TEENpup Version 1.0.0 iso download now!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#76 Post by john biles »

Hello setecio,
Give it a try and maybe create some swap on your Hard Drive say 128Mb's
I could only get Puppy 2.03 running on a Pentium 1 PC with 32mb's of ram when I created some swap. (sometimes creating an ext2 partition over a ext3 partition has worked for me) I had to wait 20 minutes for Puppy to boot up on the old PC with 32mb's of ram Live before I could use Gpart to setup the required partitions. It took a bit of time to get it to work, so keep experimenting, good luck.

Joshfan, I'd check the checksum to see if you have downloaded TEENpup without errors first. Also remember TEENpup 1.0.0 is based on Puppy 2.10

Have you tried Puppy 2.10 or 2.14
One thing I have learnt about Linux after trying over 50 different distro's is that one distro will work nicely on one PC and then not work well or at all on another PC. I've had great success with Mepis 3.4-3 where others on this forum could get it to boot at all.

With TEENpup all that has been added is more Apps and changes to the appearance of Icons, mime files etc.
I have not removed anything.

I hope you get it working. TEENpup 2.0.0 will be coming in a few weeks time and is based on Puppy 2.14 so hopefully you will have more luck then.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

metre9dmt

TeenPup bug (i think?)

#77 Post by metre9dmt »

Tried to use TeenPup at the office wherein I have Pentium 4, nvidia motherboard and video built in, ps/2 mouse and keyboard and LCD monitor. I was able to see the main screen but the mouse is nowhere to be found. Any suggestions to go around this problem?

I will test it later at home and report details later.

Regards.

Dominic M. Tolentino

metre9dmt

TeenPup bug (i think?) Rejoinder

#78 Post by metre9dmt »

Used an officemate's computer with a regular CRT monitor and almost the same specs, TeenPup works! The mouse works perfectly.

Does TeenPup have a bug on LCD monitors?

Dominic M. Tolentino

john biles

#79 Post by john biles »

Hello metre9dmt,
I test TEENpup where I work and they have an LCD screen, no problems.
Some times I have to re-run the xorgwizard and in there you will find the mouse wizard, which may allow you to get around the problem. Also at work I can only use xvesa as TEENpup 1.0.0 won't work correctly using xorg.
As I am working on TEENpup 2.0.0 at the moment, testing so far has both xvesa and xorg working fine on the PC at work.

asawa ko pilipina so good to hear someone from the Philippines is trying out TEENpup.

raffy

Philippines

#80 Post by raffy »

Ah, I also discovered metre9dmt is just a neighbor! And you are, too, John. This is too good to be totoo (real), eh?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

metre9dmt

LCD problem & Neighbors

#81 Post by metre9dmt »

Tried to use several mouse (logitech, A4Tech and IBM) to eliminate problem. The problem still persist, I still cannot see the mouse at TeenPup main screen. Tried to play around with xorgwizard but I have only the courage to change the vertical screen refresh rate. There must be a glitch somewhere. The LCD monitor is a LG FLatron L1730S and with Nvidia video built in the motherboard (Correction with the CPU: it was an Athlon 64). I still have to read the more about the xorgwizard before tinkering with it. Anyway, it would have been nice to show off TeenPup to my officemates who are extensive CAD users. There is always a next time...

By the way, Raffy is the first Filipino I know who is actively involve with Puppy Linux. I just visited him at his workplace last April 10 and nice enough to have a short chat. He actually inspired me to use Puppy Linux extensively and spread the gospel.

Last year, I went to this Open Source Conference thinking of learning more about Linux. I was frustrated by most attendees since they speak too much hardcore computerese, showing off their high-end laptops/phones and all they can think off are those bigger Linux distribution such as Novell Suse, Red Hat and Ubuntu. I was further displease since there were not even an exchange of such Linux distributions. How can I know how good they are? Wasn't this the Open Source Conference?

That was time I search around the Internet and found Puppy Linux. I was pleased to know it was a live distribution so it was easy to play around using my Windows-based computer. I was also glad that Barry Kauler and Raffy were there and not some hardcore computer geeks for us, ordinary mortals (re: Windows slaves ;-)), that can use Puppy Linux and TeenPup (of course) in our daily lives and slowly get out of the Matrix-like world of Windows. Thank you for your efforts! That includes you and other makers of Puppy Linux derivatives.

Regards.

Dominic M. Tolentino 8-)

metre9dmt

Just reading 2.0 Notes...Nice

#82 Post by metre9dmt »

Just read the recent changes for version 2.0. Nice! I had my pamangkins (nephews and nieces) used TeenPup 1.0 in their computers after taught them how to use it. They are now using it more often rather than Windows 98 that came with their computers. They can even use the USB connectors (through a PCI card) which can't be done with Windows 98.

Through them I hope they can spread the beauty and power of Puppy Linux. Regards.

metre9dmt 8-)

john biles

#83 Post by john biles »

Hello metre9dmt,
I glad you like it salamat!

Here's a screenshot of TEENpup 2.0.0 Mini Edition (ISO aprox 140MB's in size)
Please be aware that this screenshot (XFce Desktop) is only to give an idea of what to expect, Icons etc may chance in the final version.

There will also be a bigger version of TEENpup 2.0.0

I've made the ISO 140mb's in size so that PC's with 128Mb's of Ram will run from the CD like other Live Distro's and PC's with 256Mb's of Ram or more will run in Ram mode while still having 100MB's Plus of spare Ram to run all Apps.
Attachments
TEENpup 2.0.0 mini XFce Desktop.jpg
(157.03 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times

metre9dmt

Comments on Screenshots of TeenPup 2.0

#84 Post by metre9dmt »

As my 8-year-old son would say, it rocks! I humbly suggest that the previous menu system should be available as an alternative. This is to minimize retraining and provides more familiarity, especially to previous TeenPup users.

