How to change keyboard language on the fly?

Using applications, configuring, problems
profolio

How to change keyboard language on the fly?

#1 Post by profolio »

In PizzaPuppy is there a utility for the dock that would enable a fast keyboard layout switch....without using to the wizard or affecting the menus ? Often enough I have to write in french (accents) and switch back to english on the fly. I looked in
the PSI but I couldn't find anything.
Thanks,
Michel

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

In the keyboard/mouse settings, there's the "advanced" keyboard settings, where you can add layouts and modifiers.
So you can have, say, "us" and "fr" layouts and select some modifier like ctrl-alt and use that to switch on-the-fly (like in Windows).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

profolio

re on the fly

#3 Post by profolio »

Thanks...I'll give it a try when I get home to Puppy.
Michel

profolio

Re K layout

#4 Post by profolio »

Sorry can't find the advanced option in setup/wizard/mouse/keyboard. And when I try to download new locales it reports that I don't have a valid internet connection. Remember I'm in PizzaPuppy.
Michel

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

I haven't tried Pizzapup but he probably hasn't removed that app.

In Puppy it's in the "Mouse/Keyboard Wizard" in the setup menu. It has an icon with flags on it and says "advanced Xorg keyboard configuration" (or something).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

profolio

re keyboard

#6 Post by profolio »

Well I did download a new locale (fr ca ) but when it got selected I restarted X only to find a bizare switcharoo between some keys (ex. z became w)
not very handy if you have to use the prompt...(lol)
On the other hand, I don't think it's very usefull to have to restart X everytime you switch keyboards. What I was hoping to find was an applet
like the one that resides in the PCLOS dock (small flag) that enables you to switch on the fly. Hopefully someone will make one some day if it doesn't already exist.
Michel

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

it is not necessary to restart X to change keymaps

you could try keymapper:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?&t=13454

it is a dockapp, and will appear as a small window on the desktop if you run Icewm and Icedock

or Fluxbox supports dockapps

i don't know if JWM supports dockapps

if you use Icewm, you can put an icon to start/stop it on the taskbar at the bottom ... or configure Icewm to run it when you click the clock

or you can write a simple script to switch keymaps when an icon on the taskbar is clicked

or you can use Dougal's keyboard configuration program to set up different keymaps, and you just need to press a key combination to switch between them ... i forget what the standard switch combination is

for example, paste this in an rxvt terminal console window (select the text with the left mouse button, click the middle mouse button (wheel) to paste):

setxkbmap -option grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,ca

this should allow you to switch from the us keymap to the ca keymap when you press ctrl+shift ... the Scroll Lock led should light when you have ca selected ... for example:

us: /
ca: é

us: #
ca: /

those kind of options are what Dougal's program puts in xorg.conf ... or you can edit the hidden file /root/.xinitrc and put something like this before the exec $CURRENTWM line:

setxkbmap -option grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,ca

this will work with Xorg, it may not work properly with Xvesa

profolio

re keyboard

#8 Post by profolio »

Sound's promissing...I'll try it later and keep you posted.
Thanks
Michel

profolio

re keyboard

#9 Post by profolio »

While ctrl+shift produced no results after pasting the line in an Rxvt terminal, keymapper gives me the accents (é à ù ô) when I right click the french flag. I added Keymapper to MU's autostart to have it readily available.The truth be it known is that I should invest in a new keyboard (lol).
Thanks guys.
Michel

Dougal

Re: re keyboard

#10 Post by Dougal »

profolio wrote:Well I did download a new locale (fr ca ) but when it got selected I restarted X only to find a bizare switcharoo between some keys (ex. z became w)
What do you mean you downloaded a new locale? From "Chooselocale"? That locale is kept fixed and you just change the keymaps with the key-combination in Xorg.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

profolio

re keyboard

#11 Post by profolio »

Well that could explain the switcheroo.....Read the above post.
Keymapper worked it out.
Thanks
Michel