. But thinking about it, there is a serious component:

1.) The scaling of movement on the pad is not adjustable to the screen movement. If I write my signature on the pad I must restrict the size of it to a tiny signature. This is blown up on the screen, and so inaccuracies of movement are exaggerated. Zooming the page onscreen does not change the relative scaling of pen movement to screen, it only changes the relative size of the page onscreen. Therefore to get a closer approximation you would have to zoom IN. This is like trying to write with a magnifying glass which only allows you to see a small window of the paper, and blows up your movements.

and much more important:

2.) In general in Linux implementation for the drivers:

As I recall in the Windows drivers, the pad used absolute coordinates for positioning and this related directly to the screen. So if you placed the stylus from far away to any position on the pad, it would appear in the same relative position on the screen rectangle.

In Linux drivers, if I place the stylus on the pad from far away, the results are mixed. It may show up in a few different places. This seems to happen most when coming in from the lower right edge to middle right edge.

The subsequent moves work in good relative proportion once the cursor is established onscreen, but I find you can run off of the pad before reaching the border of a window or screen while drawing.

This means I have to reposition. That is difficult because I can't bring the cursor in necessarily where you want it. I find myself waving my hand around trying to find a place to come in that will allow me to reach a spot. Usually the upper left is a problem area to reach.

The positioning of the Windows drivers is a lot better than the somewhat arbitrary relative positioning I seem to get with the linux drivers. In Windows, the cursor was always in the same relative position on the screen as on the pad.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

It reminds me a little of what happens when you get xorg or xvesa wrong in setup and find that the screen contents are visible but partially wrapped around to the other side.

In the case of the pad, perhaps this is going on with the bottom of the pad area.

This problem may also be specific to monitor resolution (since a translation has to be calculated by the pad driver to locate the cursor) or my older pad may be incorrectly supported by the linux drivers. So maybe this doesn't happen for everyone. My monitor is set to 1024 x 768 pixels x 24bit xorg