How to run Puppy at 75MHz with 40 megs of EDO RAM

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: My Pentium 100 with 64MB RAM. hangs during boot, copying

#16 Post by Flash »

HairyWill wrote:...If you want to rip CD to mp3 I'm not sure that your processor is up to it. If any one knows differently I'm very interested, I have a p133 laptop that I would like to be able to do this with if it is possible.
I'm certainly no expert but here's my opinion:

Ripping a CD to mp3 is a two-step process (at least in Puppy). First the track(s) on the CD are ripped to the HDD as a .wav (I think) file, then the .wav file(s) are converted to mp3 by some algorithm or other. If the computer can play the CD then it ought to be able to rip the .wav files to HDD. After that, converting the .wav files to .mp3 can be done at any speed.

So if Puppy can play the CD in your computer, and there's enough room in the Puppy save file to hold the contents of the CD, then it *ought* to be possible for Puppy to convert the CD to mp3 even with a slow processor.

tallboy

#17 Post by tallboy »

I have an old post with signature petur.eu in my archives, the process described may be useful for ripping a CD to mp3 as well. The /dev/shm/ dirctory is present in my LupuPlus, I guess it will be in other puppies as well. I have used it, so I know it works perfectly. I have not edited the contents, so you'll have to pick out he good parts yourself! :D

[quote="petur.eu"]Howto download ISO files directly to a CD/DVD/BLU-RAY

It is possible to download .iso files directly onto a cd\dvd\blu-ray disk.

/dev/shm is a directory found on Debian & RedHat based distributions. (Please let me know if you find it on dists as well)
/dev/shm is a dynamic RAM disk, meaning it’s size will grow and shrink with the size of the files placed there.

The following process is especially ideal for users running Linux from RAM or small USB sticks. No drive space will be used during the process & only a very small amount of RAM is used.

First create a FIFO (first in first out) on /dev/shm

Next we command the burner to write any data written to the FIFO onto the preferred medium (dvd, cd, blu-ray, etc.)

Then we download the file ‘directly’ onto the preferred medium through the FIFO.

And finally we remove the FIFO.

I’ll demonstrate this by downloading the “Fedora Core 13 LIVECD
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

tallboy

#18 Post by tallboy »

I just realized that this is a very old thread, I don't know why it popped up, but I may have found a suitable answer anyway! A few years late, pfuhh! :lol:

I may have pressed a wrong button somewhere... :roll:

tallboy

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, tallboy.

No, it's nothing to do with you pressing wrong buttons, mate.

It's summat to do with this entity..... xushengda0415

I noticed it this morning when I logged on; 'it' joined today, creating 138 posts within around 3 mins.....every one of them dredged up from the murky depths of history, and in every single sub-forum, too. But if you click to see the post created, the Forum throws a wobbly, saying the post doesn't exist.....

I've got a feeling somebody's playing 'silly buggers' with the Forum software.....perhaps as a prelude to a DDOS attack, or something like that? :roll:

Mike. :wink:

sheldonisaac

the xushengda0415 posts

#20 Post by sheldonisaac »

Mike Walsh wrote: I've got a feeling somebody's playing 'silly buggers' with the Forum software.....perhaps as a prelude to a DDOS attack, or something like that?
Ii certainly has been a nuisance, Mike.
Maybe Flash or someone can be of help.

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

tallboy

#21 Post by tallboy »

Yes, I saw the message about the non-existing post. I had opened a lot of posts in new tabs, so by the time I got to it, I didn't remember which one it should have been.

Oh well, using a fifo is an almost forgotten trick anyway... :D

tallboy

Mike Walsh

Re: the xushengda0415 posts

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

sheldonisaac wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote: I've got a feeling somebody's playing 'silly buggers' with the Forum software.....perhaps as a prelude to a DDOS attack, or something like that?
Ii certainly has been a nuisance, Mike.
Maybe Flash or someone can be of help.

Thanks,
Sheldon
I rather doubt in this instance that there's much Flash could actually do, since the 'posts' this thing has created don't, in fact, seem to actually exist.

Flash can't delete posts that don't exist, can he?? And that's the 'trick' I've been trying to figure out most of the day. How can you 'post', yet leave no trace that you've done so?

(*scratches head*)

Mike. :?

James C

#23 Post by James C »

Those 138 posts did exist because I reported them to Flash. I assume Flash is somewhere in the process of getting them removed, looks to me like they are merely hidden at the moment.

musher0

#24 Post by musher0 »

James C wrote:Those 138 posts did exist because I reported them to Flash. I assume Flash is somewhere in the process of getting them removed, looks to me like they are merely hidden at the moment.
We're very grateful. Thanks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

James C wrote:Those 138 posts did exist because I reported them to Flash. I assume Flash is somewhere in the process of getting them removed, looks to me like they are merely hidden at the moment.
Yes, indeed; I echo musher0's sentiments. Thanks, Jim.

Mike. :wink: