How to set up a Wacom Tablet

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mikeb

#121 Post by mikeb »

Ok HairyWill ..thanks for having your finger on thee pulse and the update...happy drawing :)

mike

2lman2

had it working and screwed it up

#122 Post by 2lman2 »

I have an M1300 tablet, which I pooched the MS OS on and installed Puppy 4.20 via unetbootin while drive was in a usb enclosure attached to xp box. Placed hdd back into tablet & voila, Puppy on tablet.

I followed some forun instructions (these ones I think... http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... b426f82b80)...
to get the pen functioning and it appeared to have worked great.
Next I installed xvbd, unplugged the usb keyboard & mouse, installed a bunch of .pets and eventually re-booted tablet.

During reboot, X failed to start & so I ran xorgwizard & pen doesn't work anymore.
I tried to clean out directories and do it all over again about 50 or so times now, trying every combination of instructions I can think of and no way.

If there's anyone here with a clue as to what to do, could I please impose upon you for some help?
Thanks in advance

Pizzasgood

#123 Post by Pizzasgood »

The xorgwizard rewrites /etc/X11/xorg.conf, so if you had to modify that for the pen you'll have to re-do that part any time you run xorgwizard. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt. I always make a backup named xorgwizard.conf_WORKING after I set it up for my wacom tablet and dualscreen. Then if I ever have to use xorgwizard, I still have the old copy laying around so that I can just copy and paste the relevant parts.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

2lman2

#124 Post by 2lman2 »

Thanks Pizzasgood.

I have started over from scratch.
I think I'll use 4.3.1 this time, (if I can get it to boot on the usb hdd after I put it back in the tablet).
I will be logging each step, so when I have it going again, I'll include steps for the M1300.

nibl

#125 Post by nibl »

I just got a Bamboo Pen CTL-460 and cannot get it working with Puppy 4.2 yet.

I have Puppy 4.2 with a 2.6.25.16 kernel, so I installed the Pets for kernel and Xorg. I edited xorg.conf. The module loads fine. Restarted X. The tablet lights up and changes when the pen touches it, but no pointer movement :-(

I discovered that the tablet is listed as a USB device, but not as an input device. Is that a clue?

/proc/bus/usb/devices - list tablet
/proc/bus/input/devices - does not list the tablet

More errors from dmesg and Xorg log, just the wacom bits:

--------------------------

Code: Select all

dmesg:

hub 5-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
wacom: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
usbcore: registered new interface driver wacom
/tmp/ff/linuxwacom-0.8.2-2/src/2.6.24/wacom_sys.c: v1.46-pc0.4:USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver

---------------------

Xorg.0.log

(II) LoadModule: "wacom"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input//wacom_drv.so
(II) Module wacom: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.5
(II) Wacom driver level: 47-0.8.2-1 $
(II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
        i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 
915G,
        E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, 965G, 965G, 965
Q, 946GZ,

(**) stylus device is /dev/wacom
(**) stylus (stylus) is not a pad 
(**) stylus is in absolute mode
(**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
(**) Option "USB" "on"
(**) stylus: reading USB link
(**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
(**) eraser: always reports core events
(**) eraser device is /dev/wacom
(**) eraser (eraser) is not a pad 
(**) eraser is in absolute mode
(**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
(**) Option "USB" "on"
(**) eraser: reading USB link
(**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
        No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/

--------------------------

Any help greatly appreciated.

Marcus
Last edited by nibl on Thu 18 Feb 2010, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

nibl

#126 Post by nibl »

Forgot to mention I'm using an Eee Pc 701. It has the built in Synaptics touchpad. Not sure if that's relevant. All laptops have a touchpad so nothing extraordinary.

Marcus

Pizzasgood

#127 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmmm... It complains that /dev/wacom does not exist. Do you have the /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules file? If not, create a text file with that name and path, and place the following in it:

# udev rule for wacom tablets.

KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYMLINK+="wacom"
You will then need to exit X, unplug the tablet, wait a couple seconds, and plug it in. Wait a couple seconds, and then see if /dev/wacom exists:

ls -l /dev/wacom
If that returns an error, unplug the tablet, wait half a minute or so, plug it in, wait half a minute or so, and try again. If it gives you information about the file (therefor the file exists), you should be able to start X and use the tablet.

If it still doesn't work, you might need something fancier. Maybe try this version of the 65-wacom.rules file:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 503#297503
(Note: That would create files like /dev/wacom-stylus and /dev/wacom-eraser instead of /dev/wacom, so you would need to adjust the ls command for checking if the files were created.)

Let me know if this helps.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

nibl

#128 Post by nibl »

Thanks PizzasGood, I had the udev rule, but there's no device /dev/wacom being assigned by udev. Here's the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/device", you'll notice that device is "none".

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=056a ProdID=00d4 Rev= 1.06
S:  Manufacturer=Wacom Co.,Ltd.
S:  Product=CTL-460
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 98mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   9 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=4ms

I'll try the other udev rule now.

