Puppy 2.14 - I CANNOT get 3Com USB WIFI dongle to work...

carled

Puppy 2.14 - I CANNOT get 3Com USB WIFI dongle to work...

#1 Post by carled »

Hi all, newbie trying to resurrect his old W98 Sony Vaio mini-notebook PCG-N505X.

I know the USB port & wifi connector are good as they work under W98, but that's too old & slow for me.

I have followed as much of this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15224 as I can understand but I never get network interfaces listed, even though I now have the ZD1211RW driver in place.

I don't understand anything at all about linux/puppy, etc... as I'm windoze born & bred, so I'm a bit of a hopeless noob trying to see the light...

Any more steps I can try to attempt to force the interface to appear?

Cheers
Carl

carled

#2 Post by carled »

Bump. Any ideas or links I can try please guys?

Cheers.

tempestuous

Re: Puppy 2.14 - I CANNOT get 3Com USB WIFI dongle to work..

#3 Post by tempestuous »

carled wrote:I never get network interfaces listed, even though I now have the ZD1211RW driver in place.
Are you sure your device has a Zydas chipset?
I see on the ndiswrapper compatibility webpage that certain 3COM USB models have the Atheros chipset. If this is the case, you will need to use ndiswrapper.

carled

#4 Post by carled »

Thanks, tempestuous, but according to the FCC ID (PPQWN4320) here:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/e ... Search.cfm, it's a Zydas...

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

It appears you have the 3Com 3CRUSB10075, usb-id 6891:A727
Let's recap; after "modprobe zd1211rw" you should first check that the zd1211rw module has successfully loaded with "lsmod".
Now run "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" to see if a wifi network interface has been created.
If not, the zd1211rw driver is clearly not working with your device.

You could now try the older "community" r83 version of the Zydas driver from here http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... 2-to-2.14/
Your driver is "zd1211" not "zd1211b" (from the usb-id) so -

rmmod zd1211rw
modprobe zd1211

carled

#6 Post by carled »

After I do "modprobe zd1211rw" and "lsmod" I see zd1211rw listed against the "usbcore" line. I have done "rmmod usb_storage" in case that was in the way.

ifconfig shows "lo" loopback interface only
iwconfig shows "no wireless extensions"

I then do "rmmod zd1211rw" followed by "modprobe zd1211" and repeat the lsmod, ifconfig & iwconfig commands with exactly the same results as before.

I then downloaded and installed the .pet package you directed me to, did "modprobe zd1211" and repeated the above once more. Exactly the same.

No green lights on the Wifi stick. If I unplug it and replace it, I get a green light on "act" for a few seconds then it goes out...

I'm lost, sorry...

heri

Same dongle, no problem here

#7 Post by heri »

Hello,

I have the same usb wifi adapter (3Com 3CRUSB10075) and it works fine in my laptop using Puppy 2.14 in DHCP mode (I am typing from this now..)

I just follow the network wizard from the menu: no need to change any configuration from console.

I did these steps:

Menu > Setup > Network Wizard > Load driver > zd1211rw
Interfaces > eth1 > Wireless >
(create new profile here:)
Profile Name: 3Com, ESSID: 3Com, Mode: Managed > Save > Use this profile > Auto DHCP

Then I got connected. *Puppylinux is amazing*

All the best.

carled

#8 Post by carled »

Thanks Heri... the trouble is that I don't get the "Interfaces > eth1 > Wireless >" bit... I just see "Puppy does not see any active netwrok interfaces..." and I have no idea how to set one up!