Old IBM DCAS SCSI HD not recognized

Booting, installing, newbie
Hans Koblet

Old IBM DCAS SCSI HD not recognized

#1 Post by Hans Koblet »

Old IBM DCAS SCSI HD, ca. 1997 not recognized by Puppy's MUT or pmount. Is there a SCSI-driver available and how and where to install ?

Thank you

Hans

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

You seem to have overlooked this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9377
As you can see from the hit count, this is a topic that is of more concern to more folk than almost any other. But you should be able to R-W to your scsi drives with 2.13/2.14 provided they are not on the ISA bus. Attention to ISA hardware is waiting on khlr to provided instructions for a recompile. Unfortunately, most compact distros have now abandoned ISA, so you would need to use one of the majors. DSL can do scsi on the PCI bus.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

I found an old IBM DCAS 32160 in my spares box. It had a version of Debian on it, probably from Knoppix. I ran it up on an Adaptec 2906 (no BIOS) and was able to R-W from P2.14 after mounting it with MUT. All my scsi HDs were formatted with DSL originally. 2Gb is perfect for installing a compact distro - but not Puppy -yet! The running speed with scsi is amazing.

Hans Koblet

SCSI HD

#4 Post by Hans Koblet »

Hello Sage

I'd like to stay with Puppy for the future, although my primary interest is OOo. My old IBM DCAS has 2 GB. PCI-Bus, so it will run with P2.14, as I take from your note. When will Puppy be able to get installed on a SCSI-HD ? You state, it's not YET the case. Is this in the pipeline for futher development ?

Thanks for your information.

Hans

SirDuncan

#5 Post by SirDuncan »

I might be off-base, but if you can read and write to a drive you should be able to install. I think what was meant by "2Gb is perfect for installing a compact distro - but not Puppy -yet!" is that Puppy requires nowhere near that much space. 1gb would be plenty for Puppy and all of your programs, unless you want to run all the big ones like KDE and Open Office. As long as you can write to the drive, 2gb would be plenty of room for Puppy, Open Office, KDE, some MP3s to listen to while you work, and all of your documents.

Note: the drive does need to be ext2 or ext3 if you want to do a full HD install. This can be accomplished by GParted or Parted in Puppy. I think GParted is more user friendly.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

bobn9lvu

#6 Post by bobn9lvu »

SirDuncan wrote:I might be off-base, but if you can read and write to a drive you should be able to install. I think what was meant by "2Gb is perfect for installing a compact distro - but not Puppy -yet!" is that Puppy requires nowhere near that much space. 1gb would be plenty for Puppy and all of your programs, unless you want to run all the big ones like KDE and Open Office. As long as you can write to the drive, 2gb would be plenty of room for Puppy, Open Office, KDE, some MP3s to listen to while you work, and all of your documents.

Note: the drive does need to be ext2 or ext3 if you want to do a full HD install. This can be accomplished by GParted or Parted in Puppy. I think GParted is more user friendly.
I've done a full hd install using the rieser file system as well.
There is a workaround to installing Puppy on a scsi drive,
but at this time you cannot boot from scsii.
Until the kernal is compiled to support scsii you get the
linux version of the BSOD :twisted:

Bob 8)

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

If you really want to see Puppy booting up from a scsi system, you will need to copy your request to Barry and PM folk like Jesse, MU and Gn2, who are the guys with the ability. Bob has been trying to send some scsi HW to MU for a while, but he has recently moved job and location. Barry has no scsi HW either and not a lot of time or interest!
So there you have it! Find someone who has the time, the ability, the interest and the hardware - that's all.

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

I'm wondering what moved you to change your title, Hans? It seemed adequate to draw in sufficient interest, initially.

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Where are you Hans?! Did you notice that the numbering, but not the disposition, on the label of ID parameters on the DCAS drive is inverted? These drives DO need pins 6 set to get internal termination unless you've got a cable with a doggle at the end.
Don't realistically see much prospect for Puppy on scsi. The critical mass of interested parties just isn't there. Suggest you try another distro.

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

Update: For some terrific good news, go to :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 900#102900