#286 Post by pemasu »

# gcc --version
gcc Debian 4.4.5-8 4.4.5

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76247

Fabio T

Updated Wacom driver (0.16) for notebook Fujitsu T902

#287 Post by Fabio T »

Charlie6,
I've got a new notebook (Fujitsu T902) that has a Wacom pen/touch digitizer, that's not working with wacom-0.15.0.ko.gz.
It is a USB device.

lsusb tells:

ID 056a:0101 Wacom Co., Ltd

so I must use wacom.ko

I've found an updated version (from SourceForge) of driver, I've compiled it in Pemasu's Upup 3.2.29 (remove .gz prior to use).

Install first xf86-input_k.3.2.29-upup-wacom-0.17.0.pet (Precise Puppy or Upup)

Insert wacom.ko driver in the place of same previous version (this file works only with kernel 3.2.29).

To make pen works correctly, delete file /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules (tested in upup), otherwise pen works bad.

Make necessary changes to Xorg.conf like previous messages.

For stylus I suggest this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on"
# Option "Mode" "Relative"
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
Option "AlwaysCore" "on"
Option "Speed" "1.0"
Option "Threshold" "5"
Option "CursorProx" "5"
# Option "Speed" "5"
# # Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Serial Tablet PC ONLY

EndSection
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reboot system twice after driver install.

Stylus works fine, finger works bad.

I'll try again to fix this: anyone have an idea to make finger touch works correctly?

I enclose also source packet: after compilation, compiled files (Wacom.ko, wacom_w8001.ko) are created in directory 2.6.38 (also in kernel 3.2.29) .
Attachments
wacom_w8001.ko.gz
Wacom driver for serial devices
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
wacom.ko.gz
Wacom driver for USB devices
(59.01 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2
Source Packet
(105.33 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

charlie6

#288 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Fabio,
i have not that enough experience to solve kernel drivers issues ... sorry ! :(
I've got a new notebook (Fujitsu T902) that has a Wacom pen/touch digitizer, that's not working with wacom-0.15.0.ko.gz.
I presume your running Pemasu's uPup-precise with kernel 3.2.29 ...?
1) To check if the already built-in wacom.ko works (distros with kernel version above 2.6.35 comes with an already updated wacom.ko driver; so no need to compile it ...according to wacom-project website):
? before installing whatever wacom stuff, have you tried first:

Code: Select all

#depmod
#modprobe wacom
this load and activates the wacom.ko (no need to restart X nor reboot): your tablet MUST work as a common mouse.
if not there might be a problem =>first check the integrity of the distro's iso ...best is to re-download and re-install to be sure.

2)
To make pen works correctly, delete file /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules (tested in upup), otherwise pen works bad.
Here have installed xf86-input_k.3.2.29-upup-wacom-0.17.0.pet on several install of uPup-precise ... no the slightest problem with an old Volito1 and a more recent Bamboo-MTE450A wacom tablets.
OK if it works for you.
I do not know about the necessity to delete 65-wacom.rules ... maybe you're right.
65-wacom.rules creates the symlink /dev/input/wacom; without this symlink, the tablet works only as a common mouse (= if using mtPaint or Gimp, no pressure sensitivity; no relative cursor arrow positioning either, if lifting the pen/mouse from tablets pad, then the cursor moves to one corner of the screen).
Someone more experienced with udev rules should confirm if this could be compatible for all hardwares/distros.
To check if the tablets functions are recognized, typing in a console should return something like:

# xsetwacom --list
stylus                             id: 8   type: STYLUS   
eraser                             id: 9   type: ERASER   
cursor                             id: 10   type: CURSOR   
pad                                id: 11   type: PAD
# 
3)
Stylus works fine, finger works bad
sorry, i have no touch tablet so i cannot perform any testing = i cannot help you; i believe you would gain to browse across wacom-project documentation here
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/l ... =Main_Page
there you might found xorg.conf settings adequate to your tablet (for non touch tablets, xorg.conf setting have needed some tuning to get the pen/cursor working; i.e. options "Threshold" and "CursorProx" ...value 5 works for Volito1; but Graphire needs another value).
Hope this helps
Charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:05, edited 2 times in total.

charlie6

xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 for k3.7.2 driver

#289 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
btw...
here is xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 for k3.7.2 driver
(compiled and tested on uPup-Precise-3.7.2)
enjoy
charlie

Fabio T

Driver compilation

#290 Post by Fabio T »

Hi charlie6.
I can't compile file xf86-input-wacom-0.19.0.tar.bz2 in new Upup Kernel 3.7.2, compiler complains several errors and don't install it.
Please, Can you obtain a .pet from this file?

