Questions about Rox 2.x (and filers in general)

Using applications, configuring, problems
disciple

Questions about Rox 2.x (and filers in general)

#1 Post by disciple »

In Rox 2.x you can choose a custom font for the pinboard - this is good for people that need larger text. But I cannot find a way to change the font in filer windows (have I missed something?) - that makes the feature kind of useless except for people that want a fancy desktop.

There are also some other small but very useful improvements over 1.2, although I can't think of any right now :)

The big improvement is of course that Rox now has bookmarks and a history, but this is associated with what seems to me to be a major step backwards - treating symlinks as folders and showing a directory location with respect to them. I really don't like anything like this that is essentially hiding the real file system, so you don't know where you really are. There is a feature to actually move up in the true sense instead of going 'up' to the folder with the symlink. Does anybody know if it is feasible to hack Rox to do this by default? If I want to follow the symlinks back up I can always use the history - that is what it is for. Along with this I would also like to hack it to show the true location in the title bar. Of all the file managers I have tried, Konqueror is the only one with truly separate 'up' and 'back' buttons - others either don't let you go back if you follow a symlink (rox 1) or don't let you go truly 'up'. Presumably things like Krusader also have this functionality, but I was very surprised that Nautilus does not.

I love Rox - its functionality is great, I prefer it to everything else I've tried - it's just that it could be so much better.

One other question - is there any way to get the nice crisp fonts of Rox 1.2 in 2.x?

Yes, I do realise some of this really belongs in the ROX forum :)

MU

#2 Post by MU »

It uses the fonts used by Gtk2.

You can set those with:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... mechooser/
(install all pups there).

Or create such a file
/root/.gtkrc-2.0

Code: Select all

style "user-font"
{
  font_name="Sans 11"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"
Then restart Rox (exit X).

This picture shows the "Sans 11" font:

http://noforum.de/pics/Gtk2-fonts.jpg

Mark

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Thank you - that's superb. I always wanted to know that - I seem to remember a discussion a long time ago about changing GTK fonts that never found the answer.