Isn't udev only reassigning /dev/eventX ? Can I see whether the tablet has been assigned to /dev/eventX ? I've got several listed from event 0-10, 9 is missing. Which one is the wacom?

Thanks again,

Marcus

Pizzasgood

#129 Post by Pizzasgood »

Since it doesn't show up in /proc/bus/input/devices, I'm guessing we need a newer version of the driver. I can't do that tonight, but I can try to make some time tomorrow evening. Otherwise I'll do it this weekend. Looks like they're at 8.4-4 now, vs. the 8.2-2 that I compiled last. I found a post saying it works with the 8.5 development series. I'll have to poke around and see if support is only in the development series or if it's already in the stable. If it turns out you need the development version, I'll make packages of both.

nibl

#130 Post by nibl »

Excellent, Thanks PizzasGood. I just tried Hairy Wills solution on a temporary install of 4.3.1 and it worked! :-) So whatever Hairy Will used works with the Bamboo Pen.

Only I have all my stuff installed and configured on 4.2.1 so it would be great to have a driver for its 2.6.25.16 kernel.

Thanks again for all the help.

Btw, I had the original Wacom Pen Partner I bought in 1997. My first impression is that the new Bamboo Pen is a great improvement, and affordable. The pen nib is cushioned and the tablet surface roughened for a more paper-like feeling. I could never get used to the smooth surface of the old tablet for drawing.

Marcus

HairyWill

#131 Post by HairyWill »

Look closely at the udev rule and xorg.conf I posted I think the device node in the udev rule I posted was /dev/input/wacom
the bottom of 65-wacom.rules

# Convenience links for the common case of a single tablet.  We could do just this:
#ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
# but for legacy reasons, we keep the input/wacom link as the generic stylus device.
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ENV{WACOM_TYPE}!="touch", SYMLINK+="input/wacom"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ENV{WACOM_TYPE}=="touch", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-touch"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00d4", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen"

# Check and repossess the device if a module other than the wacom one
# is already bound to it.
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ACTION=="add", RUN+="check_driver wacom $devpath $env{ID_BUS}"
and the appropriate xorg input section

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "stylus"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"    # USB ONLY
  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
  Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
EndSection
I do not have a good understanding of udev but I presume you can call the node anything you like as long as it is consistent.

Thanks for the PM. It is fun being at the bleeding edge and gettings to work for the first time. Ironically, considering your satisfaction at not having to use windows. I am currently in XP to setup a homeworld2 session with my son.

Incidentally when I plug the tablet into win7 I get a handwriting input window. The accuracy is pretty good and the correction facility is fairly easy to use.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

nibl

#132 Post by nibl »

Yes, I think only consistency matters with udev so you could call your tablet /dev/joe-blogs-got-a-tablet. As long as xorg knows, it's okay.

Speaking of consistency, it would be good to use /dev/input/wacom in this thread and on Puppies so there's one device name. The linux wacom project docs and the debian udev script all use it. It doesn't help newbies following instructions when the device names vary. It's a prime source for avoidable bugs.

Since PizzasGood had decided on /dev/wacom I had to change my xorg.conf. Fortunately I knew where to look and read the Debian udev script. (Those with experience can still call there device /dev/rockin-puppy-tablet if they wish :-) )

@Hairy Will, I've been using SoftWriting for recognition with a real pen and paper, not a tablet. It runs under Wine in Puppy with xsane. Write in unconnected letters on real paper, scan it in, feed into SoftWriting, out comes a text file. It needs some training first but the side effect is that your handwriting gets neater and you can get away from the computer, and have real hardcopy which requires no batteries to be read :-)

Pizzasgood

#133 Post by Pizzasgood »

Doh! I didn't realize you were talking about the same device HarryWill mentioned on the previous page.

Yes, that's a good point about the path. I don't know why I used /dev/wacom, I think that was just the first version I found. I've updated that first post of the thread to use /dev/input/wacom, and the new packages I made today also use that.

If anybody upgrades to the newer versions from an older version, update your xorg.conf file!

I packaged 0.8.4-4 and 0.8.5-10 today, for the 2.6.21.7, 2.6.25.16, and 2.6.30.5 kernels. (Thank goodness for QEMU.) I also added some bigger text to the first post since it's starting to get a bit long.

Incidentally, I have so many wacom packages on my server now that I moved them all into a subdirectory, so any links that pointed directly too them are now broken. Just in case anybody has been linking to them on a wiki or anything. (Would be better to link to this thread.)

nibl

#134 Post by nibl »

Many Thanks PizzasGood. One note, the 0.8.5-10 driver versions may be required for the Bamboo tablets.

Might be good to note that, since the 0.8.5-10 drivers are listed at the very bottom as "experimental", when in fact they may be required for the Bamboo series...and note that the driver may have quirks because support is new.