Please, please, can you compile wacom 0.16 driver (last version)? I can't (compiler refuses compilation with several errors).

In upup with 3.2.29 Kernel I obtain wacom.ko in 2.6.38 directory (strange?), in kernel 3.7.2. nothing to do!

Perhaps with new drivers my laptop works better...

I enclose source files for you.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Original driver shipped with Upup don't works on my laptop, I need new version to work (for now only works on versione 3.2.29).
Attachments
Updated wacom driver for Fujitsu T902
(105.33 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

charlie6

#291 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Fabio,
Thanks again for your post!
forum member keef's post here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=45, as also yours, pushed me to again get a look at Linuxwacomproject website litterature.
- Found on the Linuxwacomproject website mainpage:
Tip: On modern desktop distributions, you do not need the kernel or X drivers in the linuxwacom tarball.
- I now could understand and presume it would no longer be necessary to compile the xf86-input driver for so called «modern distros». Latest kernel might then well come with all wacom stuffs ... :shock: !
and indeed ..=> :shock: :
Looking inside both uPup-Precise 5X47 and 3.7.2 isos, are found:
- wacom.ko i.e. kernel driver ... present on all puppies;
- wacom_drv.so i.e. Xorg X11 driver
- xsetwacom which allows settings from console
BUT: i don't yet know if some additional udev rule or some xorg.conf.d might be needed.

For your tablet (type = ?), both built-in drivers might be enough to get it working at the condition the /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings are adequately tuned => see Linuxwacomproject website to find the your-tablet-specific settings.

Please read the link above to keef's post, edit your xorg.conf file as reported, and get a try re-doing what he did. Your tablet might well work.

About compiling drivers: here i just mount the devx_XXX.sfs file to get the Xorg driver compile environment; kernel headers (or source) addition is necessary to compile the kernel driver (i.e. wacom.ko ; but i confess i resist to compile it as it often failed) ... but imho you might well lost your (so precious... :wink: ) time trying compiling the kernel driver.

Hope this helps
Charlie

charlie6

#292 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
(please read previous post first)
Tested on a fresh (= «pristine») precisave.3fs running uPup Precise 54X7: i can confirm that my Volito1 wacom tablet works - included pressure sensitivity on mtPaint - without any compiled xf86-input-wacom_xxx.pet installed ...
...at the following conditions (in facts, nothing new to what is reported in this thread):
1. the puppy distributions built-in wacom.ko driver needs to be loaded using the bootmanager and will be active on next reboot =>so do reboot; if you don't want to reboot, it also can be done manualy (for the current session only; must be re-done after an eventual reboot) doing in console

#depmod
#modprobe wacom
#
1.1 to check if that wacom.ko driver is activated, do in console:

#lsmod
...       <=IF WACOM IS LISTED, wacom.ko is activated
2. /etc/X11/xorg.conf must be edited by adding the wacom «bits» as already reported along the present thread; once edited X MUST be restarted (see main Menu, or just pressing the keys combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
3. once all this is done, it needs a few seconds for the cursors arrow to move in accordance with the pen/mouse displacements.

No need to add
/dev/input/wacom symlink ... it is generated automaticaly as also /dev/input/tablet-name symlink;
nor
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf, also automaticaly generated
nor
/etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules which was in the xf86-input-wacom pet (forum member keef already reported to get the tablet working having deleted this file) :)

all this works on dPup-Exprimo-3.6.2 / Precise-3.7.2 :wink:
hope all this helps
charlie

Fabio T

#293 Post by Fabio T »

Hi charlie6,
the procedure that you are explain in previous message don't work for my tablet PC.
It need an updated Wacom driver, the one that I compiled on Upup 3.2.29 is patched from Ping Cheng <pingc@wacom.com>.

I don't be able to compile the packet input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2 in upup kernel 3.7.2, if you are able to do that or tell me how can I do I'll be grateful.
Thank you for you attention.

