xkill

Miscellaneous tools
labbe5

xkill

#1 Post by labbe5 »

Sometimes you get stuck with a window that stays open whatever you do, and you get mad, and you are prone to reboot the computer to get rid of it. That happens to me with Handbrake, when i stop a process, such as ripping a DVD.

There is a way to get rid of such a window : open your terminal and type in xkill. Then, with the mouse, you click the window you want to get rid of, and most of the time, the window will get killed and will be gone. No need to reboot. It will work with most Linux OS.

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

Nice tip.

I usually go to the taskbar and right mouse click the associated program/windows entry and select the 'kill' option
Attachments
s.jpg
(63.46 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for this tip on another manner to rid an artifact lurking around on the desktop.

On most PUPs you can use the taskbar item shown.

Some other PUPs do not offer the taskbar "Kill" option. On those PUPs, I have used htop to locate the task to Kill it.

On still others, I have resorted to stopping and restarting the desktop.

"xkill" seems to offer an intuitive way to tag and kill the offender. Will have to try it at next need.

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

I don't have a xkill binary/script in my Thin Slack (533t) :(

ebisu

#5 Post by ebisu »

xkill is not included in puppies. I never had problems with killing windows via process manager or via taskbar. Never needed to reboot..

cimarron

#6 Post by cimarron »

Xkill .pet here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=850858#850858

Especially useful if used with a keyboard shortcut