Pizzasgood

#135 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay.

nibl

#136 Post by nibl »

First of all, Thanks PizzasGood for the new drivers. The experimental version works under Puppy 4.2.1 with the Bamboo Pen.

The only minor annoyance is that if the tablet is unplugged it's gone until a reboot. Restarting X does not help. In fact, if you try to cat the device the console hangs. If you are not running X, then you have to reboot.

I know that hot-plugging is not supported, and I'm fine with restarting X, but having to reboot, and a hanging console when listing the devices points to some kind of more serious fault.

One clue may be that I can plug in the tablet *after* X has started (on the first boot up). The tablet does not need to be plugged in at boot time, or even before X starts. But when removed there's a problem. When first plugged in there's a message from the system that a new device has been recognized (dmesg? cannot remember). When removed there is no system message.

Any ideas what the cause may be?

Pizzasgood

#137 Post by Pizzasgood »

Nope. I honestly don't know much about kernel stuff.

One idea you might try is to unplug the tablet, kill X, run rmmod wacom, and then do modprobe wacom to reload the driver. Then start X and try plugging in the tablet. I don't know if that will help.

EDIT: On my system using one of the older drivers (I don't remember which one I installed last) I do get a message when unplugging my tablet and another when I plug it in again, so it does sound like something isn't quite right on your end.

gazb

Working with Lucid Puppylupu 5.01 on toshiba portege m200

#138 Post by gazb »

Thanks pizzasgood

Had some trouble getting it going but the xorg needed,

To enable the Wacom device, open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add the following to the
ServerLayout section:

*Code:*
Section "ServerLayout"
[keep whatever is currently there and add]
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

The following is for TabletPCs because the device is serial.

*Code:*
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

charlie6

#139 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pizzasgood !
many thanks for those pets !

LAST EDITED: I got it working ! Yessss...!
...BUT...one question remains...
I could not get /dev/input/wacom automatically created by /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules (...maybe missed something?)
So it could'nt work anymore upon a different USB connexions configuration.

What I did:
manually copied as symlink /dev/event5 into /dev/input and renamed it as /dev/input/wacom;

Another point:
Xorg has rebuilt its original version upon each X restart preventing the use of the edited xorg.conf with the wacom bits: the cause was TRIVIAL:
I copied the "Server Layout" section as follows:

Section "ServerLayout"
            Identifier     "Default Layout"
            Screen 0 "Screen0"   0 0
            InputDevice    "Mouse0"    "CorePointer"
            InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
            InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
            InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
            InputDevice    "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"   # For non-LCD tablets only
    	    InputDevice    "touch"     "SendCoreEvents"    # Only a few TabletPCs support this type
#InputDevice    "pad"   # For Intuos3/CintiqV5/Graphire4/Bamboo tablets
EndSection

Looking in xorg.conf it appeared that the # did not comment the lines (as they were not grey coloured) - I had just to delete the comments to get Xorg accepting the new edited file.

Hi Pizzasgood !
many thanks for those pets !
on turbopup xtreme v1.0 (i.e. Puppy 4.20 k2.6.25.16)
I'm currently using a wacom graphire1 tablet as a mouse just by having loaded the wacom module through the "boot manager".

After having unloaded that wacom module and restarted the PC, I installed the wacom-0.8.4-4-k2.6.25.16.pet only and followed the steps 1. to 6. in this thread.
After doing depmod and modprobe wacom in a console, the cursor and stylus are working.

Restarting xorgwizard causes to get xorg.conf back to its previous unmodified version (modified according to step 4). The modified version is put into xorg.conf.bak after restarting Xorg.

I did not find any /dev/input/wacom file present after installation, even after making /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules executable.

How could I get it? This file is mentionned under the "Section "InputDevice"" added lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Many thank for any answer
Cheers
Charlie

Pizzasgood

#140 Post by Pizzasgood »

I did not find any /dev/input/wacom file present after installation, even after making /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules executable
Odd. To be honest I don't know very much about udev. I guess the first thing to check would be whether udev is even running in your version of Puppy. If you run the following command you should see it listed as "udevd":

ps -eo comm | sort 
(note: that '|' character is a pipe, not a capital 'i' or lowercase 'L'. On a US keyboard, the pipe character is the shifted version of the backslash '\' key, between 'Backspace' and 'Enter'.)

There might be more than one instance of udevd listed, that's fine. If you don't see udevd at all, maybe it got disabled or killed somehow. In that case, try starting it by hand to see what happens:

udevd --daemon
Then unplug and plug in the wacom. If this works, you could add that line to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to have it automatically run on bootup.

If udevd is running, then I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe try looking at the output of the dmesg command and the file /var/log/messages to see if there's anything suspicious. In particular, try booting with the wacom unplugged, glance through the output of dmesg, especially toward the end, and then plug in the wacom and check dmesg again. You should see some new messages show up at the end of dmesg after plugging it in. They might give you some hints as to what's wrong.