Fabio

charlie6

#294 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Fabio,
did you try the 0.17.0 version compiled in upup-3.7.2 => see above in this page ? it has some bug fixes with respect to 0.16.0 ...!?

for tablet PC: i don't know anything about tablet PC ...and :shock: did you connect a wacom tablet to your tablet PC ... i believe i've missed something.. :?: :?

to compile:
a. see page 14 this thread, don570's howto;
or
b. follow this:
- mount the relevant devx_XXX.sfs + reboot;
- mkdir -p /root/xf86-input-wacom_kXXX
- extract the xf86-input...tar.bz2 wherever you want (i use to extract in /tmp)
- cd to xf86-input directory
- there:

#./configure --prefix=/usr
#make
#make install DESTDIR=/root/xf86-input-wacom_kXXX
#
#cd ..
Now you have /root/xf86-input-wacom_kXXX with all wacom stuffs, but they are not yet ordered to puppylinux structure.

D/L an existing xf86...pet an extract it somewhere not at the same directory level as the one in above paragraph.
You will use it as a template replacing the compiled stuff in it.
Rename that directory to xf86-input-wacom_kXXX.
Here use the dir2pet right-click option present on all Pemasu's puppies
or
#dir2pet /root/xf86-input-wacom_kXXX
...  <= here answer to the question
#
When done you got a
xf86-input-wacom_kXXX.pet   :D 
Then install it.
That's all
Charlie

Fabio T

#295 Post by Fabio T »

Hi charlie6, thanks for your reply.
excuse me, but I intend to compile input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2 that is the source of updated wacom.ko driver, not xf86 stuff.

My laptop has a new type of wacom screen, I can use stylus and fingers on it. Product code (form lsusb) is 0101.

The File I inserted in my previous post , input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2, compiles in strange shape on upup precise 3.2.29 (it creates wacom.ko in dir 2.6.38) but cannot compile at all on upup non-PAE kernel 3.7.2.

Perhaps I must use Kernel-headers or somewhat else? And how can I do?
I use currently devx_precise_XXX.sfs and Kernel-src.XXX.sfs where XXX is Puplet version and Kernel version, with this 2 files compilation is fine (I've compiled yesterday Realtek SDCard Reader driver because Puppy can't recognize SD card slot).

For xf86-input-wacom-0.19.0.tar.bz2 i can ignore compilation and load your .pet instead.

Can you tell me if input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2 is defective or needs some tweaking to work?

Thank you and excuse me for my insistence.
Attachments
Wacom driver updated from Ping for compiling and testing
(105.33 KiB) Downloaded 459 times

charlie6

#296 Post by charlie6 »

Fabio,

now:
would you mind posting what returns on your tablet PC?

# lsmod | grep wacom
next:
Perhaps I must use Kernel-headers or somewhat else? And how can I do?
answer in above post here:
About compiling drivers: here i just mount the devx_XXX.sfs file to get the Xorg driver compile environment; kernel headers (or source) addition is necessary to compile the kernel driver (i.e. wacom.ko ; but i confess i resist to compile it as it often failed) ... but imho you might well lost your (so precious... Wink ) time trying compiling the kernel driver.
(it creates wacom.ko in dir 2.6.3Cool but cannot compile at all on upup non-PAE kernel 3.7.2
if the input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2 has been made before kernel 3.7.2's make then ... no surprise...it cannot give output for a kernel that did not ever exist at that time.
You maybe ought to PM Ping Cheng.
Can you tell me if input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2 is defective
it worked here with usb tablets ...i can't tell more ... see Linuxwacomproject for more details you would need.

charlie

Fabio T

#297 Post by Fabio T »

charlie6,

lsmod | grep wacom returns:

wacom 34796 0

driver is loaded but NOTHING...

wacom driver enclose in Upup, Puppy, Fluppy or Precise of every version don't work on my laptop.

Command "depmod" and "modprobe wacom" has no effect.

If you open file input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2 I enclose in previus messages You'll find several directory, one for each kernel (2.6.30, 2.6.36, 2.6.38). There is one named 3.7, that perhaps is not complete, not works.

Compilation of this file in Upup kernel 3.2.29 goes OK but file wacom.ko is formed in directory 2.6.38 even on kernel 3.2.29.

ONLY THIS FILE GENERATED with this compilation works on my laptop, no other one.

File that you enclose in this thread time ago is version 0.15:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 760#671318

that not works.

If don't exist any system to compile input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2 on the new kernel ... I'll try to contact Ping Cheng...

Thanks.

Fabio

charlie6

#298 Post by charlie6 »

Fabio,
charlie6,
lsmod | grep wacom returns:
wacom 34796 0
driver is loaded but NOTHING...
hmm..good!...this tells the wacom module is loaded ... and ready for use ...but does not yet mean «it is not working».

