Seamonkey 1.1 installed, how to get rid of 1.04?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Canadianpuppy

Seamonkey 1.1 installed, how to get rid of 1.04?

#1 Post by Canadianpuppy »

Hallo:
I presently have The Teenage pup installed. I wanted to update Seamonkey. I did that and it works, but how do I eliminate 1.04 seamonkey
after installing 1.1 version??

Please advise,
Thanks, CP :) :)

Artie

#2 Post by Artie »

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but can you please tell me where you got a dotpup for SeaMonkey 1.1? The wiki link doesn't work...

Artie

Canadianpuppy

Seamonkey 1.04 to 1.1 problem

#3 Post by Canadianpuppy »

Hallo Artie:
I downloaded it from the Mozilla site directly, and put it in a directory, and opened it. I still have to get the Seamonkey icon on the desktop,
now is just a cogwheel if you know what I mean.
Unfortunately, in Linux, it does not look like 1.1 will not overwrite or install in direct place of 1.04.
Anyway I am no Linux guru, just learning a bit at a time; newbie
sort of guy.

Thanks, :)
Cpuppy

Artie

#4 Post by Artie »

Hi Cpuppy,

I just downloaded and installed the 1.1.1 on their website. It's the first time I've done anything like that but it went swimmingly! :-) You can set the icon by:

Rightclick on the cogwheel -> Set icon...

Go to the SeaMonkey folder -> Chrome -> Icons -> Default -> Drag the seamonkey.png to the open window in the Set icon... window

Good luck!

Artie

Canadianpuppy

Seamonkey 1.1 and Seamonkey 1.04

#5 Post by Canadianpuppy »

Hallo Artie;
Thanks for the information. It worked super fine.

Unfortunately it didnt work for Opera. If you know how to put the Opera Icon on the desktop let me know, or anyone who may read this item.

Happy Puppy Linuxing :D :D

Thanks from a
Canadian puppy http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/images ... icon17.gif

Artie

#6 Post by Artie »

In my 2.12 the opera exe is in /usr/local/bin and the icon is in /usr/local/opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en-521/images/
otherwise same procedure as last time. Worked ok here.

Artie

Canadianpuppy

Seamonkey 1.1 and 1.04

#7 Post by Canadianpuppy »

Hallo Artie:
Dont quite know what I did before but the Opera icon is on
the desktop now. Note that the print , or fonts are better in Opera, than
Seamonkey.
Anyway your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
CP :D :D

rmockler

#8 Post by rmockler »

I'd like to join this thread and share my experiences related to what you have been discussing. After reading some of your posts, I downloaded Seamonkey 1.1 and installed it. I created the desktop icon as you suggested, and it worked fine. Then I decided to try to get rid of the Seamonkey 1.04 and Seamonkey 1.06 folders that I had. First, I dragged the 1.04 folder to the Trashcan and rebooted. Seamonkey 1.1 worked fine. Second, I dragged the 1.06 folder to the Trashcan and rebooted. Seamonkey 1.1 came up fine, but whenever I clicked on a link the browser just died. So, I restored the 1.06 from the Trashcan and now everything works good again. The bottom line is that I would like to get rid of the 1.06 because it uses 36 MB of storage. If either of you discover the way to eliminate it, please post the solution here. Thanks for your great suggestions in the posts.
~Dick

Artie

#9 Post by Artie »

Sorry but I don't have any suggestions regarding how to get rid of old SeaMonkeys. I do have a problem with font sizes though and I was wondering if you have the same problem. In my 1.1.1. all the fonts except in the browser window are huge. Is it the same with you and do you happen to know how I can reduce their sizes? Thanks!

zygo

#10 Post by zygo »

I use Opera and don't use Seamonkey. I tried simpy deleting /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6 but gxine couldn't find a library. I know that Opera also uses the same plugins as Seamonkey so I just delete everything else. What remains is about 6MB.

rmockler

#11 Post by rmockler »

Artie, regarding your fonts question:
I suggest you start a browser session, click on Edit at the top, click on Preferences at the bottom of the drop-down menu, then at Appearances click on the + sign to open the drop-down menu. There you click on Fonts, and are presented a menu with fonts and sizes. I changed all three of the size blocks to 14, and the results are satisfactory. You can experiment to your own liking.

zygo

#12 Post by zygo »

I wrote a script to kill seamonkey-1.0.6: killsm. I have only tried it with seamonkey-1.0.6 in 214 with no HDD - gxine & Opera are working fine. If you want to try it with another version of seamonkey you will need to edit the loc variable.
Attachments
killsm.zip
(254 Bytes) Downloaded 255 times

trapster

#13 Post by trapster »

Whenever I upgraded seamonkey, I would download it to a directory called seamonkey-1.04 or seamonkey-1.06 or whatever version it is. I have downloaded seamonkey-1.1.1 and installed it to /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.1. (this is where my other seamonkeys are). I then had to create a symlink from /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.1 to /usr/lib/mozilla.

I suppose if you always downloaded the latest version to a folder called "seamonkey", you wouldn't have to play with the symlink to /usr/lib/mozilla. But this is my way of keeping track of versions.

I also had to symlink /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.1/seamonkey-bin to /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.1/mozilla-bin

Then I copy the "plugins" folder from the old seamonkey into the new seamonkey folder.

Then I rename the old seamonkey-1.06 folder to something like seamonkey-1.06-old.

If everything seems to work for a few days, then I delete the older version.

So far so good for 2 days.
Last edited by trapster on Sat 17 Mar 2007, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Artie

#14 Post by Artie »

Thanks for the suggestion rmockler I'm aware of those but they only change the fonts in the browser window. However, I found the right place in /root/.mozilla/default/r3y1skkw.slt/chrome/userChrome.css by trial and error and now the toolbar fonts are of the correct size.

Artie