Firewall script update

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
lvds

Firewall script update

#1 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I have slightly modified the firewall script on my system so to have a new feature. The first screen of the dialog setup now displays an "Automagic" choice which, when choosen, setup the whole firewall with default configuration without asking the user to press a key. It's now simpler for newbies to activate the firewall they just have to press one button.

I have used it intensively since enough days now and i think it is ok for everyone. But if someone found a problem please report it.

I don't know if this is the right place to post it here, in case somone is also interested in having this.

Best regards,
Laurent.
Attachments
firewall_update.tar.gz
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 446 times

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

I think this is the appropriate place for "apps. testing".
Once debugged & proven then post the final app. in "Additional Software".
And maybe post in "Announcements" with a link to the "Additional Software" post.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Laurent that is good news and much appreciated

:)

Whenever I set up Puppy I run the firewall and a one click auto button would be most welcome. Hope Barry adds this for 2.16.

I find the Firewall which disables non used services, does not effect connection speed at all. Perhaps your script could also be called from the connection wizard?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

lvds

#4 Post by lvds »

Thanks,

...Well Lobster i think it is perhaps better to keep it launch by hand by users, at least for a distro to release to people, but of course you can tweak your system the way you want. For public release, having people to launch manually the firewall also educates users, by teaching them internet is a wild zone with many nasty virus ready to shut down their computer as soon as they open the modem connection... :wink:

Best regards,
Laurent.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

See latest News Blog: http://www.puppyos.net/news/