Now, if you have uPup-3.7.2 or Precise 54X7 installed, would you mind just report what returns in a console

#xsetwacom --list
or

#xsetwacom --list devices
sorry if this looks a bit "pedagogic", but i cannot figure myself what your system is made of.
cheers
charlie

Fabio T

#299 Post by Fabio T »

Hi charlie6,

xsetwacom --list in Upup 3.7.2 (with original wacom driver) return nothing (carriage return).

xsetwacom --list in Upup Precise 54X7 returns:

stylus id: 9 type: STYLUS
eraser id: 10 type: ERASER
cursor id: 11 type: CURSOR
pad id: 12 type: PAD
touch id: 13 type: TOUCH

Pen and fingertouch works (fingertouch isn't accurate, pen is OK, is also pressure sensitive - tried with GIMP).

Thanks

Fabio

charlie6

#300 Post by charlie6 »

Fabio,
that are good news!
if so, on the 54X7 session,
/etc/X11/xorg.conf has been edited (= you have edited it) by adding wacom «bits» in
Section ServerLayout
and also so many
Section Devices
---
End Section
for
stylus
eraser
cursor
pad
touch

Now for 3.7.2, if you edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf the same way, you might well get the same results.
Do not forget to check if wacom module is loaded (#lsmod | grep wacom); if not load it using the «Menu/System/BootManager Settings/Load Kernel Module» option and reboot; it will be loaded at each boot.
fingertouch isn't accurate
I suggest you to read in LinuxWacom Project about fine tuning of
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touch"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "touch"
Option "USB" "on"
EndSection
there might be some Option to add in it with specific tuning value to improve the fingertouch accuracy.
cheers
charlie

Fabio T

#301 Post by Fabio T »

I edited xorg.conf either in Upup 5.4.x.7 and Upup Kernel 3.7.2.

Same configuration, no load of xf86 driver, I follow you suggestion.

But at the first (5.4.x.7) I inserted new driver and works OK.

The second (3.7.2) has original driver and NOT works.

charlie6

#302 Post by charlie6 »

Fabio,
on 3.7.2 session, would you mind again posting what following command line returns:

# lsmod | grep wacom
if it returns "wacom"
then also

# xsetwacom --list

Fabio T

#303 Post by Fabio T »

charlie6,

Those are my actions (step by step):

--------In Upup 3.7.2:--------------

I Modify Xorg.conf according with your suggest to add wacom sections (pen, stylus, touch, cursor, pad)

Restart X server.

I open a rxvt terminal and type:

#depmod

Cursor system waits 2-3 seconds and returns (flashing cursor).

#modprobe wacom

Cursor system returns immediatly

#xsetwacom --list

Cursor system return immediatly without message and no function of pen or touchscreen

-----------In Upup 54x7:---------------

I Modify Xorg.conf according with your suggest to add wacom sections (pen, stylus, touch, cursor, pad)

At first configuration I copy new driver wacom.ko in directory /lib/modules/3.2.29/kernel/input/tablet/

Restart X server (best to reboot).

Next I open a rxvt terminal and type:

#depmod

Cursor system waits 2-3 seconds and return flashing cursor.

#modprobe wacom

#xsetwacom --list

System returns immediatly with message:

stylus id: 9 type: STYLUS
eraser id: 10 type: ERASER
cursor id: 11 type: CURSOR
pad id: 12 type: PAD
touch id: 13 type: TOUCH

Difference from two systems is that in 5,4,X.7 I use new driver wacom.

Cheers,

Fabio

charlie6

#304 Post by charlie6 »

--------In Upup 3.7.2:--------------

I open a rxvt terminal and type:
#depmod
Cursor system waits 2-3 seconds and returns (flashing cursor).
#modprobe wacom
1. here, if there were a problem with wacom.ko, you would have a error message returned.

2. Does «#lsmod | grep wacom» return «wacom»?

#xsetwacom --list
Cursor system return immediatly without message and no function of pen or touchscreen
here, as wacom_drv.so is present, you would have the list of devices returned. If not, the wacom tablet can't be used.

4.Also the syntax of xorg.conf must be correct. Would you mind post a copy of your xorg.conf (rename it xorg.conf.tar.gz and attach it to your post)

5. question: did you restart X after edition of xorg.conf? X needs to be restarted to activate the new xorg.conf.

charlie6

Fujitsu T902

#305 Post by charlie6 »

Fabio,
here a link to read that might interest you
http://old.nabble.com/Fujitsu-Lifebook- ... 20583.html