Regards.

metre9dmt 8-)

john biles

#85 Post by john biles »

Hello metre9dmt,
While XFce is available as an option, JWM is still the default desktop.
Also the version of XFce included in TEENpup 2.0.0 Mini Edition doesn't include the option to have desktop icons, sorry and also it only works correctly with Xorg again sorry to those using Xvesa.

Here's a Screenshot of the JWM Desktop, again this may not be the final version.
Attachments
TEENpup 2.0.0 mini JWM Desktop.jpg
(106.96 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times

metre9dmt

TeenPup Apps

#86 Post by metre9dmt »

Since there would be two editions, Mini and Maxi, I hope in the Maxi edition the following apps are still included: JRE, QCad and VYM. Using QCad and VYM regularly. JRE would be useful since I'm testing several Java programs.

Regards.

metre9dmt 8-)

john biles

#87 Post by john biles »

Hello metre9dmt,
As the screenshots are only to give current TEENpup user's an idea of what to expect in the next TEENpup, final Apps included in TEENpup mini isn't finalized.
I can tell you that JRE won't be included in the mini edition as it is a 25MB Dotpup or the online Printer Wizard as it's a 18MB Dotpup. Both will be in the full edition of TEENpup. Just remember you can copy the Dotpups from TEENpup 1.0.0 for JRE and the Printer Wizard and install them in TEENpup 2.0.0 mini.

I'm leaning toward TEENpup 2.0.0 being a mainly install to Hard Drive edition of TEENpup. It will be a larger ISO than TEENpup 1.0.0 so will require a bit more RAM or Swap to run on older PC's Live.

Now can I ask you a question about VYM, does you son or yourself use it alot.
If so has it worked correctly for you and your son, what are your thoughts about it.

TEENpup 2.0.0 mini edition will be released first, early May.

lvds

#88 Post by lvds »

Hi John,

i see you have K3B inside, how did you get it to run ? i thought it needs KDE environment, isn't it ? what libraries are needed to have it to run within JWM or XFCE but not KDE ?

It looks great, keep up the good work ! :-)

Best regards,
Laurent (working hard on a distro for gamers)

john biles

#89 Post by john biles »

Hello lvds,
Some one created a version of Puppy based on 2.10 that Included K3B
I just went though that version and copied all the required files over into TEENpup 2.0.0 which did add aprox 30Mb's to the ISO.
I just believe TEENpup should have a CD Burner as good as Nero.
I'll be doing some more experimenting to see what other K Apps I can get running in TEENpup.

Gekko

#90 Post by Gekko »

This means TEENpup includes QT?! Yay! I won't have to look for it, phew.

metre9dmt

VYM Comments

#91 Post by metre9dmt »

VYM belongs to a class of software called mind mapping software. Basically it is a method of organizing your thoughts, report, etc. I regularly use Freemind since I'm stuck in Windows 8-(. Anyway, mind-mapping software is great for me since it helps me create summaries of books I read. I also use it whenever we are having a discussion about projects we will do. It is a better way of notetaking.

With regards to teaching mind mapping to students, I recommend it to high school level students since they it easy to organize your thought, simplify note taking and better memory retention. But I see no reason why it can't be taught to younger children as long as they have better attention span. I tried to teach it to my son but he is more interested in watching cartoons. Maybe when he is a bit older I will teach him then.

Thanks for including VYM. I can now learn how to another mind mapping software since Freemind may sometimes get boring to use due to its simple graphics.

Regards.

metre9dmt 8-)
Last edited by metre9dmt on Tue 17 Apr 2007, 10:28, edited 2 times in total.

metre9dmt

VYM Comments

#92 Post by metre9dmt »

VYM belongs to a class of software called mind mapping software. Basically it is a method of organizing your thoughts, report, etc. I regularly use Freemind since I'm stuck in Windows 8-(. Anyway, mind-mapping software is great for me since it helps me create summaries of books I read. I also use it whenever we are having a discussion about projects we will do. It is a better way of notetaking.

With regards to teaching mind mapping to students, I recommend it to high school level students since they it easy to organize your thought, simplify note taking and better memory retention. But I see no reason why it can't be taught to younger children as long as they have better attention span. I tried to teach it to my son but he is more interested in watching cartoons. Maybe when he is a bit older I will teach him then.

Thanks for including VYM. I can now learn how to another mind mapping software since Freemind may sometimes get boring to use due to its simple graphics.

Regards.

metre9dmt 8-)

Gekko

#93 Post by Gekko »

You double posted :P and mind mapping software could be useful for me, mainly for to-do's and such. That's what I need on my website, a damn wiki but I can't find a non-database needing one.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

web 2 wiki

#94 Post by Lobster »

try this
http://www.wikimatrix.org/

or maybe
- I have used Webspaces in the past
http://peace.wikia.com/wiki/Tmxxine_Linux

or maybe a web 2 wiki host . . .

WIKI 2.0
Foopad - Create your own wiki. http://www.foopad.com/
Schtuff - Wiki service. http://www.schtuff.com/
Serversidewiki - Mini-wiki. http://www.serversidewiki.com/
Socialtext - Enterprise wiki solutions. http://www.socialtext.com/
Stikipad - Wiki solution. http://www.stikipad.com/ (Submitted by Björn Ognibeni).
Wikispaces - Collaborative content & editing. http://www.wikispaces.org/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

metre9dmt

Double posting

#95 Post by metre9dmt »

I'm sorry for the double posting. When I saw it, I tried to erase but can't.