Need drivers for Winmodems

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Johnny Reb

Need drivers for Winmodems

#1 Post by Johnny Reb »

Hello, this is a problem that seems to plague all Linux distributions. That problem being winmodems. Unfortunatly I have one of them, and if it were not for the fact that presently I'm unemployed I would just go buy a hardware modem, but finances don't permit that. I've been wanting to learn to use Linux for quiet awhile now, and have finally downloaded your version, and it's great except for the fact that I cannot connect to the internet. I managed to find (and it wasn't easy) some beta drivers for my modem, but I cannot get them to install and work on Puppy. The modem in question is a: Conexant SmartHCF P95 Data/Fax/Remotetam/Speakerphone subvendor Broadxent -- http:///www.broadxent.com
modem type HCF Blaster Flash56 PCI DI5630-5. Is it possible to get this modem to work under Puppy? I do have some of the Linuxant beta drivers for this modem, but if they will work I can't figure out how to get them to. Any assistance y'all could provide will be much appriciated.

klhrevolutionist

of course win has problems

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Yes I was looking at that today, I saw a neat little package that might work will have to go look for it! It might be an answer it might not?
Best temp solution is to get an ethernet connection upgrade your isp
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Johnny Reb

Re: of course win has problems

#3 Post by Johnny Reb »

klhrevolutionist wrote:Yes I was looking at that today, I saw a neat little package that might work will have to go look for it! It might be an answer it might not?
Best temp solution is to get an ethernet connection upgrade your isp
I wish I could afford to upgrade my internet connection, but I can't afford to for now, so I'm stuck with dialup. BTW, I found a couple of programs that would be good candidates for .pup's. I'm running the windows versions on win2k, and downloaded and installed the Linux versions to Puppy w/o any trouble. The programs are Skype, and Bit Wise IM. Both installed very easily, and as new as I am to Linux that really suprised me. Of course I can't use either one of them until I have an internet connection with Puppy, but I was still pleased with the ease with which they installed.

klhrevolutionist

yes it is very easy

#4 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I'm sure barry k. will like to hear that! So what are the good things you notice of puppy and what are the things you see need to be better or included?
Also did you try the modem wizard???
or try press start and then go to network in the top should be more modem
tools!!! try them they should work
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Thu 04 Aug 2005, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Skype is already a Pupget (start / pupget from the menus - but you have to be online to download) as is xchat for IRC, GAIM covers most standards and is built into Puppy . . .

:)

anyway IRC details here - Yahoo was recently added aswell but the wiki needs updating for jabber and other IM's
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PuppyLinuxIRC
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

To reply to the question in the original post:

HCF/HSF modem drivers unleashed package

(Be sure to read the whole thread before proceeding.)

Johnny Reb

Re: yes it is very easy

#7 Post by Johnny Reb »

klhrevolutionist wrote:I'm sure barry k. will like to hear that! So what are the good things you notice of puppy and what are the things you see need to be better or included?
Also did you try the modem wizard???
or try press start and then go to network in the top should be more modem
tools!!! try them they should work
Well Puppy seems to be the eaisest Linux distrubition I've tried. Several years ago I tried WinLinux 2000 and about the time I was starting to get a feel for it my computer crashed, and I never got back to working with it. By the time I got back interested in Linux again, I was using NT4 and NTFS, and since there was no support for NTFS I didn't bother with it for quiet awhile. Since then I've tried Peanut Linux, and have it installed on my HD, but I was booting it from a floppy disk, and my floppy disk controller on the motherboard died so I wasn't able to use it long enough to even get a feel for it. Now that I can view the contents of the ext3 partitions I set up for it I'll probably try to set up grub for it and use it too.

Other than the ease of use, so far the thing that has impressed me most about Puppy is it's speed. I've only had it installed for a few days, and reallly haven't got a feel for it yet, but it appears to be the eaisest Linux distribution that I've seen. I'll let y'all know more as I become more accustomed to Linux. Coming from a windows enviroment I've got an awful lot to learn, and it's difficult to evaluate something with which you're almost completly unfamiliar.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#8 Post by Johnny Reb »

Lobster wrote:Skype is already a Pupget (start / pupget from the menus - but you have to be online to download) as is xchat for IRC, GAIM covers most standards and is built into Puppy . . .

:)

anyway IRC details here - Yahoo was recently added aswell but the wiki needs updating for jabber and other IM's
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PuppyLinuxIRC
Heh, well I reckon I got Skype the hard way then, but it really was not difficult to install. I use GAIM on windows, as well as ICQ, and Bit Wise IM. I do think the Bit Wise IM would be a very good candidate for a .pup though because it's an encrypted IM. Unline GAIM, which has encryption plugins, Bit Wise is encrypted by default. All messages, file transfers or whatever are encrypted. Given the fact that nearly everyone is mining data on the internet now I try to encrypt everything I possibly can. I'm even accessing this site from an encrypted anon proxy (JAP - Java Anonymous Proxy). You really have to work at it to maintain even a small measure of privacy these days, which is a sad commentary on our times.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine